Complaint Review: Shaw Carpet

• Updated: Wed, October 07, 2009

• Reported By: Debbie — Madisonville Kentucky USA
Shaw Carpet
616 E. Walnut Avenue Dalton, Georgia United States of America

Shaw Carpet Shaw Industries, Inc. Bad Carpet. Shaw Carpet refuses to honor warranty! Dalton, Georgia

*Author of original report: This matter is satisfactorily resolved. Shaw Industries has been 100% fair.

*Author of original report: Shaw Industries Called Me - Here is an update - so far.

Shaw Carpet refuses to honor their warranty.  This is what happened:

On June 2, 2009, 288 square feet of Shaw-Traditional Elegance # 52P13 was installed in our home by Carpet Town in Madisonville, KY. The total cost, including carpet, pad and installation was $913.49. This amounts to $28.55 per square yard. As you can see, this was extremely expensive carpet, and based on the 5-star rating this carpet was given, we purchased it believing that it was extremely durable.

Within a month, a small section of the carpet was spot cleaned using Folex Carpet Spot Cleaner and a sponge. After cleaning, it was very apparent that something terrible had occurred. The carpet was completely breaking down. There was a huge fuzzy spot on the carpet. We contacted Carpet Town and Mr. Mark Weir came by to inspect. He said he had never seen anything like it before. He left stating that he would contact Shaw Carpet and would let us know when someone would be by to inspect.

On July 30, 2009, a representative of Tri-State Certified Inspection Services came by to inspect the carpet. The representative stated that Shaw Carpet had hired his company to perform the inspection. On August 28, 2009, we received a copy of the report, along with a letter from Julie Day, Warranty Claims Administrator stating that Shaw cannot honor the warranty based upon the findings that there was excessive agitation.

Carpet Town states that there is nothing they can do as the warranty is covered by Shaw, not by them. We disagree with the findings that there was excessive agitation. We sprayed the spot cleaner on the carpet and rubbed the spot with a sponge. How is that excessive? We were not given a copy of a warranty nor were we given instructions on taking care of the carpet. We have had much cheaper carpet in the past that held up so much better than this carpet has. We believe that the carpet fibers themselves were defective which made them break down when rubbed with the sponge.

On August 31, 2009, we mailed a certified letter to Vance Bell, CEO of Shaw Industries.  We asked that they reconsider our case.  We sent pictures showing the extent of the damage.  We have heard nothing back from him.

We are in the middle of pulling this carpet up and replacing it. This is a shame because the problem was reported within a month of spending $913.00 for the carpet and the carpet is less than three months old. It is obvious to us that this type of cleaning should never cause this type of damage.

This carpet cost almost $1,000 for a section measuring 12 x 18.  It lasted less than 3 months.  The company refuses to do a thing about it.

This could happen to you.  Buy any brand other than Shaw Carpet.  They totally ignore problems and will not honor their warranty, even when it is obvious that the carpet is defective.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/05/2009 08:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Shaw-Carpet/Dalton-Georgia-30722/Shaw-Carpet-Shaw-Industries-Inc-Bad-Carpet-Shaw-Carpet-refuses-to-honor-warranty-Dalt-504455. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Shaw Carpet

This matter is satisfactorily resolved. Shaw Industries has been 100% fair.

AUTHOR: Debbie - (USA)

It seems that I was hasty in posting my first report on this website.  Shaw Industries called back today.  Their tests showed that there was no defect in the carpet.  They still believe that I scrubbed too hard on the carpet.  I still believe that I did not.  It will probably never be known whether I did or not.  But, the important thing is, they listened to my concerns and want to make matters right.

It is my firm belief that Shaw Industries is more concerned about having a satisfied customer in lieu of not honoring a warranty that they believe should not be honored.

I did ask why I did not get a response from my letter to the CEO and apparently my concern did slip through the cracks.  To be fair, they have thousands and thousands of customers and in trying to meet all those needs, there is bound to be some miscommunication sometime.  The main point is that they are concerned about my situation and the matter is being addressed by Shaw.

I am 100% satisfied with Shaw and especially with their customer service.  I would definitely recommend them.  They are a top-notch company in which to do business.

Shaw Industries Called Me - Here is an update - so far.

AUTHOR: Debbie - (USA)

To be fair to Shaw Industries, I wanted to update to add that I received a call today from a gentleman from Shaw Floor Industries.  When the 3rd party inspector came, he took a fair size sample back with him.  According to the gentleman that called today, Shaw is sending that piece to a testing lab to see if it shows any signs of being defective.

He said he would call me back to give me the results in 4-5 days.

I don't know if this will resolve the issue, but it is a start.  At least they are not totally blowing me off.

I will update when I get the call back.  Thanks Shaw for at least showing an effort and listening to me.