Complaint Review: Seattle Coffee Direct.com

• Submitted: Fri, May 25, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, December 16, 2009

• Reported By:Shoreline Washington
Seattle Coffee Direct.com
990 Grove Street #204 Nationwide U.S.A.

Seattle Coffee Direct.com Causing unhappy customers to mistakingly call our company for restitution Evanston Illinois

*Consumer Comment: I have also been ripped-off

*Consumer Comment: What a bunch of hooey

*Consumer Comment: outrageous

* : Comments for Jeff Berman - Customer Service Director

* : Free coffee? In United States ven freedom isn't free, so no thanks !

*UPDATE Employee: Clearing Up The Confusion

*UPDATE Employee: Apologies for your dissastifaction

*Consumer Comment: MyPoints Notified

*Consumer Comment: Failure to be open & UPFRONT with DETAILS

*Consumer Comment: Seattle Coffee Direct is not to blame for consumers failure to READ!

We have been getting flaming emails and phone calls for well over a year regarding the company, Seattle Coffee Direct. We have wasted countless man hours returning emails and phone calls to extremely unhappy customers that have been taken by Seattle Coffee Direct. It appears that this company attaches itself to a lot of different promotional or survey type websites and people are not paying close attention as to what they are getting themselves into before ordering. One scenario is that the customer will receive a free coffee grinder if they order coffee from them only to find that they are charged something like $34 on a continuous basis from their credit cards.

I continue to route those customers to Rip Off.com in hopes that something can be done or at least give customers an avenue to voice themselves. I have even gone as far as to post a message on our website explaining that we are NOT Seattle Coffee Direct! However, we continue to get these calls and emails.

Seattle Coffee Direct is neither in Seattle, nor are they a roaster. Because of this problem (after 14 years) our on line business has suffered big losses in sales due to mistaken identity or the fact that Seattle Coffee Direct chose to use the name Seattle to draw our customers.

My patience has run out and I appeal to you (Rip Off.com) to post something about this company to bring it to everyone's attention that our company has a long standing reputation to honesty, quality, and service, and that this Seattle Coffee Direct is not associated with our company in any way. If you would like I could provide you with a long list of emails from those that have been scammed by Seattle Coffee. Direct.

If you have any questions please feel free to email or call me direct.

Sean
Shoreline, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/25/2007 09:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Seattle-Coffee-Directcom/nationwide/Seattle-Coffee-Directcom-Causing-unhappy-customers-to-mistakingly-call-our-company-for-re-250333. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Seattle Coffee Direct.com

I have also been ripped-off

AUTHOR: swayball - (United States of America)

I signed up to try and Seattle Coffee Direct delivery program and receive two travel mugs. My first order arrived with no travel mugs and a different coffee from which I had ordered. A few days later, I received more coffee and the mugs. Then, I started receiving coffee every few days. I called to cancel - waited, coffee kept coming, I kept being charged. Eventually got through to them and they cancelled (again) and sent me email confirmation and refund.  That was in early August 2009.

Now, November and December, I have again started receiving coffee shipments - this time to the tune of $79 a pound! I have tried to call and keep being offered the choice of leaving a message - they don't return my message. Tonight, I got a live person, she put me on hold and after waiting 5 minutes, it was disconnected.

Apparently I am going to have to close my debit card acct tomorrow morning in order to stop being charged - This sure is a lousy time of year as I have outstanding Christmas orders as well as could use the $160 which has been stolen from me. I would be happy to know if anyone has managed to get their money back from this company. I would also be interested in how to complain and to join any class suits.

What a bunch of hooey

AUTHOR: lisaviolet - (United States of America)

I canceled the Seattle Coffee Direct account I opened before I ever received a package, back in June 2009. I refused both packages, was promised a refund on both that I never got. After contacting my credit card company in October to dispute the charges, somehow, my account got reactivated and on my last credit card statement were two charges of $79.00 each. I called the toll free number, left a message that was never returned. My credit card company customer service rep did the same thing when I called to dispute the charges.  No return phone call.

The first package arrived last night, the UPS man did not ring the bell.  I had no chance to refuse it. My husband took it to a UPS store today and they said "we can't accept that, it has a post office box as a return address.  But that's pretty smart of the company to do."  I called UPS and they'll be making a return label and pick up this package tomorrow.  My credit card company has advised VISA to not accept charges from this company on my account.

