Complaint Review: Simple Escapes

• Submitted: Wed, March 21, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, December 02, 2007

• Reported By:Mulino Oregon
Simple Escapes
simpleescapes123.com Des Plaines, Illinois U.S.A.

Simple Escapes ripoff This 'company' used information given to classmates.com to fraudulently charge my credit card! Des Plaines Illinois

*Consumer Comment: CM contact (unitedonline)

While lookng over our credit card statement we noticed a $13.95 charge by a company called 'Simple Escapes' that we did not recognize. It stood out because there were only two other charges on the statement.

Called our credit card company and they in turn connected me with an agent from 'Simple Escapes' who identified himself as Peter, agent#25336. he asked my name and zip code so he could look up my 'file'.

He informed me I had been a member since January 2005 and had been mailed a membership card, etc.; I responded that I had NEVER enrolled so I couldn't be a member, nor had I received anything in the mail. Peter said I must have forgotten, which I denied.

His explanation was that I might have accidently clicked on the enrollment button while I was visiting Classmates.com, and probably thrown out the membership mailing thinking it was junk mail.

He had an answer for everything!

Told him to cancel the membership immediately and to issue a refund which he agreed to do saying that the one payment would be credited within two business days.

Checking back in our records I found that we had been charged $9.95, $11.95 and the most recent $13.95 per month without noticing since 2005. That's over $300.00 we were bilked out of.

Simple Escapes web site shows an Illinois PO Box number with an 877-836-6903 phone number; however, the contact number supplied to me by our credit card company is a Conneticut phone number: 800-552-8767 with which they connected me to 'Peter'.

Lesson learned:
ALWAYS CHECK EACH CHARGE ON YOUR CREDIT CARD STATEMENTS! ! !

Judylee
Mulino, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/21/2007 01:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Simple-Escapes/Des-Plaines-Illinois-60017-5152/Simple-Escapes-ripoff-This-company-used-information-given-to-classmatescom-to-fraudulen-240084. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Simple Escapes

CM contact (unitedonline)

AUTHOR: Stewart - (U.S.A.)

Classmates.com (subsidiary of United Online)

United Online contacts with email addresses are:

Elizabeth Gengl
Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications
PR Hotline Number - (818) 287-3034
pr@untd.com

Scott Matulis
Vice President, Corporate Communications
PR Hotline Number - (818) 287-3034
pr@untd.com

United Online also owns NetZero, Juno, and other businesses.