Complaint Review: Sears Auto And Tire Center

• Submitted: Sun, July 20, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, September 04, 2008

• Reported By:Tucson Arizona
Sears Auto And Tire Center
4570 N Oracle Rd Tucson, Arizona U.S.A.

Sears Auto And Tire Center 5 day old tires Blow out on the freeway Tucson Arizona

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Debris/pothole

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: what did sears do

*Consumer Comment: Agree

*Consumer Comment: More to the story...rear tire blowout no cause for loss of control

*Consumer Comment: Sears was probably not at fault

*Consumer Comment: Debris?

I recently took my tires on my new 06 Impala to get changed at Sears, on June 16th of 2008, got every single tire replaced with brand new goodyear tires. About 5 days later when I had dropped off my daughter, I was on my way to work when my rear passenger tire blew out on the freeway, I was going about 55 mph when it blew out on me.

I was lucky in the sense that I had no broken bones and my daughter was not in the car with me. But I couldn't help but think what could've happened if she was. Right now here in Tucson there's lots of construction going on at our freeways, I hits the medians on both sides of the freeway and got clipped by a semi, did a 360, until finally my car hit the other side of the freeway, than my airbags deployed. My back has not stopped aching, I have never had any back problems before this accident, I'm young 22 yrs old, and now my back is constantly aching. After the accident I decided not to go to the hospital by ambulance bc I felt nothing at the time it was several days later my back began to really hurt and has gotten increasingly worse.

I went to see the manager at sears the day that it happened, he stated That's why you have insurance several times, and You're okay. I just felt like does the world want me to have broken bones to make something out of this? My car was totaled out, but that put me in more debt bc the car lost some value since the date of purchase, in total I've lost 600 dollars spent on the tires, 500 on the deductable to replace my car...I've gained more debt... and my back is what's worse of this all, pain and debt...all I get is that's why you have insurance.

Janette
Tucson, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/20/2008 12:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sears-Auto-And-Tire-Center/Tucson-Arizona-85705/Sears-Auto-And-Tire-Center-5-day-old-tires-Blow-out-on-the-freeway-Tucson-Arizona-353402. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sears Auto And Tire Center

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Debris/pothole

AUTHOR: Ace26 - (U.S.A.)

As you have mentioned before there is a lot of construction on the expressway. Even though it is unfortunate that you blew out a tire it can happen to brand new tires and old tires alike if it is compromised. A tire is not invincible. It is not fair to blame a company for an accident that you have and it is true to say that that is why you have auto insurance. Tire manufacturers only have a defective tire less than 1 percent of the time. How did the tire blow out? Was it a tear a seperation? A puncture? Unless you understand the physics of the explosion it is hard to pinpoint an accurate cause and lay blame.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

what did sears do

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

why is your accident sears fault . depending on the cause of the tire falure you might have an issue with goodyear but sears is not at fault . i worked for sears 15 yrs and had to deal with this often . people thought if we fixed anything on their car we were responsable for everything . you should be happy no one was hurt and insurance to help covr your loss

Agree

AUTHOR: Clifford - (U.S.A.)

I agree that a blowout will not cause you to crash if you have even moderate experience. Just watch 'COPS'. People run from the police and lose a tire and still keep right on driving. I've had several over the years, I one time had a blowout at about 80 mph in a curve on an Interstate. I just did what the last poster said. Hold the steering wheel (you were holding it weren't you). Brake slowly and ease off the road as soon as you can. Then get out and cuss at it :-). Then put on your spare and be on your way. Years ago blowouts were much more common and maybe we were exposed to them more. I haven't had a flat in years but a construction zone is a perfect place to get one.

Shouldn't be any kind of a big deal. You need experience and they should teach this type of thing in driver training.

More to the story...rear tire blowout no cause for loss of control

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Your story simply does not add up.

There is absolutely no reason that a rear tie blowout would cause you to lose control and wreck, especially at only 55mph.

Totally ridiculous.

I am a Class A licensed commercial driver and a former commercial driving instructor. I am also a qualified mechanic.

The bottom line here is that you have limited driving skills and/or poor driving habits which contributed to the loss of control. The tire blew and you panicked and most likely jammed on the brakes.

The proper course of action with ANY tire blowout is to let off the accelerator and hold the steering wheel firmly, and then apply MODERATE braking pressure and gently steer off the road.

However, the above procedure will not work if you are driving too fast for conditions and/or following too closely, and/or distracted like talking on the cell, putting on makeup, eating, etc.

If there was lots of construction going on, you should not have been driving 55mph! Especially if you were in the construction zone!!

Learn how to drive, and then take responsibility for your own actions.

No rip off here.

Think about it.
Did Sears manufacture the tire? [NO].
Did Sears wreck your car? [NO].

Sears was probably not at fault

AUTHOR: Kelshir - (U.S.A.)

You were traveling down the highway in a construction zone. Odds are GREAT that you hit something in the road. It does not matter how old a tire is, 1 hour, 1 day, 1 year, whatever. You hit debris and your tire will blow with no fault of whoever installed or manufacture it.

And that IS why you have insurance, because with debris you will never get fault from anyone.

Debris?

AUTHOR: The Consumerist - (U.S.A.)

You were in a construction zone The possibility of you running over debris could've been the major cause for the tire to blow out. If thats the case you can't do much against sears of goodyear.

If not check the dates on the tire when it was manufactured if it is older than 6 years then you can put blame onto sears for selling you a tire that has expired it's shelf life.