I did some research and found the company information on Google.

Evanston, IL 60201 (888) 217-2233

contact email: info@coffeeroastersdirect.com

This morning, I filled out a complaint form for the Attorney General of Illinois (http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/).  Printed it out, signed it and filled out an envelope and put a stamp on it.  It's in the mail. I'm looking into other places to file official consumer complaints about them. I advise everyone dealing with them to do the same.  I'm curious if there are some larger legal ramifications because they're doing business interstate.  I'm researching that, too.

As a last resort, I'll just have my credit card number changed. But it's a shame these scammers have been allowed to scam as long as they have.

outrageous

AUTHOR: D.Dubya - (United States of America)

On their own they reactivated a closed account !!  started billing my account for 75 dollars for 2 pounds of coffee !!!!!!!   I called, seattle direct said, oops.. our mistake and they would credit my account. 2 weeks later I was hit for another 2 pounds of coffee again 79 dollars !!   I called again, oops.. that shipment was already in the works but you shouldn't receive any more and we will credit your account in 30 to 60 days !!
I SHOULD BE ABLE TO FILE THEFT CHARGES !!

#4

Comments for Jeff Berman - Customer Service Director

AUTHOR: Jeff Cox - (USA)

Mr. Berman (submitted an update to the original report),

Are you posting as a consumer, as the text of your first post suggests, or are you the Director of Customer Service posting a "commercial?"  Which is it because you said both which impacts your credibility.  If your desire is truly "100% customer satisfaction," your customer service representatives need to be fired at worst and better training at least.  I've been one of the fine print victims of this company and after almost 5 months, am still waiting for a refund of over $300.  I should caveat, the last representative I spoke with today, (Nate, is his name) noted my refund was process on July 24th and the 2 billing cycle deadline does not end until Sep 24th.  Got it.  However, your corporate policy is flawed on its face.  This is the 21st century.  Electrons move through computer networks at the speed of light.  I transmit an electronic funds transfer and the transaction is immediate.  There is absolutely NO practical reason why a refund of merchandise not in my possession MUST take 2 billing cycles.  Please spare me the, "It's our policy," rhetoric.  I've already been through that in July when I contacted your company.  The reason is no one wants to tell the customer the real reason why.  If you refund me immediately, as well as all the other 100% satisfied customers you've angered, it will impact your bottom line DRASTICALLY and you don't want you stake holders to see that kind of outflow of capital.  So you hold on to my money and money from others (and probably make inverstments based on this inaccurate accounting practice).  Nothing short of stealing.  Nate tells me you've been in business for 10+ years so he's not concerned about the high number of complaints you've received.  He's not even authorized to tell me the corporate address of this company.  The gentleman I spoke with before calling back and talking to Nate, hung up the phone on me when I asked if he was aware of the high volume of consumer complaints.  The supervisor I spoke with in July couldn't even explain the rationale behind your 2 billing cycle policy.  In this you are consistent: the bottom line is more important than the consumer.  Good luck in your next 10 years of business.  It may take luck, because your business practices will require it.

#5

Free coffee? In United States ven freedom isn't free, so no thanks !

AUTHOR: Safety - (U.S.A.)

I have run into a free offer on Facebook. $5 for 2 bags of coffee and some mugs. To my surprise the coffee would not stop coming and only a month later I have learned from my bank statement that the $5 offer was actually a $25 billed order with 2 shipments per each following week at $38. I immediately googled Seattle Direct only to find out that there are many (!) online articles on getting ripped off by this company! I called Seattle Direct and cancelled my order, I was asked to return all the coffee -9 unsolicited orders in all to get a refund. The coffee isnt actually all that good, according to my wife, a java lover, I am returning all this to sender come Monday, good riddance and wish me luck getting my money back.

Clearing Up The Confusion

AUTHOR: Jeff Berman - (U.S.A.)

Dear Sean and Consumers,

I apologize for the confusion. Seattle Coffee Direct is an online coffee club with its corporate headquarters in Evanston, IL. Customer Service Representatives can be reached Monday thru Friday, 10 am - 6 pm at 888-217-CAFE. They would be happy to assist any customer with their account. For further clarification, please visit our website, seattlecoffeedirect.com, and specifically the Details and Terms page of our offer, https://www.seattlecoffeedirect.com/TC2.php. I hope this information proves useful.

