Louisiana

• Submitted: Wed, January 07, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, January 07, 2009

• Reported By:Redondo Beach California
Smart Savings Center
smartsavingscenter.com Boca Raton, Florida U.S.A.

Smart Savings Center Fraudulent Charges on cancelled order - Boca Raton Florida

I ordered a book online from Hotbooksale.com. My book order was cancelled because it was out of stock. (I notice online that this is their M.O. for all other customers who have the same complaint as mine - orders are cancelled). Months later I noticed a charge of 29.95 from a SmartSavingsCenter.com. I called and they told me this was due to an attached membership to their service from my book order.

I told them the book order was cancelled but they said the membership is different and I had 7 days to cancel. I told them i didn't get any e-mails regarding this membership or a warning before the 7 days of a renewal. Aren't companies supposed to warn you of a renewal and have to get your approval?? Most magazine subscriptions do this.

I was offered a 2 month refund out of the 3 they charged but I told them I want a full refund and would not accept anything less. I was told they would file a report and would be contacted in 2 days re: my request. In the meantime I called my credit card company and filed a dispute on fraudulent charges. I will update this report in 2 days after I hear from them.

- Does anyone know of a law that requires online or companies to get an approval from subscribers before they renew? I thought I read something about that one time. That clients are supposed to give approval for any renewal specially on 7 or 30 day trials like this.

Arnold
Redondo Beach, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/07/2009 02:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Smart-Savings-Center/Boca-Raton-Florida-33481-0365/Smart-Savings-Center-Fraudulent-Charges-on-cancelled-order-Boca-Raton-Florida-409206. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Smart Savings Center