Complaint Review: Smith, Dean & Associates; AKA Dean & Associates

• Submitted: Mon, November 17, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, July 11, 2012

• Reported By:Satellite Beach Florida
Smith, Dean & Associates; AKA Dean & Associates
101 Century 21 Drive Jacksonville, Florida U.S.A.

Smith, Dean & Associates; AKA Dean & Associates VINCENT DEAN AT SMITH, DEAN AND ASSOCIATES IS A LIAR AND WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO GET WHAT HE WANTS Jacksonville Florida

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Dean Smith & Assoc is now Simmons Smith & Assoc

After filing complaints with both the Florida State Attorney's Office and the Bureau of Financial Responsibility (which has jurisdiction over collection agencies) against United Processing, less than a month later I received a message on my answering machine from THESE cretins telling me I was being prosecuted for felony fraud, a 2nd-degree felony, and I would be in jail before nightfall if I did not send $300.50 via WalMart within 2 hours. He also stated that he had done a background check on me, and found a lot of shady things.

My husband picked up the phone during the tail end of this message. Bearing in mind my husband is actually a 3rd party, which made this whole episode illegal, a man who said he was Vincent Davis claimed he plays golf with the judge, they were going to make an example out of me, and E-Z Payday had secured Federal funds to prosecute me.

I called the State Attorney's Office and was told the following: when E-Z Payday accepted my check, agreeing to hold it, my check then became a Promissory Note. It is not a felony, I cannot be prosecuted for it, and if they want to pursue the matter in Civil Court, they certainly may.

I then did a reverse phone lookup and found Smith, Dean and Associates has the same address as United Processing. Somehow this did not surprise me.

I called Mr. Davis and advised him exactly which office I spoke to and which attorney; he said, "Great." When I read the statute to him, he said, "Oh, you're a deadbeat, you don't want to pay your bills." When I stated this was not the case, he said it again and hung up.

DON'T FALL FOR IT!!! Call your local State Attorney's Office if you get a phone call like this!!! These sharks must be stopped!

Lynda
Satellite Beach, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/17/2008 03:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Smith-Dean-Associates-AKA-Dean-Associates/Jacksonville-Florida-32216/Smith-Dean-Associates-AKA-Dean-Associates-VINCENT-DEAN-AT-SMITH-DEAN-AND-ASSOCIATES-392106. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Smith, Dean & Associates; AKA Dean & Associates

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Dean Smith & Assoc is now Simmons Smith & Assoc

AUTHOR: Steve - (United States of America)

A "new" collections agency by the name of Simmons Smith & Assoc just opened near my home and posted help wanted ads on Craigslist. I went and interviewed last Friday, at that point they told me to come in Monday for training. I show up and during training I realize that something shady is going on with this company, but I stick it out to see what happens. During training they tell us that we are to refer to the accounts as "cases" so that the debtor assumes we are a law firm. Also, we were taught to say things like "further legal action", "this case just came into my office", and many other unethical tricks.

The entire time we were "training" we weren't allowed to talk to the "veterans" (which have been working there for 3 weeks, exactly how old this "new" company was), and my guess was they didn't want us finding out how things really went there. Today we took our "test" to become collections agents and after our test we were supposed to start working these "cases". I pass the test and our group goes to the "calling center" which is a tiny room with makeshift tables haphazardly strewn around the office. This whole time I am wondering when we were going to fill out our W-4 form so that we can be paid.

Now that it is time to work the phones I want to make sure that my W-4 is in order. So I talk to the head manager Ken about it. I pulled him aside and said to him "I am not trying to be a troublemaker or anything, I am just not comfortable working without filling out a tax form." His response is, "We will do it on our time." To which I replied, "This is nothing personal, but I am working here on MY time and MY time needs to be compensated. Without a W-4 I have no way of knowing I will be paid." He had the nerve to say, " We don't do W-4's until Friday, that is the rules. Either follow the rules or leave."

My response, "You don't make the rules as to when W-4's are filled out. The government makes those rules, and I hope you have a great day." I left, just got home and did some research on the company. Apparently this company moved and changed its name to Simmons Smith and Associates from Dean Smith and Associates. I am guessing because of unethical business practices. Please do not talk to this company if they call you, they don't have the authority to sue you or bring any legal action to you. Just hang up the phone, you will save yourself alot of trouble. And please spread the word about how they changed their name. Thank you.