- Report: #1096650
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Sears Holding Corporation
Sears Holding Corporation Deceptive Click-through Allows Sears To Reach Into PayPal Account Internet
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
When ordering an item from www.sears.com and paying by PayPal, the PayPal site presented me a click-through that read "Use PayPal for future payments to Sears Holding Corporation.". The click-through is deceptive in several ways:
- I was expecting to make a one-time payment for the tool I was purchasing, but in addition to that PayPal added Sears Holding Corporation (SHC) to my list of active preapproved payments, with an immediate start date and no expiration date. This essentially allows SHC to reach into my account for money whenever they feel like it.
- I was expecting to pick up the items at the local Sears store, but in addition to that PayPal added the address of the Sears store as an authorized shipping address in my PayPal account.
- The click-through displays a large "Agree and Continue" button, but only a small link in the following paragraph to cancel the transaction. [continued below]....
I have never seen another merchant hijack a PayPal account this way for one-time purchases picked up from the store. It is clearly not common practice and is not expected by the consumer. SHC is intentionally using visual deception to dissuade the consumer from cancelling out of the transaction so that SHC can gain increased control over the consumer's PayPal account. Sears has lost all my future business.
To make matters worse, PayPal makes it difficult for the consumer to find the interface for inactivating preapproved payments, and PayPal requires that one payment method always be associated with preapproved payments. So if a vendor sneaks in like this, they are guaranteed some form of payment. The consumer can never say to PayPal "Don't ever use my credit card for preapproved payments". I'm disheartened that PayPal has stacked the deck against the consumer this way.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/03/2013 01:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sears-Holding-Corporation/internet/Sears-Holding-Corporation-Deceptive-Click-through-Allows-Sears-To-Reach-Into-PayPal-Accou-1096650. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.