Complaint Review: Sears

• Submitted: Mon, January 24, 2005
  • Updated: Tue, February 15, 2005

• Reported By:Ypsilanti Michigan
sears.com Ann Arbor, Michigan U.S.A.

Sears Ripoff Stinks Lousy service and then some Ann Arbor Michigan

*Author of original report: Correction ..& Sears and Kmart due to the co-mingling of companies are the only two stores that I currently refuse to patronize.

*Consumer Comment: Wayne, are you for real?

*Consumer Comment: ARE YOU FOR REAL?

*UPDATE Employee: Are you for real?

Quick tale-- Saturday 1/15/05 ordered mattress set from Sears after searching 20 minutes for sales help. (Briarwood Mall, Ann Arbor, MI). Offered free delivery as incentive. Sounds good, but they still charge a customer $50 and then customer has to complete forms and mail in for rebate--STUPID---just don't charge me the $50--now that is free delivery. Wasn't told that until already on charge card, but wanted new bed too much to argue. Delivery scheduled for Saturday 1/22/05---time frame unknown.

Friday eve 1/21/05--called delivery number for automated voice to tell me that my mattress will be delivered Saturday 1/22/05 between 3:30pm and 5:30 pm. It starts snowing in Michigan this Friday evening HARD!!!
1/22/05--still snowing and I'm shoveling for hours. Checking messages b/c I can't believe that the delivery will happen. 3:15pm---still no call, but CNN and all major networks are covering this huge snowstorm over Great Lakes states. I have not heard from Sears and the new mattress and springs could be delivered in 15 minutes. I have shoveled a lot and salted the steps so nobody will slip. (Moved my car out of the way too.) It's 3:15 pm so I take all of the linens and cover off of my old mattress and break down the bed and haul it out to the living room so it is ready to be removed. 4:10pm I'm outside sweeping snow off of the steps and a call comes from a number with a "512" area code that there won't be a delivery today b/c of weather. Where is "512"? I know that it is no where in Michigan. WOW, it is in Austin, TX and they just are psychic and know so much about MI weather that they have decided to give me a call about it as if I didn't know...
there will be no delivery due to the weather conditions...I see red...why wait until 40 minutes after the delivery time to let me know?

I call Sears delivery number and talk to some woman who reminds me that the weather is lousy??
Well no kidding I've been shoveling for hours, but you could have told me at 10am that you weren't going to come, anyone around here knows how bad this weather is and where are you at? She is in Columbus, OH. Well idiot, if Sears had any one in Michigan making these calls they would have called hours ago because the weather has been awful and the roads worse since last night??? Why wait until 40 mins after delivery time, and don't tell me that's when they knew..

Well those big delivery trucks and the snow, yada yada...big trucks can actually do quite well in the snow because they weigh a lot and are full of heavy things like my mattress and springs...

Sears rep--Well, I don't own Sears so I can't decide where the call centers will be." Well, I say, if you don't care enough about customers in Michigan enough to have one here where people can figure out what the weather is then I don't want your products.

Sunday 1/23/05 try to get money back. Guess what? There is still no one to help customers in the mattress department. Same deal as the day I ordered the darn thing, so I go to the main cash register and a manager is paged overhead. She finally comes over after about 10 minutes and then tells me that she "isn't even supposed to be working today, and I'm not sure that I know how to do this return.." Uh, oh....I'm in for a long one...YES, she does not know how to do a return and when I tell her how pissed I am about what happened yesterday she looks at me like I'm a bug under a microscope. Finally the mattress woman wanders over and they have a chat about how do you work these darn cash registers anyway ( well, not really but neither one of them could get the $50 delivery charge refunded). I finally sat down on a nearby mattress set to try to remain calm. It turns out that they couldn't get my $50 refunded because it wasn't in the computer that my mattress was never delivered. (They hold on to that $50 like it's the only thing between them and Chapter 11). Finally, after calling Brandon in the warehouse who can confirm that I didn't somehow get a mattress yesterday, and waiting 5 more minutes for that startling information to go through the computer, and the sales lady telling me how she couldn't get to work yesterday because the weather was so bad...I got all of my money refunded. When I told the manager that I'm never, ever shopping at Sears again, she looked at me like tell me something that I have not heard before.

