Complaint Review: Sears/K-Mart Corporations

• Submitted: Wed, June 11, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, February 15, 2009

• Reported By:zanesville Ohio
Sears/K-Mart Corporations
3515 N. Maple Avenue Zanesville, Ohio U.S.A.

Sears/K-Mart Corporations False Advertising In Local K-Mart Ad Dated 4-27-08 thru 5-03-08!! Zanesville Ohio

*Consumer Suggestion: Ad Advice

*Consumer Suggestion: Which is why I will not shop there anymore.......

*Consumer Comment: Interesting

*UPDATE Employee: not false advertising.

I went in to the K-Mart store to purchase a Craftsman shovel in their ad dated 04-27-08 thru 05-03-08. I was told to go to the local Sears store to purchase this item. After further questioining of the clerk I was told that ALL MERCHANDISE on that page was not available in that store. I was also told this was not the first ad advertising that merchandise was listed for sale in their K-Mart ad but customers were re-directed to the Sears store to purchase this item. There was no disclaimer on this page notifying the customer to go to the Sears store.

The time was aftter 9:00 PM when I went to the K-Mart store and therefore my local Sears store was closed. I was also informed that if I lived in the south end of Zanesville that the merchandise I needed was available in that store because the south K-Mart does not have a Sears store located near them.

To make matters worse I went to the Sears store the next evening (using more $3.70 per gallon gasoline to make a second trip) to find out that the clerk had no idea of the K-Mart ad so it was good that I had taken my ad with me or I would not have been charged the correct price. There was "1" shovel in the store!!! I live in a town that serves 50,000 people!!

Again to add more insult: When the receipt came up, an additional piece of paper came out stating I had SAVED .20 (yes, 20 cents) for driving to the Sears store!! How insulting when gasoline is $3.70 per gallon!!

I have: 1) spoken with the store manager 2) Called a K-Mart support line (who "lost" my complaint) and 3) contacted the Sears corporate office who gave me this web site address.

What I want is for someone in the advertising department to "wake up" and call me. All I want is for K-Mart to put a disclaimer on their ads stating that this merchandise is not available in that store or simply put ONLY AVAILABLE IN YOUR LOCAL SEARS STORE at the top of the ad page.

The real fix is that the north K-Mart should stock this merchandise.

This is false advertising.

zanesville, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/11/2008 10:14 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SearsK-Mart-Corporations/Zanesville-Ohio-43701/SearsK-Mart-Corporations-False-Advertising-In-Local-K-Mart-Ad-Dated-4-27-08-thru-5-03-08-339246. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sears/K-Mart Corporations

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Ad Advice

AUTHOR: Crystal - (U.S.A.)

K mart ads are usually sent nationwide. However due to some demographic research not all merchandise are in the same stores. In the fine print of the ads you will read merchandise varies by store location.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Which is why I will not shop there anymore.......

AUTHOR: Cat - (U.S.A.)

Welcome to the wonderful world of K-mart/Sears, which of course is as you know one in the same now. I got tired of this HUGE problem in my local K-mart and found out from my local store that although the circular goes out their store may not even get ONE item in their store for that sale item! I found it odd that if I went to my local Wallyworld store that I never had that problem! Fine and dandy, so I took my business else where! I have been back perhaps 3 times in the past 10 years and that was because I was buying bedding plants and had nothing to do with an ad coming out.

I also found the prices cheaper at the other local stores even WITHOUT the "sale ads", so I do understand your frustration. While K-mart may not consider it "false advertising" , "I" do and so "I" have taken my household business away from K-mart and moved it elsewhere. Since I am disabled and I watch every penny I make , I will continue to shop at a business that STOCKS their circular ads on their shelves not just in the ads themselves! Now is it really a wonder why K-mart filed for BK?? Come on now......

......Oh and I NO LONGER hear those lovely words......." Would you like to sign up for a credit card"?? LOL I'm laughing myself all the way to my bank cause I have money since I save money at another local store! lol

Good luck, Cat

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

First of all, please tell me where gasoline is only $3.70 a gallon because that is a true BARGAIN if ever did I see one.

Secondly, if you could not afford the gasoline to drive across town, then why would you do so to save a measly 20 cents on a SHOVEL?? It seems like there are many other stores at which you could purchase a shovel, many of which are likely closer to your place of residence.

not false advertising.

AUTHOR: Christian - (U.S.A.)

I'm pretty sure most people know that the circulars they send out dont have everything they have at every store in the country, and Everything in the circular is not at the store. I work at K Mart myself, and I have to deal with people many times a day who believe the notion mentioned above.