Complaint Review: Sears - Citibank

• Updated: Thu, February 11, 2010

• Reported By: Colleen — Taylors South Carolina United States of America
Sears - Citibank
1500 BOLTONFIELD ST COLUMBUS, Ohio United States of America

Sears - Citibank SEARS CARD ACCEPTED PAYOFF THEN REFUESD TO ACKNOWLEDGE COLUMBUS, Ohio

*Author of original report: Rebuttal to Sears refusing payoff.

*Consumer Comment: no way

I asked Sears for a call from their Collection Dept when I lost my job and became a victim of Identity Theft in 2007.  Sears never contacted me.  After numerous letters (of which I have copies), I made my own letter to Sears, setting out what I owed and when and how i would pay it off.  They had 30 days to contact me if they did not accept my agreement.  I fulfilled the plan as I said I would, then sent them a letter indicating I was "paid off as promised."  They continued to send me bills and file against my credit.  When I faxed all I had done in dealing with Sears to Equifax Credit, they removed Sears from my Credit Report, and sent a letter to Sears indicating such.  Sears still continues to hound me, using cheap tactics, like having other collections companies call me@ work declaring they will sue me.  I wish they would because I have proof to back up all I have been through with them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/10/2010 03:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sears-Citibank/COLUMBUS-Ohio-43228/Sears-Citibank-SEARS-CARD-ACCEPTED-PAYOFF-THEN-REFUESD-TO-ACKNOWLEDGE-COLUMBUS-Ohio-567499. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sears - Citibank

Rebuttal to Sears refusing payoff.

AUTHOR: Colleen - (United States of America)

The amount I gave them was what they originally requested.  Additionally this was a 2-year process with over 34 letters and numerous unreturned phone calls.  I think the most telling point is the support I have gotten from the 3 major credit agencies, all of which agree that I paid the debt and should therefore be cleared of further responsibility, and that this debt should be removed from my credit report.

no way

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (U.S.A.)

I'm sorry, but YOU don't get to dictate the terms of payoff. If Sears was interested in accepting less than you owed, or was willing to reduce payments and extend the payback terms, they would have let you know. You aren't clear about whether or not Sears responded to your letter, but I'm assuming they didn't. Regardless of the payment schedule YOU set up, if they didn't agree to it and it was for less than what you owe (or there were late payments) they have every right to report you to the credit bureaus.