I'm from MI and used to try to shop at KMart because they were originally from MI and I'm kinda sentimental like that, BUT NO MORE KMART OR SEARS shopping shall I do....creeps!

Ypsilanti, Michigan

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Sears

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/24/2005 02:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sears/Ann-Arbor-Michigan/Sears-Ripoff-Stinks-Lousy-service-and-then-some-Ann-Arbor-Michigan-128699. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sears

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

One correction--I didn't finish the sentence correctly. My dad was an automotive engineer in the truck division at Ford for over 30 years and at Chrylser for 9 years prior to that. I am not stating an opinion about heavier trucks being able to negotiate snowy roads decently without some factual basis for that statement.
Wayne re not having any place left to shop, Sears and Kmart due to the co-mingling of companies are the only two stores that I currently refuse to patronize. Given that I'm nearly 40 years old and have been shopping and spending money at stores for 20 years plus, I think that I deserve some decent sevice when I'm spending almost $650 in one day at a Sears store. That's the "American Way" isn't it?

Wayne, are you for real?

AUTHOR: Patrick - (U.S.A.)

This customer received absolutely horrid service from Sears. Would you expect any less of a response from someone who experienced the headaches this customer had?

And the thing about the delivery charge being refunded via a rebate, Sears (and all the other companies that do rebates) know that half the customers won't follow through with doing the necessary paperwork to get the rebate. And others will be denied the rebate for some stupid reason. Why not just offer free delivery, period?

The storms in Michigan started that Friday evening. Saturday morning they were totally snowed in. You mean to tell me there were so many deliveries scheduled, they couldn't have gotten a call to him prior to 3:30pm?

I also no longer shop at either Sears or KMart. I'd rather fight the crowds at Wal-Mart instead. At least there I know there is some kind of service available.

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

I said quick tale--read between the lines, I LEFT OUT ALL OF THE OTHER SERVICE ISSUES for the past many years that finally broke this consumers back. YES, I do expect Sears to have a call center in Michigan to handle those types of issues. Yes, I'm sure that there were other people expecting delivery that day, however, I DO NOT believe that there were so many that they could not have informed all of those customers within a one hour time frame that morning.

As for the truck drivers safety, my dad is an automotive engineer so I'm not saying that heavier vehicles have an easier time negotiating snowy roads then lighter small autos. The employee in Columbus OH who told me that she did not own Sears so it wasn't up to her where calls centers are located also did not help. Wayne, type "Sears Sucks" into a search engine and see everything that comes up...I wish I would have done that before shopping there for a matress. By the way, our you hourly or salaried and what is your position?

Are you for real?

AUTHOR: Wayne - (U.S.A.)

Okay to your own admission you noticed that outside it was snowing heavily outside. You were shoveling snow and it was reported on national news about how bad the weather was. If you were a truck driver, would you risk your life and limb because a mattress needed to be delivered?

Now put that aside, if you received a call saying that your mattress was not going to be delivered that day, do you really care where the call came from? And even if it was say 40 minutes after the delivery window, did it cross your mind that maybe you were not the only person scheduled to have delivery that day to be canceled? (FYI many companies use call centers that may not be in your location)

As far as a rebate for delivery, do you honestly believe that Sears is the only company that offers a mail in rebate for their deliveries? That's pretty much standard practice of many companies and there's not much that anyone can do about that.

As far as not getting service... well many retailers in late January will cut their hours back and that may cause some delays in service.

As far as getting the delivery fee returned... is it possible that delivery is expensive to the company and as a result there may be some procedures that must be followed to issue a return on that fee?

I think that patience would have been a prudent course of action instead of returning back to the store to cancel your order. Also vowing never to return to a place after such a frivelous excuse is going to leave you with very little places to shop