Complaint Review: Sears Roebuck & Co

• Submitted: Tue, February 03, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, May 04, 2004

• Reported By:Mason City Iowa
Sears Roebuck & Co
1720 S Federal Ave Mason City, Iowa U.S.A.

Sears - Sears Roebuck & Company Refurbished sold as new Mason City Iowa

*UPDATE Employee: It doesn't happen

*UPDATE Employee: If you worked there you should know better...

I can state as a former employee and consumer, that many of the items (read: TOOLS) are not new. I have found many single packaged items to be refurbished (meaning reconditioned)in tools.

I had a 3/8" ratchet break (strip the ratchet mechanism). I took in the ratchet to be replaced. The sales person brought out a "ratchet repair kit". I explained that I wanted a "new" replacement tool and that the kit wouldn't work since the ratchet handle was stripped.

The sales person then brings me a new ratchet. I noticed that inside the plastic package, there were dings and dents on the ratchet handle. I opened the package to discover that the "NEW" ratchet was actually a used tool that was reconditioned.

Well, later I was employed in the automotive department of the same Sears store and noticed this with several returned tools that were exchanged by customers. It seemed that many different hand tools were reconditioned and packaged on the shelves as "New" tools.

This is not uncommon, all the years I have been a mechanic, I have traveled to many Sears stores thru out several states. So...buyer beware and carefully examine before you buy. That new tool may not be so new! I now shop for my expensive tools somewhere else...after looking them over carefully.

CJ
Mason City, Iowa

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/03/2004 02:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sears-Roebuck-Co/Mason-City-Iowa-50401/Sears-Sears-Roebuck-Company-Refurbished-sold-as-new-Mason-City-Iowa-79086. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sears Roebuck & Co

It doesn't happen

AUTHOR: Chris - (U.S.A.)

I have worked for Sears for more than 4 years, and I am now a store Manager. I have been a Hardware manager in the past. We do replace used tool with refurbished tools, and we make no secrete about it. I have replaced used with new in the past, in the case that we did not have a refurbished tool to match theirs or in the cases that the person is a professional and they needed the new tool. New still last longer than refurbished. Every tool on the shelves is either brand new, or marked as used or refurbished. I do not believe that this person is telling the truth, I just wanted to make sure that people recieved both sides of the story.

If you worked there you should know better...

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

I highly doubt you worked at Sears because if you did youd know better than to post something like this.

If you read the terms and conditions of the crafstman warranty, USED HAND TOOLS ARE TO BE REPLACED BY REFURBISHED HAND TOOLS. You have never been able to get brand new hand tools, I understand that Sears let people get away with it but it costs to much money to keep giving away freebies.

Also, if you worked there youd know that if the store has used tools in plastic then thats a STORE issue, because when the whse ships tools they are direct from the company...