Complaint Review: Second To None

• Reported By: snowedinsaltlake — Sandy Utah United States of America
Second To None
P.O. Box 18323 Golden, Colorado United States of America

Second To None American Cash Award Fraudulent Company! Golden, Colorado

Tashana Burton showed up on my doorstep, showed me her "proper i.d. and paperwork," and proceeded to tell me she was working with a non-profit org. called Second to None - helping single mothers break the welfare cycle.  I normally don't buy door to door (only from neighbor kids), but she sucked me in with her sob story about how she was trying to make a good life for her and her daughter.  She wanted a "hand up, not a hand out."  She told me that for every magazine she sold she would get so many "points" toward an educational opportunity thru Second to None.  She stated that these magazines would be sent to a local charity called the Christmas Box House (abused & neglected kids) in my name.

I looked thru the selections but there were only 4-5 kid appropriate magazines & I pointed this out.  She said they also sent them to the local YWCA & other charities @ the valley.  After standing on my doorstep for abt. 20 in freezing cold, I decided to help her out and signed up for one children's magazine to be sent to the C.B.H. She said it was $62+$15 processing fee = $77 total!  She agreed price was high & I could find lower online, but stated I would be helping not only her out, but the children of the C.B.H. as well.  I was completely snowed -this woman should win as Oscar.

I wanted to believe in her, so despite my gut, I wrote her a check and she went on her way thanking me profusely.  The next morning it still didn't sit right with me so I called both YWCA & Christmas Box House - neither had heard of it!  I knew at that moment I had been scammed!  They were upset she was using their names to scam people out of money - $ they could actually use in donations!

I feel stupid I bought into this, so I am trying to spread the word.  I essentially handed over a check (paid $20 for stop payment) in the name of charity, only to have it go straight into a fraudulent company's pocket!  THEY ARE THIEVES!!  This FOR PROFIT group apparently has been doing this for years nationwide and getting away with it.  They need to be stopped!!  I  have notified the local police dept., the BBB and the FTC.

UTAH BEWARE!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/11/2010 12:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Second-To-None/Golden-Colorado-80402/Second-To-None-American-Cash-Award-Fraudulent-Company-Golden-Colorado-579856. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Second To None