Complaint Review: Smart Savings Center

• Submitted: Fri, January 16, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, January 16, 2009

• Reported By:Portland Oregon
Smart Savings Center
www.smartsavingscenter.com Boca Ratan, Florida U.S.A.

Smart Savings Center DVD order included unauthorized charges to Visa from Smartsavings.com which doubled 1/09! Boca Ratan Florida

Ordered a DVD off Amazon.com & got a good deal from Hotmovies.com--I did not know anything about signing up for smartsavings.com. I also did not realize that a Membership fee of $14.95 was being charged to my Visa for something I did not know about, did not authorize and was not using. I thought this charge was something my husband ordered, so being very busy, did not pay attention to this for months.

Last night I got a call from my Visa asking about a "suspicious $29.95 charge made to smartsavings.com at 3:00am EST"--naturally I knew nothing about this. Suspecting Fraud, I had my Visa account canceled. Visa told me the company and location. I Googled it and got contact information and reports of the same charges others had experienced. Called Smart Savings: I told a kind saleslady that I did not know about smartsavings.com and was certainly not a member and did NOT authorize $29.95 or any other amount to my Visa.

They looked up my e-mail and said that I did buy a DVD from Hotmovies.com and the membership was included with that along with monthly charges for "benefits/savings." Smart Savings said they sent an e-mail stating that benefit charges would double JAN 09. I had gotten an e-mail offering two free DVD's each month, but had never taken advantage of this and deleted everything & had never seen anything about monthly charges.

As it had been less than 24 hours since the $29.95 charge, smartsavings canceled that charge and my membership and did send an e-mail of confirmation. I was so disgusted that my visa had been charged $14.95 for months and now, without my knowledge or consent, was being charged $29.95--which Visa will not pay. This is my first time being "Ripped Off"--I can't believe a person with my education did not catch this sooner--thank you Visa! The price of an education...

Portland, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/16/2009 11:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Smart-Savings-Center/Boca-Ratan-Florida/Smart-Savings-Center-DVD-order-included-unauthorized-charges-to-Visa-from-Smartsavingscom-413136. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Smart Savings Center