Sincerely,
Jeff Berman
Direct of Customer Service
jberman@seattlecoffeedirect.com

Apologies for your dissastifaction

AUTHOR: Jeff Berman - (U.S.A.)

I am very sorry for any troubles you may have had with our company, Seattle Coffee Direct. Be assured that at Seattle Coffee Direct our goal is 100% customer satisfaction. Please call to speak to a customer service representative at 888-217-CAFE so that we may swiftly rectify this situation. By providing us with some basic information, such as your name and zip code, we can look up your account to clear up any problems. If you are unsatisfied in any way, we will reasonably provide refunds, return shipping information and anything else that will make your experience with our company more satisfactory. For further clarification, please see our details and terms at https://www.seattlecoffeedirect.com/TC2.php.

Sincerely,
Jeff Berman
Direct of Customer Service
jberman@seattlecoffeedirect.com

MyPoints Notified

AUTHOR: Linda - (U.S.A.)

I am a consumer. I love the fresh roasted coffee from Peets (another company totally NOT related to Seattle Coffee Direct). I just joined MyPoints and checked into Seattle Coffee Directs offer (free grinder and $9 coffee). I DID read the fine print about $25 fee, and recurring deliveries. I did NOT FALL for the offer. Instead I found rip off reports and informed MYPoints if they persist in associating with this disreputable firm then I would drop them. I think it worked.

If you find Seattle Direct Coffee's offer on any offer site, then you too can be a consumer advocate and stop these alleged crooks.

By the way, Peet's is wonderful coffee. You can mail order and sometimes they offer free shipping. Peet's is also going to be available in grocery stores. If you want a reputable coffee brewer try Peets.

If you see Seattle Coffee Direct or Seattle Direct Coffee advertised on any website...by all means contact the website and do what you can to get them banished.

I apologize to the Seattle Best Coffee for having their name mistaken for the alleged scammers at Seattle Direct Coffee. Very tough situation.

Failure to be open & UPFRONT with DETAILS

AUTHOR: Older & Smarter - (U.S.A.)

Seattle coffee direct Hides it's small print, explaining the details of their offer.

It is very deceptive, to say the least! All Decent online companies have policies in place so that, when you place an order, you are the taken to a page where you read AND CHECK acceptance to the "details" BEFORE your order is processed!

That is what I'm used to, & what I expected, but the order just went straight on through...without CONFIRMATION. I am sure that is exactly what thay intended when they designed this site.

Too many people are getting scammed this way.

So, FYI

Seattle Coffee Direct is owned by

Peel.com

Check out their website

Seattle Coffee Direct is not to blame for consumers failure to READ!

AUTHOR: Kleidouchos - (U.S.A.)

I can understand that you are frustrated over getting calls/emails from people angry at Seattle Coffee Direct, however Seattle Coffee Direct should not be held responsible for the failure of those who complete their marketing offers to READ the details and terms & conditions of the offer.

The information provided by Seattle Coffee Direct DOES state what consumers will be charged up front as well as that their further recurring charges will be (their correct contact information is also provided). As a matter of fact, they even provide a toll free number right on the front of their website.

The same people who are not reading the offer details and getting upset are also NOT reading the information that comes up when they type in Seattle Coffee into Google, searching for contact information. Because they are (again) not reading, they are contacting your company instead of the proper one (which is also not the fault of Seattle Coffee Direct).

You stated, "Because of this problem (after 14 years) our on line business has suffered big losses in sales due to mistaken identity or the fact that Seattle Coffee Direct chose to use the name Seattle to draw our customers."

I honestly don't think you can stake claim on the name "Seattle" in relation to coffee, considering Seattle's Best Coffee has been around for 30+ years.

There is also Seattle Coffee Works, Seattle Coffee Gear (.com)

Once again I must state that it is wrong to blame (and slander) another company because consumers fail to READ the clearly stated details, terms and conditions of an offer.

If your company is suffering such big losses, I suggest you install a simple answering device on your phone system that tells every caller you are in no way associated with Seattle Coffee Direct (.com), if they are trying to reach Seattle Coffee Direct, please call (888-217-CAFE). If they are trying to reach Seattle Gourmet Coffee "press 1".

Good Luck!