Complaint Review: Sleepy Sheep Ranch

• Updated: Mon, September 16, 2013

• Reported By: Anonymous — Texas
Sleepy Sheep Ranch
9324 FM 898 Whitewright, Texas USA

Sleepy Sheep Ranch SSR Country Beware! Unsafe Trail Ride and Owner Does Not Do What he Says He'll Do Whitewright Texas

I went on a trail ride in May 2013 at Sleepy Sheep Ranch and wish I had never gone....sadly, I will never be the same again.

My story:

I'll tell you the moral of my story first: DO NOT TRUST DAVID MITCHELL AT SLEEPY SHEEP RANCH. HE DOES NOT HONOR HIS WORD.

I bought a Groupon and my family and I went for what we thought was going to be a fun family outing, But it turned into a nightmare. They ran out of regular trail ride horses, saddles, etc. so I was put on an English saddle on a horse that I later discovered had no bit in its mouth. When I balked at getting on the horse (look up the difference between an English saddle and a Western saddle and you'll see why), David Mitchell (the owner) assured me it would be ok, that this horse was his personal riding horse and I'd be fine. Ignorantly, I trusted him, thinking surely he wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. Unfortunately that was not the case. [continued below]....

..... My horse acted up the entire ride and I was at its mercy. Towards the end, it broke into a run, I couldn't stop it (no bit, remember.....), one stirrup broke off and I was thrown off the side to the ground, knocked unconscious, suffered a concussion, torn adductor (thigh) muscle and am still suffering dizziness. I was taken to the hospital after I regained consciousness.  I have had x-rays, a CT scan, an ultrasound, weeks of physical therapy, missed work, have a permanent leg injury, hamstring pain and lingering dizziness. I will never the the same. My 12 year old daughter saw my riderless horse go flying by her and knew something had happened to me.

When I regained consciousness, another Grouponer on the ride with us drove and picked me up.  david was gone when I got back to the office.  I was immediately driven to the hospital by my boyfriend.  David called and left a messsage that he would help us out with the medical bills. That was months ago and I have still not received any help from him.  We contacted him a few days later and he again offered to help with my medical bills. (Yes, I signed a waiver, but waivers don't cover negligence.) Since then, I have contacted him by phone (when his voicemail isn't full), e-mail, regular mail and certified mail. He has responded once since then saying he will help, but then never does what he says. He even e-mailed me over a month ago that he was sending me a check for a refund for the trail ride.  The check has never arrived. (Why tell people you're sending them something if you're not going to do it). He won't provide his insurance information to me.  I have had to hire an attorney now and David still refuses to provide his insurance information. I could be wrong, but I am guessing it's because he has no insurance. Red flag.

I didn't ask for anything but a refund for the trail rides and reimbursement of my medical bills. I am being reasonable.

It is wrong to treat people this way. Beware of David Mitchell and Sleepy Sheep Ranch.  He keeps changing his company's name. Wonder why?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/16/2013 07:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sleepy-Sheep-Ranch/Whitewright-Texas/Sleepy-Sheep-Ranch-SSR-Country-Beware-Unsafe-Trail-Ride-and-Owner-Does-Not-Do-What-he-Sa-1085064. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sleepy Sheep Ranch