Complaint Review: Smart Start Ignition Interlock

• Updated: Thu, February 17, 2011

• Reported By: Unhappy — Surprise Arizona United States of America
Smart Start Ignition Interlock
4850 Plaza Dr Irving, Texas United States of America

Smart Start Ignition Interlock Faulty Equipment and Nobody to help Irving, Texas

*Consumer Suggestion: Divorce the drunk, move out, get your own vehicle!

*Consumer Comment: Bring a bottle of water with you.

*Consumer Comment: Simple answer?

*Author of original report: smart start

*Consumer Comment: Not quite.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Ah, Another Drunk

*Consumer Comment: Hey Larry.

*Consumer Suggestion: Stop Drinking and Driving

We had Smart Start installed 2/10/2011 and then on 2/12/2011 I am getting off work and go to start my car and it won't start because as soon as I start to blow it starts beeping saying ABORT this went on for an hour finally I am able to get hold of a shop and they say well you need to bring in the unit. I say I can't my car will not start. I am instructed to take off the mouth piece and bank the unit against the steering wheel 5 or 6 times I do this a couple different times with no luck. she tells me that everybody at there stero shop is busy so she would call me back SOMETIME Today. I am furious at this point so I ask if I can have AAA jump start my car she says no thats considering tampering. My concern is that at any given time I can end up stranded and with out anybody willing to do anything. i am wanting to know is there something that we can do to change the way this works?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/13/2011 07:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Smart-Start-Ignition-Interlock/Irving-Texas-75063/Smart-Start-Ignition-Interlock-Faulty-Equipment-and-Nobody-to-help-Irving-Texas-694843. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Smart Start Ignition Interlock

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Divorce the drunk, move out, get your own vehicle!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

The best advice I can give is to divorce the drunk, move out and get your own place, and your own car without the device.

Why would you stay with a drunk?

Just common sense here.

Bring a bottle of water with you.

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

If you just ate something or drank something even if non-alcoholic, it may register a false reading.  Try gargling with water just before you blow into it.
Also, each of these false readings are recorded and downloaded into a report to the court.  Document all false readings.

No one else can tamper or attempt to remove this device except the company that installed it.

Simple answer?

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

You ask at the end of the report..." i am wanting to know is there something that we can do to change the way this works? "

Probably not. But you have at least two options.

One, is have the device removed.

The second if the device is installed via court order, is to have the vehicle towed (or leave it parked if legally until it can be towed) and catch a cab or a ride home from someone if the device fails or if you blow too high of an alcohol level and it won't allow start.

And no, AAA can not jump it. It is not a dead battery or out of gas but an electronic device installed that will not allow the vehicle to start. AAA is not qualified, nor legally allowed to tamper with the device, nor would they know how or most likely not even have the equipment needed in the tow truck to bypass it if even they did know how, which they don't or they would be a technician and not a tow truck driver..

smart start

AUTHOR: Unhappy - (United States of America)

Well just to clarify I am not the person ordered to install this device it is my husband however whoever is driving must blow to start car. I also agree if your drinking dont drive that is not my compliant here. I am complaining that I am paying for a service that did not work and that has bad customer service. I think it should be corrected. I should not have to wonder each time I go to start my car is it going to work.

Not quite.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

I'm not supporting drunks or drunk driving.   Merely pointing out that Larry's ridiculous post does nothing for his credibility.    Fabricating facts to get your point across doesn't fly well around here.

#6 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Ah, Another Drunk

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

Stop supporting drunks, flynrider.

The system worked as it should, and protected people from a drunk.

To the drunk who posted this thread originally: Please, get help. Right now you are hurting yourself and others.

Hey Larry.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

This meant that your blood alchol level was at least 0.08%.  That, in turn, means you are a chronic drunk as a normal person gets sick or passes out far below that level."

Where did you obtain your medical expertise?  Grade school?  Normal people do not get sick or pass out at .08.  If that was even remotely true, the average bar would have people piled on the floors throwing up on each other.

In the real world it's possible for the average person to hit .08 by drinking two drinks within an hour.

Get off your high horse and get an education.

#8 Consumer Suggestion

Stop Drinking and Driving

AUTHOR: Larry - (U.S.A.)

The Smart Start was installed on your car by order of a court after you were convicted of driving while intoxicated.  This meant that your blood alchol level was at least 0.08%.  That, in turn, means you are a chronic drunk as a normal person gets sick or passes out far below that level.

The Smart Start requires that you blow into the unit's mouthpiece.  If it detects alcohol, your car won't start.  Your car would not start because it detected that you had been drinking.  You could have had your car towed to the shop that installed it but you did not do that because you knew the Smart Start did just what it was supposed to do: It stopped you from driving drunk.

You say that your concern is that you could be stranded.  My concern is that you are not in jail as you continue to attempt to drive while drunk.

You can change the way it works.  Get sober.