Complaint Review: Shoppers Advantage

• Submitted: Wed, January 02, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, January 02, 2013

• Reported By: Kurt Hates Ripoffs — Withheld New Jersey United States of America
Shoppers Advantage
Stamford, Connecticut United States of America

Shoppers Advantage TLG Shoppers Advantage, Trilegiant Corp. and others. - Beware of how you get signed up! Stamford, Connecticut

I had made a purchase of an "As Seen On TV" product from www.waxvac.com.

A day or so after the purchase, I was phoned by a supposed customer service agent who was confirming the details of my order. They verified verbally for me the billing address, etc. Then I was told I would be connected to the agent's "Manager" to re-confirm.

I was immediately suspicious of this, because the supposed "manager" was asking me to read back my credit card information. So after claiming "it all looks right", the "manager" then informed me that I was being signed up for Shoppers Advantage.

I verbally refused and demanded they not use my credit card for such an enrollment (I said it to make sure it was on their "recorded conversation" that they claimed to have - you know, the 'we record for quality control' business).

The agent pressed on claiming I would receive something in the mail and they didn't want to charge me unless I got something in writing and then later stated the "something in writing" would come in three to four weeks! (So they have an excuse to charge you the first full month payment before you get a chance to cancel!)

I also never got my printed matter or the supposed offer or freebie to get me to start using them.

WaxVac's terms and conditions state they are allowed to provide your info to third parties. (Of course they cannot by law send over your credit card info). So these scammers have cooked up a really plausible way to dupe people into thinking it's a normal confirmation process and you end up getting scammed out of your credit card info for something you didn't want or agree to until after they punched the charge into their computer and processed a bill. And if you're not watching out, they get you for that monthly recurring.

I have contacted them to cancel the recurring and am waiting to hear back. I am calling my bank to file a Regulation E dispute and recover my introductory $1.00.

By the way, this supposed "manager" tried getting me to read back my credit card twice to sign me up for another service called Budget Savers out of MN. When that one landed on my bank statement, I bulldogged on them too. Had to threaten both companies with a complaint to my state Attorney General office.

So WATCH OUT in 2013!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/02/2013 08:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Shoppers-Advantage/Stamford-Connecticut-/Shoppers-Advantage-TLG-Shoppers-Advantage-Trilegiant-Corp-and-others-Beware-of-how-y-989849. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Shoppers Advantage