Complaint Review: Sheldon Jackson College - SJ - SJC

• Submitted: Sat, November 03, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, October 11, 2013

• Reported By:Eugene Oregon
Sheldon Jackson College - SJ - SJC
801 Lincoln Street Sitka, Alaska U.S.A.

Sheldon Jackson College Aka SJ Aka SJC ripped off students, faculty and staff... supposed "Christian" college Sitka Alaska

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Nicole from OR being sued for false statements

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Nicole gave out false information Nicole will be sued for $ 5 million when I get her address from legal at rip off report,com

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Things you did not know about Sheldon Jackson

*Author of original report: Alaska Commission on PostSecondary Education

I started to attend SJ in August of 2004. I had one previous semester of college under my belt, but I was not very sophisticated when it came to financial aid. I knew enough to know that because I had a single mother, and because we were, as a family, not even making close to the federal poverty level, my financial aid would cover all of my expenses, and I should receive a refund. Below, see a list of my expenses (roughly) and my aid I received (roughly)

Expenses:

Room/Board scholarship (SJ): 3000
Academic Scholarship (SJ): 1000
Grants: 2000
Loans: 8000

Now, as you can see my expenses were $9650 for one semester. My Financial Aid was $14000 for that same semester. When I questioned this with Brian Chamberlain, he informed me that this additional aid would be refunded to me and I could use it to get a computer for classes (as SJ computers were about as dysfunctional as can be) and supplement my family income since I was no longer contributing to it (being in school and all). I questioned whether or not it would have any effect on future aid, he stated a firm and solid "No." I asked if I would get the same amounts every semester. He informed me that yes, I would.

So, when my refund check for $4000 came, I bought a modest laptop and I sent the rest home to hep my family. About a month later, in a scandal to end all scandals (up until then) SJ tried to fire Brian Chamberlain for misspending federal financial aid funds only to find he had already fled on the early a.m. plane.

And then the second shoe fell. I was called into the office and told that not only would I have to repay my refund, which was out of my means as I was not working at the time (focusing on my education and all), but I would also lose my scholarships because they were not "authorized"

Now, I ask you, if none of this was authorized, why did my check contain the signature of the then current CFO, Len? Did he not question this? Does the school have no responsibility to take the fall for those that they hire?

All of my future bills showed a past due balance of $4000. At one point I signed a payment plan because I was told if I did not sign it, I could not continue to go to school there. I was desperate not to be kicked out, so I signed it. It had me paying all of the amount due in less than six months. I paid what I could, but was unable to complete it. It was nearly a year ago that I learned that what they had done was illegal under federal laws. I contested the bill and they never responded, except to send me more bills.

As of August 20th, I spoke with the head accountant at SJ (Debby). She informed me that if I did not pay in full by October 20th, I would be turned over to collection (don't even get me started about SJ not paying their debts to their faculty and students... someone should turn them into collections). On October 10th, they turned over the account. A full ten days earlier than promised, or allowed. They also turned over my account while it was in dispute, which is illegal.

I plan on fighting this, but I am just so sick of SJ, they should not be allowed to do this! Where is the justice?

Oh, and for those who might think this is just a fluke...check the news. SJC closed on June 29th, giving faculty and staff one days' notice, canceling all benefits, and they still have not paid back taxes, wages, or anything else owed to anyone of their stake holders. Also, the state has pulled their right to operate due to their financial instability.

Nicole
Eugene, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/03/2007 08:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sheldon-Jackson-College-SJ-SJC/Sitka-Alaska-99835/Sheldon-Jackson-College-Aka-SJ-Aka-SJC-ripped-off-students-faculty-and-staff-supposed-282697. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sheldon Jackson College - SJ - SJC

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Nicole from OR being sued for false statements

AUTHOR: xoxo - ()

Nicole is wrong in her report

Her budget is wrong.  It should be based on 9 months and those are not the approved amounts

I was never fired and this is a false statement.

She needs to come clean with her address and email so I can send the lawsuit

She also never gave her last name or any contact- she is afraid.

Be human and give out the information

Brian Chamberlain

312-343-0722

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: xoxo - ()

Brian Chamberlain was never going to be fired.  Brian Chamberlain loaned the company a lot of money to pay its' bills.  Also the information she gave out was after I left.  Also the company was in trouble when I arrived.  Nicole iscurrently being sued for $5 million wil rip off report for false information.  I need Nicole's email and address to file the lawsuit against her and rip off report is refusing.

Brian Chamberlain

312-343-0722

#3 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Things you did not know about Sheldon Jackson

AUTHOR: mayfair4 - (United States of America)

This is Brian Chamberlain and the students need to know that The school was under reimbursed for 7 years before I came there.

I had to report to the Department of Education every month with one employee, myself and 6000 papers to copy every month by myself on  a single copier. I had to also answer questions every day by the department of education for all past mistakes.

The college was flat broke. My computer training was not there. The former director Louise got the school in trouble.
Also before I left, I had a clean audit, by the colleeg auditors.

The school' paycheck bounced every two weeks.

AUTHOR: Nicole - (U.S.A.)

I conferred with the ACPSE, and they confirmed my suspicions, SJ cannot enforce the payment plan, nor the bill, under current state and federal regulations regarding the disbursement of federal financial aid.

In addition, I reviewed my loan records with the Department of Education and discovered that, contrary to what SJ told me, they DID NOT return those loan monies to the bank (which is what caused me to supposedly owe them the money), in fact, they KEPT THEM! Which means they want me to pay twice...don't think so!

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC