Complaint Review: Smartphonetradein.com

• Updated: Tue, October 16, 2012

• Reported By: nitram — Portland Oregon United States of America
Smartphonetradein.com
2201 SW 145th Avenue #209 Miramar, Florida United States of America

Smartphonetradein.com GRC Wireless Scam - Quotes High Value on Phones, Actually Pays a Fraction Miramar Florida

*Author of original report: They have subsequently made it right

Not a trustworthy company to do business with.

I sent them a like new iPhone 3GS, which they quoted me would have a trade-in value of approximately $60. I got a check back for $4 instead.

The reason? They claim the phone I sent was a 3G, not a 3GS. I've had every model of the iPhone since it came out, and in fact purchased this 3GS from AT&T from Apple in late 2010 (long after the 3G was discontinued), so I'm absolutely certain I sent them 3GS I even called AT&T after receiving their $4 check to reconfirm it was a 3GS and they did, even referencing the model

They also claimed the case was cracked, and sent me photos of a damaged iPhone 3G that was clearly not my phone. They refused to return the phone and of course refused to respond to any follow-up emails after my initial contact.

Their manager/representative, Ingrid Molina, appears to know very little about the business. She only offered trite excuses and referrals to the "user agreement", which apparently alleges the customer has no right to file a dispute when they claim the phone that was sent in is an entirely different model than the one provided.

Don't make the mistake I did. They will quote you a higher value than other sites, but there's a good reason for that...they never intend to pay it!

Interestingly, the very first thing Ms. Molina said when I contacted them about their mistake was that "we are a legitimate business" - an odd thing to say when no one had accused them otherwise. At that point I had assumed it was simply a mistake.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/08/2012 06:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Smartphonetradeincom/Miramar-Florida-33027/Smartphonetradeincom-GRC-Wireless-Scam-Quotes-High-Value-on-Phones-Actually-Pays-a-Fra-952228. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Smartphonetradein.com

They have subsequently made it right

AUTHOR: nitram - (United States of America)

After writing this report, I was contacted by the owner of Smartphonetradein.com, who apologized for the mixup and sent me a check for the full value of my phone originally quoted.