Complaint Review: Simple Escapes

• Reported By:brandon Florida
Simple Escapes
Omaha, Nebraska U.S.A.

Simple Escapes ripoff Omaha Nebraska

I recently received an email about receiving a free $25 gift card for KMart. Thought I would check it out, found I needed to join some company for a 30 day trial period at the cost of $1 so I thought what the heck.

After signing up they inform me that the gift card will be mailed but that I must still be a member otherwise no card. That was the first red flag, but since I had not been to their official website I could not cancel the subscription. According to them I would receive an email with my access code and password so I could take advantage of my membership.

Seven days later I had still not received an email and of course I forgot the name of the company that had the membership. Thankfully for me I checked my bank statement via the internet and found the dollar fee had been taken so I was able to find the company name. I went to their website only to find out I could not access the website because I did not have a member id#, they then directed me to their 800# to call.

Second red flag! I called the company and was greeted by Lashonda who I immediately told to cancel my membership. She of course read me the benefits to the membership, again I said cancel. She then informed me that all I had to do to gain access to the site was to call them and they would have given me my membership ID #.

I was infuriated, the thought that had I waited until my bank statement came in I would not have been able to cancel this membership and would have been charged $140. I told her that according to their own membership application I was to receive the ID# via email. I told her I was not interested in membership and to cancel, she continued you with the scripted speach and I hung up.

I immediately sent them an email telling them who I spoke with, what time and date and advised them that if any charges are incurred on my credit card that I would charge them with theft. I also told them I would report them to the BBB, which I did. Now I find out this company has a parent company Memberworks and it has been cited on several occasions for fraud. I only hope that at some point the government and the BBB will help to shut down companies like these, until then I guess the old adage still applies buyer beware.

Deb
brandon, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/12/2003 08:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Simple-Escapes/Omaha-Nebraska/Simple-Escapes-ripoff-Omaha-Nebraska-65613. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Simple Escapes