Complaint Review: Sears Credit Card

• Submitted: Thu, August 07, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, August 07, 2008

• Reported By:Elgin Texas
Sears Credit Card
1500 Boltonfield St. Columbus, Ohio U.S.A.

Sears Credit Card Sears changed payment due date to 10 days earlier without warning to get late fee. Columbus Ohio

Warning to all always review your monthly Sears bill immediately upon receipt. They may have changed your billing due date.

For many-many years, my Sears card had a billing due date of the 5th to 9th each month. I have a recurring monthly charge for Life Insurance, so I know what to expect every month. I pay my bill online on the first of every month, without looking at the mailed statement.

For some reason, in May 2008, they changed my bill due date without any warning. The statement I received in April 2008, was paid by the 5/7 due date (paid online on/about 5/1). For some reason, about the 17th of the month, I checked my account on line and noticed I had a payment due on 5/28. Everything from my prior payment looked okay, being posted well in advance of the due date. There were no new charges, other than my normal monthly recurring insurance charge.

But now, my next payment was due 10 days sooner than what it has historically been, and before the date I historically pay it, and only about 17 or 18 days after the date of statement generation. I did not receive my printed statement by mail until the 23rd of May, which seems like hardly enough time to mail a payment in.

Had I done as I normally do, which is pay on the first, I would have had a late payment. Does not seem fair to be able to shift a billing due date to an earlier date by 10 days, without some type of warning. There should also be a something to require billers to allow for return of payment by mail, as 5 days does not seem like enough time.

To top things off, for my June statement, they reverted back to the prior due date, being the 7th of July.

Judi
Elgin, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/07/2008 01:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sears-Credit-Card/Columbus-Ohio-43218/Sears-Credit-Card-Sears-changed-payment-due-date-to-10-days-earlier-without-warning-to-get-360434. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sears Credit Card