Complaint Review: Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Updated: Mon, January 25, 2010

• Reported By: dadof4 — Cincinnati Ohio United States of America
Six Flags Magic Mountain
Valencia, California United States of America

Six Flags Magic Mountain, False Claims Of Improved Operations And Service Valencia, California

Fans of roller coasters and parents should appreciate this report and I do hope it helps prevent some from wasting their money on a trip to this horrible park. I promised myself that I would never patronize the park again after my last visit nearly 8 years ago but fell for the recent claims that Six Flags had come to realize how poorly their company was managed and promised an improved product and renewed commitment to service. To my unpleasant surprise, the product remains the same - only hidden by forced smiles and poor attempts to improve employee interaction with gusts.

My recent Saturday visit began with a small posted notice at the gate that three of the large coasters would not be operating that day. X2, Nija, and DejaVu. Disappointing but tolerable considering it was mid-January and the crowds were very slow. An understandable time to perform annual maintenance.

We arrived nearly 45 minutes after the park opened and we moved directly to the the newest coaster (Tatsu) to find an attendant at the entrance informing guests that the ride was closed but might open later. Frustrating but not catastrophic. We moved on to the the Superman coaster just to be told it would be shut down all day. Now we're angry. 4 major coasters are down and we wasted admission for seven people and a 1 hour drive.

Moving on to the the back of the park we discover the Batman, Riddler, and Scream coasters are also closed. Now, we're up to eight of the parks' coasters closed on a Saturday afternoon. It's time to visit guest services and request a refund so we can just leave the park and find a worthy way of spending our time in the LA area. We are from Cincinnati and had only 5 days to spend on our trip.

As we walked to the front of the park we were passed by countless employees finally reporting to the closed down games, food booths and shops throughout the park. This is over an hour after the park opened.

After talking to staff at three different levels of management, we were refused a refund, lied to about the posted ride closures and even promised that all of the coasters, except the three posted at the gate, were now running. This last claim was from a man claiming to be an assistant park manager. You'd expect him to know which rides were operating.

As compensation for our time and frustration we were offered "exit passes" which would allow us to skip the 2 minute lines at the most popular rides. How generous.

To make the remaining story as brief as possible... Tatsu opened shortly thereafter, Riddler opened a few hours later, Batman open later in the day, Scream never opened and Superman never opened. 5 coasters down for the day and three others operating only a portion of the scheduled hours. This count doesn't even include the numerous other non-coaster attractions which were also not operating.

In addition to the ride closures I was shocked by the general appearance of several rides, poor safety practices and filthy restrooms. As an owner of amusement rides and employee of a major ride manufacturer I am very familiar with the type of equipment at Magic Mountain and I now know not to take my family to any Six Flags owned facility. My family left the park very early without refund or any form of compensation for our wasted day. Considering the current financial status of Six Flags, they likely felt they needed the money more than my family.

What a wonderful Sunday at (((competitor's name redacted))). Thanks to the friendly staff and spotless park we almost forgot about our awful visit to Magic Mountain. It's obvious that (((redacted)))'s management can think past the immediate gain of stealing from families. I know for a fact that (((redacted))) and (((redacted))) both compensate disappointed guests when warranted.

I highly recommend that all parents avoid the temptation of cheap admission and never visit a Six Flags facility. Their poor management and questionable priorities carry throughout the chain of parks. Same old Six Flags from my perspective.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/25/2010 11:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Six-Flags-Magic-Mountain/Valencia-California-/Six-Flags-Magic-Mountain-False-Claims-Of-Improved-Operations-And-Service-Valencia-Califo-560100. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Six Flags Magic Mountain