Complaint Review: Shine Competition 2013

• Updated: Fri, March 08, 2013

• Reported By: Vera — Vancouver British Columbia Canada
Shine Competition 2013
5000 Guardian Ct Spring Hill TN 37174 Nationwide United States of America

Shine Competition 2013 Jeff Sievers, Shine Competition, Shining Star Competition Talent Scammers from John Robert Powers Use Dead Child As Sales Tool! Vancouver, Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: Thank you for speaking the truth!

*Consumer Comment: I Didn't Think it Was a Scam Either

*General Comment: Our Positive Experience

*Consumer Comment: Shine is a Positive Experience and Jeff is the Victim of Jealousy

Jeff Sievers who was fired from John Robert Powers and i-POP for generating so many complaints (just google his name) has now stooped to an all time low.

Sadly, Jeff lost a child due to brain cancer. Most human beings would grieve, but Jeff and his backers see this as an opportunity for a scamming families out of thousands of dollars for over priced acting classes and promises of fame and fortune.

It all begins with a phony radio ad urging CHILDREN to text in to a call center for a chance to be cast in a show with a top Disney or Nick star. The ad also states that it is limited to the first 200 callers.

Once you arrive to your "audition" they tell you all the reasons you should do invest in your child's "career" and parade a bunch of made up success stories or paid endorsers. (Sometimes they get an out of work Disney has-been or a 2nd rate Talent Agent to endorse them.)

Next you are asked a series of questions which have very little to do with your child, and more to do with whether or not they think you will go for it. They hype the kid up, and send them on their way with some copy written material to read for their audition.

Lastly you are handed a DISTURBING pamphlet with the prices! Anywhere from $1900 (the same as John Robert Powers) to $5700.00!!! Then they have the nerve to ask extra for photos and training!

At the back of the pamphlet there is a list of agents "endorsing" SHINE, but when I contacted them they had never heard of it!

If you hear these phony radio ads, please call the station you heard it on and ask them to STOP supporting this scam!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/08/2013 02:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Shine-Competition-2013/nationwide/Shine-Competition-2013-Jeff-Sievers-Shine-Competition-Shining-Star-Competition-Talent-Sc-1025701. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Shine Competition 2013

Thank you for speaking the truth!

AUTHOR: Ripped Off - ()

Thank you so much for your complaint.  We were were another family ripped off by JRP in December 2012 in South Bend, IN.  My complaint will be posted today 5/17/13 under the name "Ripped Off."

Again, thanks for speaking the truth.

I Didn't Think it Was a Scam Either

AUTHOR: Concerned Parent - ()

In December 2012 my son was part of the auditions held in South Bend Indiana for John Robert Powers, Inc.  He received a call back and was signed up for the class.  It was a great deal of money and we knew there were no promises but we decided it would be a good experience.  He even had a friend who went through the program last time Jeff came through town.  Based on the friend's experience and call back to I POP, we felt this was a legitimate situation.

Things started out positively with an instructor brought in for teaching all of the individuals.  The group was probably 25 people or so and things seemed to go well.   The contract was for a certain number of classes and an agent showcase where agents would review the kids talent. There were 2 weekends of the instruction that went well and everyone was getting coached with their singing, modeling and dancing.  Then things started falling apart.  Before the 3rd weekend, we were notified on Friday night it would be cancelled due to the "corporate office" not booking a plane ticket for the instructor.  That was the last we saw of this hired instructor.  She was very nice when contacted after the fact, however she was an employee at the time she came to instruct and no longer employed when contacted later.  No explanation given by JRP (Jeff Siever's group).

When the classes were rescheduled, Tabitha Sievers, Jeff's wife was the instructor.  I felt this was not unusual, that the family business needed someone to fill in and with many small businesses, the owners do this if no one else can.  The classes were less professional at this point and Tabitha also had her 2 year old daughter in the classes.  This was starting to not seem right.

Finally the weekend of the agent's showcase had arrived.  the part the kids were working towards.  The agents ended up being Tabitha Sievers and another person who showed up 1 and a half hours late.  The students all went through the auditions and were promised they would hear back within one week whether they would go on to I Pop, get a contract or a call back. When asked, Tabitha Sievers said that they would hear from her EITHER WAY.  This was the second weekend in January 2013.

That Sunday was the last we heard from Jeff or Tabitha Sievers.  There was never a call back.  The parents have kept in contact with each other by email.  No one ever got a call back.  Various parents have tried the phone numbers on the cards, contracts, etc and they are either disconnected or never answered.  The address on the contract is a UPS store in Tenessee.  In an effort to track someone down to hear SOMETHING, some parents reached out to the photograoher brought in for the modeling photos.  According to the photographer, they have not paid the bill and they have sent them to collections.   Some parents have also taken legal action locally.  I am not sure how that has turned out.

To wrap this up, I am not a bitter parent writing because my son wasnt a star, I knew how much I was paying and made a conscious decision to pay it without a guarantee of stardom or a guaranteed call back.  I would say that 25 people are owed a call back, an explanation or maybe even a refund.

Jeff Sievers tugged on heart strings with the daughter's story (which is legitimate, I googled the obituary the night of auditions to ensure it wasnt fabricated) and discussed his Christian values and how the kids needed to be good students, etc.  All the things parents want to hear.  However, when everyone wanted to hear from he and his wife, we heard nothing.

In the end, as much as I didnt want to believe it, we had all been scammed.  I am not sure what happened. He had been through South Bend in the past and people had positive experiences.  It would have been so easy to call those kids back and just say they didnt get a call back from the agent or IPOP.  Instead, they heard nothing and had a piece of their childhood taken away to not trust someone.

Save your money and dont trust this tandem, under any company name.

#3 General Comment

Our Positive Experience

AUTHOR: Diana - ()

My 11-year old daughter has performed in a Shine Competition event and I just wanted to share that it was a positive experience for our family. I can't imagine how much time and effort went into putting the event together, but I realize that anything worth working for has risks and has costs.

We had the pleasure of working with a wonderful director who taught the kids so much in the last several weeks. Yes, it was an investment on our part, but it's also an investment on those behind the production. We feel certain that the ripple effect will be a positive one and we are grateful for the inspiration behind Shine.

Shine is a Positive Experience and Jeff is the Victim of Jealousy

AUTHOR: anonymous - ()

I have personally been a friend and colleague of Jeff Sievers for over 6 years and I must say that his intentions have always been the best at heart. I have recently been to Shine as a spectator in several areas of North America and I must say that the experience of the parents and children and integrity of the program have always been the best interest of the company and of Jeff Sievers.  It is unfortunate that other individuals at other companies who also showcase talent view Jeff as a threat and are completely attempting to defame his character and destroy his relationship with his family and daughter.

In fact, whoever wrote this article failed to do their research and do not have any information or proof to back up the claims they are making.  Instead of spending time creating false reports, these individuals should pay attention to dealing with their own company, lawsuits against them as they recieve more complaints than any other showcase competition.

When I was in the audience, Jeff made it very clear that weather or not they participate in SHINE he wanted them to at least walk out feeling inspired by Shayla's story and message.  His daughter shared with him a message she wanted me to share and that is what he was doing.  This is his way of keeping the spirit and energy of his daughter alive.  These individuals have now taken it upon themselves to create a malicious personal attack.