Complaint Review: Sears Auto Center

• Updated: Sun, May 20, 2012

• Reported By: dontmesswithme — New York New York United States of America
Sears Auto Center
90-20 Queens Boulevard Elmhurst, New York United States of America

Sears Auto Center Alternator Repair Not Needed After Battery Replacement Elmhurst, New York

I went to Sears Auto in Elmhurst New York to get a battery replacement for my car. I already knew from a prior visit with a Toyota Auto dealer that the battery was going bad. Sears made the replacement and then told me that I needed my alternator replaced. Two different reps approached me about the issue .

The first one explained the problem that since the alternator wasn't generating enough electricity my new battery would go bad in a very short time (days or even the next time I start my car) . He said my alternator was generating under 13v. He said a replacement could cost $100 to $200 plus labor. He asked if I wanted to keep my car there so they could do it the next day but I declined.

A second rep approached me and he explained the situation again and said that if I drove my car off their lot that it could void my new battery warranty. He gave me a much higher quote for the replacement $300-$400 for the part + labor. He said I'd have problems perhaps within hours of driving the car with the new battery and that it could go dead.  Again he encouraged me to keep my car there so they could get me a quote and repair it that weekend.  I declined again even with the void battery warranty warning and drove my car away.

The next day I took my car to a (((competitor's name redacted))) to have them replace the alternator, but I asked them to test mine first. They did the testing and told me that nothing was wrong with my alternator at all. They even gave me a print out of their computerized test results showing that everything was fine and that my alternator was working properly at 13.09v.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/20/2012 04:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sears-Auto-Center/Elmhurst-New-York-11373/Sears-Auto-Center-Alternator-Repair-Not-Needed-After-Battery-Replacement-Elmhurst-New-Yo-885435. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sears Auto Center