Avenue

• Submitted: Sun, August 29, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, July 26, 2011

• Reported By:Leawood Kansas
Sears Home Improvement
3825 Forsyth Road North Hollywood, California U.S.A.

Sears Home Improvement Ripoff misrepresents lies decieves and swindles elderly on air conditioner and services North Hollywood California

*UPDATE Employee: Sad but true

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I feel for your father

*Consumer Comment: Yikes!! pursuing a complaint against Sears

My 86 year old father's air conditioner gave out last summer. He immediately called Sears Home Improvement for an estimate to either repair or replace his old unit. They only gave him one choice, a very expensive $13,000 system. My father said that he really couldn't afford it, then the saleman brought it down to $11,600.

My father was very distracted by the ill health of my mother as well as his own and obviously in dire straits because his house was so hot. Sears never offered him a "standard" $5-6000. system" or any other alternative.

Now, after it's installation, a member of the California Contractors Commission confirmed, after going over the individual charges for their air conditioner, that they were grossly overcharged and many of the items charged for were "gibberish".

The Sears rep. Leon Pikor has denied everything. He claim he offered my father a cheaper alternative. Don't you think an 86 year old man, on a fixed income, in poor health and many medical bills would choose a less expensive option if offered?? Of course! The Sears rep was just trying to swindle an elderly couple in their desperate need. We're looking for justice!

Sharon
Leawood, Kansas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/29/2004 09:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sears-Home-Improvement/North-Hollywood-California-91607/Sears-Home-Improvement-Ripoff-misrepresents-lies-decieves-and-swindles-elderly-on-air-cond-105969. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sears Home Improvement

Sad but true

AUTHOR: Carter - (United States of America)

Sears Modus Operandi

One of the best names in America, Sears, known for value and quality, is a chew them up spit em out corporation - at least the home improvement division.

I went to work for Sears because of their reputation, but found dishonesty, unethical practices and lack of concern for the customer until they get pinched. The employees really should band together for a class action law suit.

The management says one thing but does another and it seems to be corporately systemic. When it comes to the employee, they could care less if you stay, they will just train some more. It is truly moronic - as with just a few basic changes they really could be a good company and have a stable work force.

But this works for them for one very good reason - they invest very little in the employee. The employee pays for their own car, gas and maintenance all related travel expenses unless it is an overnight stay (hotel) and receive a meager $0.21 per mile to travel routinely 1 - 3 hours to a customer and sometimes more.

It is not uncommon to travel 6 - 8 hours a day and then include the actual appointments. The appointment center tells the customer it will be 60 - 90 minutes when in fact, that is just the start and the length of time for the mandatory presentation (which is monitored corporately second to second on each presentation slide). Then comes the measuring and pricing of the product and one is lucky to get out of the house within 3 hours.

Even though we give the customer a 7 day quote offer and good for 90 days, we are expected to hard sell on that first day (do not leave the house without a contract and money), and others come behind us if we do not, offering "thousands and thousands" off our original quote. Stab me in the back!

The rest of the employee's pay is commission and that is set up to defy proper analysis by the employee and to benefit the corporation - translation: watch your money! Shorted hundreds of miles in a month's time of reimbursement and thousands of dollars in commissions.

They send employees out as "Trusted Advisors" with little training and in some products virtually none, and when you make a mistake, they take it out of your commission.

This is a rude awakening for me... a one time loyal Sears customer.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I feel for your father

AUTHOR: Simply Honest - (United States of America)

I was a Rep for 5 months, until i realized the situation and walked. Sears grossly over charges so much so it should be investageted for it. You are tought from day one to sell, sell, sell the most expensive product, no matter what the situation elderly, young, rich or poor. If you don't you get repramanded for it. The managers treat the rep's like robots and are very cruel. On one ocassion on a Sunday I had let them know weeks ahead of time I needed that day off for my sons birthday not only did I get leads I got for one at 10am one at 2pm on at 5pm and on at 7 pm. I called them and all I got was do them or move on. Needless to say I missed my sons birthday. I didn't take me long to see there was a constant flow of new sales reps going through the place. It's a very cold hearted atmosphere. I feel for you father and all the others that have been in that situation.

Simply Honest

AUTHOR: Larry - (U.S.A.)

In August, 1999, we had to replace our old A/C unit on our 1,800-square-foot house in Phoenix. We purchased a Carrier heat pump with a 10-year extended warranty and the whole job ran only $4100.

I hope you are pursuing a complaint against Sears as that was one serious rip-off.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC