Complaint Review: Smith Brothers Appliance Repair

• Updated: Fri, May 06, 2011

• Reported By: Vince — irvine California usa
Smith Brothers Appliance Repair
3419 Chapman Avenue orange, California United States of America

Smith Brothers Appliance Repair Ripped Off- $400 repair for $12 part - Dishonest, Beware of this company orange, California

*Author of original report: Made Good on Refund: new Management

Maytag fridge went out after 5 years. 'OC Appliance Repair" was the first I saw on the google, so I called them and made an appointment the next day for $65 to inspect, which is included in the repair if I used them.  The Smith Brothers guy comes on time, and says "you hear that click?" I said not really but ok, and he said I needed a new Hard Start kit. The kit cost $249, plus $149 to install it and tax. Well, it is just barely below the price threshold of replacing the refrigerator so I said ok. He walks in with a part, unscrews the cover off the back, busts something out of there, installs the part in 2 minutes and says "it's done".  All total, maybe 10 minutes.

I'm stunned and feeling like I got taken, but paid the bill and he left.   I pulled the refrigerator out, took the cover off and looked at the part. I took a photo of it to get the brand (a supco rco410 3-in-one capacitor) and looked up on Amazon. [continued below]....
..... The part is $11.95. So, what should have been $65 + maybe $50 for parts ($115 is fair for the time overall) I paid $410.

I have contacted the company (which looks to me is really just an answering service) so we will see if I get any response.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/06/2011 07:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Smith-Brothers-Appliance-Repair/orange-California-92869/Smith-Brothers-Appliance-Repair-Ripped-Off-400-repair-for-12-part-Dishonest-Beware-726352. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Smith Brothers Appliance Repair

Made Good on Refund: new Management

AUTHOR: Vince - ()

Guys, I am updating this review because the management has changed at Smith Brothers.   They have really cleaned up their act and have set new standards for the technicians and how they charge their customers.   I was shocked to have April at Smith Brothers contact me to discuss what happened, and she paid via PayPal the $300 in overcharges, nearly two years after it happened!

This is in my opinion a truly earnest effort to truly win their customers back, and set a new standard for professional repair.    I think this is GREAT; admitting there was a problem, taking steps to correct it, and righting the wrongs whenever possible.  I think that deserves positive recognition.