Complaint Review: Shell Food Mart

• Updated: Sun, June 12, 2011

• Reported By: Tammy — Atlanta Georgia United States of America
Shell Food Mart
1790 Howell Mill Road Atlanta, Georgia United States of America

Shell Food Mart Gas; over-charged; claim dismissed by employee/owner?; refund request ignored/denied Atlanta, Georgia

*Consumer Comment: Like I said before

*Consumer Suggestion: Never seen that happen.

*Consumer Comment: So

*Consumer Comment: Some places have started charging more for customers using credit/debit cards

*Consumer Comment: next time

On today, Wednesday, June 1, 2011, I purchased gas at the Shell Food Mart located at 1790 Howell Mill Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30318. As an aside, this was my first time patronizing this location, which posted a price of $3.79/gallon for regular grade fuel. In addition to the $.10/gallon discount that I would receive from points accumulated on my Kroger Plus Card, I was expecting to pay only $3.69/gallon for my fuel.

I went through the process of: (1) swiping Kroger Plus Card to verify that I have points to receive the discount; (2) swiping credit card for payment which includes keying in my zip code; (3) removing the nozzle and inserting into my gas tank; (4) selecting the gas that I wanted (87), which is verified when the display on that selection blinks off; (5) filling tank; and finally (6) requesting receipt. Ive done this a million times; piece of cake right? Well, not this time.

Upon reviewing my receipt, I noticed that I had been mistakenly charged for premium gas. Concluding that it was a computer error, I went inside the store to bring this matter to the attention of the manager on duty. I was immediately dismissed by the person that I spoke with (who claimed to be the owner), as he claimed that there was no way that what I was saying could have occurred. Basically, if the receipt shows that I purchased premium, then that is what I selected. I told him again that I did not select premium but rather regular fuel. Again, I was dismissed. In short, he called me a liar and we got into a shouting match, expletive upon expletive, which Im not proud of, but I was so furious that he would not honor my complaint. He even went so far as to claim that of the thousands of people that buy gas there, I am the ONLY one that this has ever happened to. I challenged him with what I believe to be a fact that most people dont review their receipts; therefore, would likely miss such a discrepancy. Again dismissed. He said that if he were to put his card in, he was sure that it would make the correct selection. I told him that maybe it would, but that still doesnt negate the fact that the computerized equipment overcharged me. He went even further to say, after following me to the parking lot, the hose on the pump probably hit the premium button and that is why I was overcharged. This was my final dismissal before I got into my car and left the premises.

I have never encountered such an unscrupulous business person who would not even hear the customers story before brashly stating, The customer is wrong. I have thus far submitted a verbal complaint to Shell via a phone number I obtained from the corporate website. I will also put my complaint in writing to them as well. I will pursue any other avenues available for complaining about this store and its shoddy business practices and letting the public know that this location is not customer friendly.

This may not be a big deal to some (maybe most), but honestly we pay enough already without having businesses like this one cheat us on top of the high prices.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/01/2011 04:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Shell-Food-Mart/Atlanta-Georgia-30318/Shell-Food-Mart-Gas-over-charged-claim-dismissed-by-employeeowner-refund-request-ign-735711. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Shell Food Mart

Like I said before

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

Some gas stations have a cash price and a credit card price. This is usually clearly posted at the pump or near by. Simple as that. Next time ask question ---- is there a difference between the cash price and the credit card price? You can always go in and ask before you pump that way you don't get suprised at the end of the transaction. The amount is usually just a few cents per gallon and is usually just 30 or 40 cents more (for a 10 gallon tank).

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Never seen that happen.

AUTHOR: J g shrugged - (U.S.A.)

What did Shell say?

I've never seen a pump charge someone for a different grade of gasoline than the one that was delivered.

Have you filed a complaint with the state?  They should have an agency that checks these things.

So

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You are claiming that there is a zero percent chance that you selected the wrong grade of gas?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "on that selection blinks off".  But when you select a grade of gas, I have always had the pump display the selection not turn it off.  So it looks like that would go toward the owners claim that you selected the wrong grade.

There is another possibility, depending on the gas station the order of the grades may different at the pump.  So by habbit you may have selected the grade that was on the left.  Which at your other gas station is 87, but at this one is 92.

Some places have started charging more for customers using credit/debit cards

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

Some stations have started charging more to use credit/debit cards instead of paying cash (some stations have done that to begin with).
They do this to offset the amount that they are charged when processing your credit or debit card.

Completely legal. Next time just ask before pumping or check for the price to change when you select debit or credit instead of cash.

next time