Complaint Review: Smart Travel & Incentives

• Updated: Sun, August 26, 2012

• Reported By: sherry — Cottonwood California United States of America
Smart Travel & Incentives
801 International Parkway 5th Floor Lake Mary, Florida United States of America

Smart Travel & Incentives was a scam. sent my money in for vacation and got checks back as said didn't send it ceritified mail. did not say to send it certified anywhere. Lake Mary, Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: Best read all fine print and other customer comments

*Consumer Comment: Different Document

*General Comment: My eyes ARE open, Robert!

*Consumer Comment: Really?

*UPDATE Employee: Certified mail

*Consumer Suggestion: Smart Travel & Incentives, Inc.

*Consumer Comment: My Observation

my husband and I sat through a vacation seminar for 2 1/2 hours and they stated that we were guarteed a cruise even if we did not buy into the travel.  I followed the directions and sent in the cashiers checks (2) and sent them.  I did get the checks back to our surprise. They stated we did not send them certified mail to be approved for the cruise we to have won.  No place did it state that they had to be sent seperate nor that they had to be sent ceritfied. I kept copies and read over them.  I guess I am lucky that I at least got my part of my money back. So we did not win a cruise as they stated it was just a scam to get us to set through a seminar.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/22/2012 12:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Smart-Travel-Incentives/Lake-Mary-Florida-32746/Smart-Travel-Incentives-was-a-scam-sent-my-money-in-for-vacation-and-got-checks-back-a-886361. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Smart Travel & Incentives

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Best read all fine print and other customer comments

AUTHOR: Pete - (United States of America)

I have just received an Activation Form as described by other consumers. I appreciate the comments above, and will be very careful to follow all instructions to the letter. I have some experience with consumer refunds that have very specific and, to put it diplomatically, unusual requirements, obviously to allow the vendor some latitude in their response.

Caveat emptor. I hope I do not fall into a trap myself.

Different Document

AUTHOR: MrLavala - (United States of America)

Some folks must get different documents. Ours clearly stated certified mail in at least two places. Apologies.

#3 General Comment

My eyes ARE open, Robert!

AUTHOR: butterfly - (United States of America)

As stated my eyes are open!  Term A states in its entirity,

"A.  When validating this voucher, you must complete the attached validation form and return it to us with a refundable deposit (cashier check or money order only) in the amount of $50.00 made payable to Smart Travel & Incentives. This travel expires 18 months from issue date. Once your activation form has been validated, your vacation planning form will be mailed to you by the reservation center. You will then submit your departure choices and dates on your request form and mail that to Smart Travel at least 45 days in advance of your travel date."

This says nothing about sending US certified mail. So, I'm not going to 'go to the trouble and risk it.' Good Luck Robert. No need for more discussion. Case is closed as for me.

Really?

AUTHOR: MrLavala - (United States of America)

It seems that lots of folks are either stupid or blind because it was easy to see on the documentation that you have to send your cashier's check by certified mail. Open you eyes.

We followed the clearly spelled out instructions and recieved our vacation planners in a timely manner. The company did not send all of the documents the first time, only the hotel vouchers, so I emailed them and within 24 hours someone responded and said they would send the other vouchers (for the air travel). They did in about 3 days.

Again... open your eyes and follow directions.

Robert

Certified mail

AUTHOR: Smart Travel - (United States of America)

Dear Sherry,

I am sorry that we were unable to process your travel vouchers. We do instruct you to mail them via certified mail in the very first sentence of term A, the same sentence that instructs you to send in the cashier check or money order and the amount that is due. I have to believe you did read that as you sent in the money correctly. I am sorry that you missed the part about certified mail. We try and make our terms and conditions as clear as possible for our customers. I am unsure as to why you stated that you received a part of your money back . We returned both cashier checks to you as well as your original activation forms.

My company is not a scam, we travel customers on a daily basis. We abide by our terms and conditions just as we ask you to. Again I am sorry that it did not work for you.

I also want to add to the additional comments about the certified mail changing. We have over fifty different travel vouchers, some do require certified mail and some do not. Should it be a requirement of your voucher, it will always be listed in term A.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

Smart Travel & Incentives, Inc.

AUTHOR: butterfly - (United States of America)

The incentive brochure I received on August 6, 2012, DOES NOT say to send a check via US mail certified.  The company must have changed their wording. Thanks for the heads up.

My Observation

AUTHOR: MrLavala - (United States of America)

Unless this company has changed it's voucher... on the back in bold type it says you must "...return it to us via US certified mail within 14 days of the issue date..." and then a few words later says by "...cashier check or money order only".
I am not completely certain that this company is on the "up and up" yet but after reading the mile-long list of surcharges and fees associated with the travel, I hope to save at least $2.
We are going to give it a try and hope for the best.