• Report: #191647

• Submitted: Mon, May 15, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, May 16, 2006

• Reported By:Patterson California
Shell Gas Station
Intersection Of Highway 33 And I-5 Santa Nella, California U.S.A.

Shell Gas Station Got charged for pumping air into my gas tank! Santa Nella California

*Author of original report: they will refund my money!

*Consumer Suggestion: go back

I stopped at a Shell gas station to buy gasoline, in Santa Nella, CA, at the intersection of highway 33 and I-5. I used my debit card and started the pump. I thought it was weird because I did not hear any sound of gasoline flowing. But the counters on the pump were showing that gas was flowing and the money charged was increasing. I was stupid not to check my suspicion not hearing the sound; because I was only pumping air into my gas tank.

After some time, the pump continued to show gallons increasing and it went 6 gallons over my gas tank capacity, and my gas tank was not even completely empty to begin with. I was shocked, and when I realized I was getting ripped off, I immediately took it out. Then I turned it on again, aiming at the ground, but no gasoline came out. However this time the counter did not increase. I fetched the clerk, and he saw no gasoline was coming out of it. It would have been more proof had the counter rolled again, but it was not rolling any more.

I spent about an hour at the station, but he would not give me my 70$ back for the gas I never got. He said, it is Sunday, the manager is unreachable, I will call you tommorow, blah blah blah. I finally called the Sheriff, and he did not do anything also. I had proof of my receipt showing 20 gallons of gas being charged and showed the deputy Sheriff my vehicle manual saying the car has a 14.5 gallon tank. But nothing came of it.

I do not expect to get my money back.

Should not have used my debit card, atleast with the credit card I could have disputed with my credit card company and had the payment stopped.

Oosman
Patterson, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/15/2006 05:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Shell-Gas-Station/Santa-Nella-California/Shell-Gas-Station-Got-charged-for-pumping-air-into-my-gas-tank-Santa-Nella-California-191647. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Shell Gas Station

they will refund my money!

AUTHOR: Oosman - (U.S.A.)

Just got a call from the gas station that they will refund my money!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

go back

AUTHOR: Sonya - (U.S.A.)

go back to the same pump and check there should be a little sticker on the pump stating that this pump had been check by the department of weights and measurements. Once a year all gas pumps must be checked to make sure the are correct. Let them know what is going on and see if they could check it out. Let the company know what is going on and what was said to you. and make sure you document everything. who you talked to the date and the time when the conversations started and stopped. Also you will need to have on hand a copy from the company that makes your car with the specs for the gas tank. Good luck