• Report: #319605

• Submitted: Thu, March 20, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, April 14, 2008

• Reported By:n fort myers Florida
Sears
P.o.box 6924 The Lakes, Nevada U.S.A.

Sears/kenmore false name on product...false advertising on tv newspaper..no such thing as no interest for one year..its called deferred in small words The Lakes Nevada

*UPDATE Employee: Im semi sympathetic but...

After retiring to Florida last year, my husband and I purchased all new appliances from Sears.Stove. side by side refridgerator,microwave,dishwasher,all stainless steel and all Supposedly..Kenmore.

called repair..was told because of no extended warrenty, we would have to pay the $60.00 service charge.. I told them that it was 0bviously a defect in the stove.. repair man told me the same.. also he called his supervisor while at my home..He put the speakerphone on..After supervisor heard my voice, he told the repairman that If He Ever Did That Again, He would be fired..He was a loss for words because he said he needed the job for the insurance. Still had to pay the $60.00.

Have called so many numbers..Everyone gives me therun around.. No one cares, and no one wants to take responsibility. Everyone says should have bought the extended warrenty..

And also,, tv ads and newspaper ads constantly advertise appliances No Payments, No Interest for one year.. After purchasing, you dont pay attention..but in small print.DEFERRED...is the word. Interest charges turn out higher than the actual cost at the end of the year..What a RIPOFF

Maryann
n fort myers, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/20/2008 08:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sears/The-Lakes-Nevada-88901/Searskenmore-false-name-on-productfalse-advertising-on-tv-newspaperno-such-thing-as-319605. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sears

AUTHOR: Beuren - (U.S.A.)

Full disclosure: I sell fridges at Sears part time. I get in trouble sometimes for being too bluntly up front with customers cause Im gonna tell you how it is. There are 3 fridges on the floor when people look at them I say don't buy that Ive gotten several referrals from customers who bought from me because I steered them away from problems. This in a generally low price beats all referral free marketplace.

>and all Supposedly..Kenmore.<
>But the biggest thing of all was: Our appliances say Kenmore, but, after checking they are FRIDGIDARE....<

Sears makes NOTHING. Kenmore SXS fridges are either Fridgidaire or more likely Whirlpool (In your case Fridgidaire?)... If the filter is inside at top it is Fridgidaire. Bottom Grille is Whirlpool. Bottom Freezers are LG or Amana (and Amana is really Whirlpool) Top Freezers are Fridgidaire or Whilpool though most likely Fridgidaire. Have I made you dizzy yet?

Some GE's are really made by LG.
Whirlpool owns Kitchenaid, and Maytag and Amana and Jenn Aire. I get a big kick out of Consumer Reports rating nearly identical units by different Whirlpool divisions radically better than another.

Samsung might now be making stuff for other mfg too. I saw a fridge at a competitor that bore a scary resemblance to a Samsung they also had. I was just passing through but I know what to look for

Your salesman sucks for not knowing and telling you who the actual mfg of your items were. I push the Whirlpool SXS because they are, on average, better. I rather like Fridgidaires top freezers but strongly prefer WP for side by side (SXS)

>16 months later, icemaker in fridge broke.{did not purchase extended warrenty.} 2 days later the oven vent burned a hugh hole into the top of the stainless steel stove panel{ retired and hardly ever bake.}<

Your salesman sucks for not explaining that the protection agreement is more than a warranty and covers other things besides extending... 12 months goes too fast. You can debate Sears sometimes ridiculous wait times for service and very uneven competency levels, but you would have been covered.

You gambled, and lost. 12 mos is 12 mos. Sorry but that is brutally true.

>Have called so many numbers..Everyone gives me the run around.. No one cares, and no one wants to take responsibility. Everyone says should have bought the extended warrenty..<

You can thank Fast Eddie for that. That's what happens when a money man buys a retail store.

>If I buy a Chevrolet car, and it really turns out to be a hyundia.even though it says right on the front..is that not a crime.<

No, and technically Hyundais, as measured by number of defects per 1000 cars, and for that matter more subjective measures, rate better. More good news. There are multiple autos built in joint mfg plants. 2 name badges, 1 platform with no difference except a name.

>tv ads and newspaper ads constantly advertise appliances No Payments, No Interest for one year.. After purchasing, you dont pay attention..but in small print.DEFERRED...is the word. Interest charges turn out higher than the actual cost at the end of the year..What a RIPOFF<

Again your salesman sucks. When people take the deferred I tell them what that means in brutal terms and the fact its 25% interest. Sears cards are NOT sears. They are Citi Bank. The no payment part is a big trap. They are gambling you don't make payments during the year and can not come up with all the money before year end so they get to sock you with the 25% interest RETROACTIVELY.

The weird twist to this is the backup card (by HSBC) for marginal credit peeps can actually be a better card if your credit is too bad for Citi but good enough to get the no fee option from HSBC. Its like 16% for HSB no fee.

I do not know of ANY store cards that are any different. There may be a few holdouts but the VAST majority of cards are from the big banks and they all run the same trap. I tell my customers. Got 20 bucks? Come into Sears and make a payment. Chip away at the balance because not getting to zero by year end means YOU LOSE.

Come to think of it salesmEn because fridges are usually sold separate of the rest of the kitchen. Neither of them told you who the actual mfg of your items was? And that the interest was deferred, not free?

You buy this from the internet? A lot of them don't know poo about fridges; same with the many of the Sears Hardware people. (they are generalists). Also when calling into many stores you first get the internet sales division. We call it the steal-a-sale line. When calling in to give me on-your-way-home grocery lists my wife will sometimes will play with them. She will give them a model number and like half couldn't find it by the model number! You have to insist on being passed onto your store now. Ask them directly if they work at your local store. If they vaccilate or say I work with them insist on being passed to the store.