Complaint Review: Smartech CSI

• Updated: Fri, July 26, 2013

• Reported By: Jessica O — Maine
Smartech CSI
Austin, Texas USA

Smartech CSI expected me to travel over 200 miles one way for $35 (no mileage) Austin Texas

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Smartech is the worst company....

*Author of original report: Complete 180! I'm very impressed.

I understand being an independent 1099-based contractor, but it still has to be worth my time.  These guys wanted me to take a call over 200 miles away for $35 and no mileage.  Now to be fair, I did talk them up to $40 plus 35 cents/mile, which would be worth my time...but then my recruiter contacted me to "explain how things normally work" for contractors, and to "make sure I understood that this was a one time only circumstance because they really needed this job done," and that their actual employees don't even usually make that much.  She said that what I needed to do was define a radius within which I'd be willing to work, even though I had already stated in my contract that I would work within a 50 mile radius and even listed the zip codes I would work in.  I told them I appreciated the concession and their time working with me, but that I would not be taking this call nor will I be taking any further calls with them.  Call me crazy but I don't think I should be spending my own money for the privilege of working for someone, and from reading on this website as well as other scam reporting sites, I see I'm not the only one who has had this type of experience.  It's really a shame as they seem to be very nice people and I enjoy doing this type of work.  Oh well.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/26/2013 09:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Smartech-CSI/Austin-Texas/Smartech-CSI-expected-me-to-travel-over-200-miles-one-way-for-35-no-mileage-Austin-Tex-1070318. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Smartech CSI

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Smartech is the worst company....

AUTHOR: Ripped off by Smartech - ()

I had worked as a contractor for many years.  Smartech is by far the worst of the worst.   I ended up getting about $3.00 an hour ( after gas and expenses) for the 120 hours I worked for them one month. they are above any blame for their mistakes in filing to Dell for money they get.  If they file to Dell incorrectly, then they do not pay you, as happened to me. Better to get your food from a food shelf.  That has more dignity than to put Smartech on your resume. I agree with the original report 100%.   The work is good but the pay is nothing; you are working for free.

Complete 180! I'm very impressed.

AUTHOR: Jessica O - ()

Well, talk about a change.

Not long after I posted this report and declined further work from Smartech, I received an email from the hiring manager offering me a position as a full time employee rather than as a contractor.  Hourly pay, W2, plus mileage and benefits after 90 days.  Not only that, but the CEO found that I had posted a report on this site and called me to discuss it--he said he wanted to make sure I would be happy as an employee.

I'm impressed and humbled.  I had done some research both on this site and others, and was rather upset at the several contractors who said they had been wronged by Smartech; feeling that I was getting the same treatment, I posted this report.  I never in a million years expected this kind of negotiation and attention.

For contractors who are unhappy with the way things are handled, I urge you to call and try to work something out.  I can honestly say I haven't been treated this way before by a company for whom I was only doing contract work (usually we're considered a dime a dozen).

Now I'm looking forward to getting started!  :)