Complaint Review: Shop NBC

• Submitted: Sat, February 04, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, November 30, 2006

• Reported By:Port Charlotte Florida
Shop NBC
h.fox@shopnbc.com Reynoldsburg, Minnesota U.S.A.

Shop NBC ripoff Reynoldsburg Minnesota

*UPDATE Employee: Appraisals and disclosure

*Consumer Comment: TV Talk is cheap

*Consumer Suggestion: ring appraisal

*Consumer Suggestion: Don't trust Shop NBC or Howard Fox ( h.fox@shopnbc.com)

I ordered a diamond ring from Shop NBC. I don't usually take this chance but the salesman said it was such a good buy that an appraisal for $700. would be sent with it. It was reduced to 279.96. We figured it must be ok if they send an appraisal. When I ordered I asked that person too & she assured me I would get an appraisal. Well it came & no appraisal. This tells me something is wrong & it's false advertising. I can't get thru with calling customer service & have gotten no answer thru the net. I have proof of this being said since I taped the show. I had better get one or will go to TV & the papers for others who order from NBC!

Joy
Port Charlotte, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/04/2006 09:09 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Shop-NBC/Reynoldsburg-Minnesota/Shop-NBC-ripoff-Reynoldsburg-Minnesota-174722. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Shop NBC

Appraisals and disclosure

AUTHOR: Autumn - (U.S.A.)

I am a current employee of ShopNBC and even if I weren't one the information for the appraisals is clearly stated on-air and on the website. Perhaps there was some misunderstanding of what was being included, I don't know, but what I do know is that the information is clearly posted. I have copied an example below, however bear in mind that it is from a random piece of jewelry that I found had an appraisal done on it:

"A sample of this item was sent to an independent certified jewelry appraiser. Its replacement value was appraised at $813. Please note you will not receive a copy of the appraisal with your purchase."

This item is item # J155612 and you can find it by going to the ShopNBC website and entering that # in to the search area. This is not one that has been placed on the site to fool people, simply do a search for yourself and enter "appraisal" in the search box and see for yourself. The appraisal information is very clear and is stated clearly on the air during the portion of the show where they are showing the appraisal certificate. It is not printed in small letters either. It is clearly printed right on the screen in the same portion of the screen where the appraisal certificate is shown. It is in the same size text as the rest of the information and there is no attempt to hide or disguise the information.

TV Talk is cheap

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

It is easy to say stuff on TV to impress people into buying their product, but the fact of the matter is...they never post anything personal about their product... Unless there is a guaranteed 100% no asking money back policy from a TV advertiser that sells NAME BRAND stuff, like HSN selling Gateway computers (for example), then don't trust this SHOP NBC s**t JUNK. God, I hope SHOP NBC goes bankrupt, that would be a dream come true. They conning a*s holes deserve it.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

ring appraisal

AUTHOR: Andrea - (U.S.A.)

I am a frequent ShopNBC customer, primarily for jewellry. I have never heard any host say an appraisal will come with the item, Perhaps they mispoke. I have seen appraisals on air. Have you asked a jeweller to look at the ring and see if the price you paid was a good deal? I know the retail value shown on the screen is often a little optimistic. I have had occasion to take a few pieces I got thru ShopNBC to jewellers, all were valued significantly more than I paid for them - so good deals for me. If you took the ring to a jeweller and it was valued at less than you paid for it that would be very surprising. If you have the tape consider making a copy and sending it to the channel..if their hosts promised an appraisal they should certainly do something for you. Hope you can work this out. I had a hug problem with them over a computer. It took a little work but they came thru in the end, and made me a more loyal cutomer. Good luck! Andrea, NYC

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Don't trust Shop NBC or Howard Fox ( h.fox@shopnbc.com)

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I would highly suggest that you file a complaint
with the Attorney General or the consumer protection agianst ShopNBC.