Complaint Review: Service Protection Advantage

• Submitted: Fri, May 10, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, April 23, 2014

• Reported By: donny4luv — Los Gatos California

Service Protection Advantage SPA refused to prorate unused premium for 4 unused years of coverage. Internet

*Consumer Comment: Service Protection Advantage refused to prorate unused contract as well!

I purchased a 5-year extended warranty for my GE Profile Dishwasher in mid 2012.    After many repairs, we decided it wasn't worth the hassle anymore because it leaked and repair work was usually sub par.    I called SPA in April 2013 and was told by one of their authorized representatives that the $344.00 premium for the unused 44 months of coverage would be prorated and returned to me.   I needed to send them a letter of cancellation with refund instructions, which I did.

When I called SPA today (May 10, 2013), to check on my refund I spoke to Dave (Operator 0243) and he informed me that the fine print Terms and Conditions would not allow a prorated refund because I had repairs that totalled $500.00.   As such, my refund would be zero.   I told him that had I known that, I would have kept the extended warranty for another 4 years.   Told me that they would not reinstate the policy and I would have to buy a new policy.     Said that I needed to read the T&Cs carefully and that there are many unqualified SPA Agents that don't understand their policies very well.   I was told Buyer Beware!

I am now without a\n extended service policy and am not able to reinstate the balance of my 5-year extended service warranty on my GE Dishwasher.    This is a total ripoff, sad that companies like this are not regulated by the Govenement and they can get away with such unethical business practices.   How many people are qualified to read the fine print.  I was never given a copy of the T&Cs from SPA, guess that's my problem.

Stay away from these guys.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/10/2013 03:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Service-Protection-Advantage/internet/Service-Protection-Advantage-SPA-refused-to-prorate-unused-premium-for-4-unused-years-of-1049958. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Service Protection Advantage

Service Protection Advantage refused to prorate unused contract as well!

AUTHOR: TerriTornado - ()

I agree with the post by donny4luv from Los Gatos, California.  We moved into a new house that had all GE appliances....my first worry!  After the manuafacturer's warranty expired, we extended them with Service Protection Advantage.

We placed a call to SPA for our washer, which was under a 3 year contract that was just renewed and covered until January 2015.  The technician was dispatched, but was unable to work in our house because we own a cat!  The cat was in another part of the home.  I was so frustrated that I asked about cancelling the contract and receiving a prorated portion of the service contract amount.  The representative at SPA advised me as to how to go about contacting their contracts department and gave me the indication of what amount we would expect to be owed.

After about 10 days from faxing the letter to SPA, I called to check on the status, only to be told that the administration fee and the one service call (the that tech did nothing) outweighed the amount of the entire contract!!  They never told me that I would have been better off to hang on to the contract and the time remaining....that would have been good business.

I agree, definitely stay away!!