Complaint Review: SmarterPrivacy

• Updated: Wed, February 05, 2014

• Reported By: Rippedoff — Hollywood California
SmarterPrivacy
Nationwide USA

SmarterPrivacy Spokeo Ripped off by SmarterPrivacy and Spokeo, Internet Fraud, they should be prosecuted Internet Nationwide

*UPDATE Employee: Spokeo Support

Spokeo and SmarterPrivacy are engaging in Internet Fraud. I signed up for 6 months with Spokeo trying to help my 80 year old mother find some people. I was only able to find one of the people she was looking for and I found their data base and service was mostly useless. Then I noticed my credit card was being charged 14.95 a month for "retail store in Glendale"

I called the 1-800 number and learned the charge was an "affiliate" of Spokeo called SmarterPrivacy. I informed them I did not authorize the 2 charges and they said they would refund the charges. They did refund 1 of 2 charges and I called 2 more times and they kept insisting that they authorized 2 refunds. They refused to call my prepaid debit card company and would not answer any more of my questions 1) if they were in fact owned by Spokeo  2) and/or did Spokeo give them my debit card info. I'm going to take it up with my debit card company.  SmarterPricacy and/or Spokeo are commiting internet fraud and should be prosecuted.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/05/2014 11:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SmarterPrivacy/nationwide/SmarterPrivacy-Spokeo-Ripped-off-by-SmarterPrivacy-and-Spokeo-Internet-Fraud-they-shoul-1121118. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SmarterPrivacy

Spokeo Support

AUTHOR: Spokeo - ()

Dear Spokeo User,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry for the confusion and would be happy to clarify. Spokeo has affiliates that advertise on our page. They offer a free 30-day trial of their service to our customers. There is a two step process in place to help prevent accidental sign ups, so Im not sure how that could have been missed. I am glad that you were able to resolve the issue, and if you have any further questions, Please contact our support team at support@spokeo.com with mention of this complaint, and our representatives will be happy to resolve any issues you may have.

Sincerely,