Complaint Review: Simple Filings

• Submitted: Fri, October 01, 2010
  • Updated: Fri, November 04, 2011

• Reported By: David — Cleveland Ohio U.S.A.
Simple Filings

Simple Filings, simplefiling.com, gov-tax.net rip-off for government filings, Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Unfair critic

*Consumer Comment: They got me too!

*UPDATE Employee: Unfair Critic

*Consumer Comment: A couple of clues.

I did a Google search on EIN (to file for an employer identification number) and the first site listed on organic search (left side) was www.gov-tax.net. I was under the impression this was a government site due to the name.

When you click on it it sends you to www.simplefiling.com and they charged me $236.00 to file for an EIN and S-Corp, both forms are FREE to file with the IRS and can be done online. The site does not make it clear it is a paid service, their disclaimer does not state it it a paid service, they make it look like the IRS.

Do Not use this service, just go to IRS.Gov and submit it online for free. They were willing to refund only a portion of my fees, I asked for it to be fully refunded since they are purposely misleading.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/01/2010 07:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Simple-Filings/internet/Simple-Filings-simplefilingcom-gov-taxnet-rip-off-for-government-filings-Internet-646450. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Simple Filings

Unfair critic

AUTHOR: Representative - (USA)

I'd like to respectfully re-state a few things about our service. We are an independent document preparation and filing service that strives to succeed by providing intuitive proprietary forms, clear help content, quick preparation times, and quality customer service. We assist customers every day in preparing and/or filing various government documents.  And we aren't affiliated with any government agency, so we work only for you, and only to improve your filing experience. People can handle any of these documents/filings on their own or they can enlist the help of a third party company that has done so many times before.

For Form SS-5 (Application for a Social Security Card), we offer a document preparation-only service,
and we are clear about that multiple times in multiple places before any order for the service is accepted. There is no fine print. The reason is that the form must be submitted with various "evidence" documents such as the applicant's driver's license, birth certificate, etc. And we believe people would rather stay in charge of their own evidence documents.

I hope this explains that issue. And again, everything is clearly disclosed in advance. Regardless, we apologize for any negative experience. We will take it to heart and strive to continue improving.

They got me too!

AUTHOR: strawberryswyrl - (United States of America)

I, too, had performed a Google search for a social security card application and gov-tax.net appeared at the very top of the page. Assuming that this "preparation service" would take care of everything for me (why else would i need them!?)  I paid them a little over $40 and received a copy of the soc. sec. card application and instructions on how to complete the filing process... MYSELF! I could have downloaded the application for FREE and could have found the address of the soc. sec. office address for FREE.
This company preys on people who are in a hurry to get important documents taken care of and who will ASSUME that this "service" will COMPLETE the process for them. The only thing this company did for me was electronically RE-fill-in the application with all of the information that I JUST FILLED-IN TO THEIR WEBSITE! And THAT'S ALL!
When I realized what happened I called them to complain and the woman who answered the phone immediately rattled-off to me the policy, which I had failed to comprehend, WITHOUT SKIPPING A BEAT! It was quite obvious that they get these calls all the time. I was told I would be refunded all but $10 of what I paid. So they ripped me off for $10! They are taking advantage of technicalities in the law to do this legally by including in their website all of the facts which they know alot of people won't read or understand until it's too late, which yes, we know, is TYPICAL.
So KUDOS to these sons of bitches for wasting my time and money. I hope they are happy to have my hard-earned $10 of my military pay.

Unfair Critic

AUTHOR: Representative - (USA)

Our site does not look like the IRSs and our document preparation and filing service is explained several times before any payment will be accepted.

At the bottom of the application page, customers must click a checkbox to indicate agreement with a brief statement summarizing the service. This statement is only three-sentences long.

The page after that is the checkout page, where available services are listed with both descriptions and prices. The description of the standard Tax ID service is one sentence long, beginning with Our representatives will obtain and e-mail your Tax ID. Above the payment section on this page, a total amount to be charged is displayed, which updates based on the services that are selected.

And the footer on every page of the site provides another summary of our service.

So we apologize for any negative experience. It is not in line with the experiences of our many satisfied customers over the years. But we will take it to heart and strive to continue improving.

A couple of clues.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

First, a government agency is not going to have a .net address.  They always use .gov.

"The site does not make it clear it is a paid service, their disclaimer does not state it it a paid service, they make it look like the IRS."

They state right on the home page : "This site is not affiliated with the US Department of the Treasury or the IRS" and their terms of service page pretty clearly states that they charge fees.  I would think that the requirement to give them your credit card info would remove all question that it is a paid service.  In other words, the site does make it clear, you just didn't bother to look.

I'm not saying that it's OK for a company to charge for what is essentially a free service from the IRS.  They obviously make their money from people who don't bother to do any research before handing over payment.  The Internet is full of sites like that.