Complaint Review: Social Security Administration

• Submitted: Sat, April 26, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, September 22, 2010

• Reported By:Sterling Michigan
Social Security Administration
SSI.org Sterling, Michigan U.S.A.

Social Security Administration Sterling Michigan

*Consumer Comment: HOW LONG WERE YOU MARRIED TO HER?

Dear folks: I am a male in my mid 70's with poor health, unable to travel great distances, I have already hired 4 Nebraska attorneys to check this problem out for me, to no avail.
The problem is this: I was informed last August by the Douglas Co. Court that I was done paying child support. In October, the Social Security Administration starting taking $200 per month from my social security without my knowledge, no court hearing, nothing!!!. Why??

In 2002, I was told I owed $3,945, now (last fall) I am informed I now owe $12,122.23!! Why? How did this come to be this much? I have gone to the child support office in the past and have showed where they made clerical errors and they did correct them. This was some time ago. So, what happened that I now have all of this on my account? My children are in their 40's!! What is this all about?

There are other issues involved where there have been infractions and I have the proof. Things in my divorce decree have been ignored. I'm told that they do not pertain to me. Why not? All I want is an accurate accounting of this account!! I cannot seem to get one!!

Am I the only one in Douglas County who is having such difficulties with the child support agency here?

Glenn
Sterling, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/26/2008 10:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Social-Security-Administration/Sterling-Michigan-48659/Social-Security-Administration-Sterling-Michigan-329048. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Social Security Administration

HOW LONG WERE YOU MARRIED TO HER?

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

Do you live in an alimony state that makes the husband pay alimony until the spouse remarries?   Does the alimony automatically resume when the wife gets divorced and has no husband?

I think it is more along the lines of this.

IF you were married to this woman for more than ten years and SHE retires and puts in for Social Security payments --she is entitled to her own account OR half of yours whichever amount is greater.

Check it out with a Family Court Attorney.

Or you could call your federal congressman's office and ask them.

I think I am right.

Whether you divorced or whatever, if you were married to her for ten years or more, she is entitled to half of your Social Security money.
 It is FEDERAL LAW and something that the average attorney who deals only with State and NOT federal law might not know.
I am glad to see that is one thing that Social Security is honoring although you have my sympathy

shipping