Complaint Review: South America Van Lines (Magesty)

• Submitted: Tue, April 25, 2000
  • Updated: Tue, April 25, 2000

• Reported By:Cumming Ga
South America Van Lines (Magesty)
2714 N.W. 30th Avenue Lauderdale Lakes, Florida U.S.A.

South America Van Lines (Magesty) Moving and Storage Fradulent Forigners!

On January 6, 2000 myself and my Mother, Sandra Ellington had called Magesty(South America Van Lines) to give us an estimate to move to Georgia. We had explained to the estimator, Eric, that this move is 2 households. One is a 3 bedroom, and the other 1 bedroom. He exsimated the move to be $2000.00. We had asked several questions regarding the move and one of them was "Do you put things in storage and wait till you have several moves in our area?" He assured us they did not.

We were very concerned about all the news about movers that held peoples belongings hostage and did not deliver. He again assured us they were "an honest moving company" This man drove a $125,000 BMW and wore a $1000 suit to our house. Should of been the red flag!

We asked for a binding estimate and was told moving companys didnt do that anymore and a bill of lading was all we needed. We said we wanted an early morning move on Feb. 7th, 2000 and he said this would be no problem. We also told them we were packing ourselves. Then on the morning of Feb. 7th the movers came to my Mothers house and started packing.

They had had here sign papers of insurance and giving them permission to move the household. They then came to my home and started loading. When it was just about all on the truck one of the men, Leo, stated there was lots more than the extimator had said. I told him there was exactly the same things here and less as I had gotten rid of things to lighten the load.

I called the office and spoke to the owner, Yannie, he said "Dont worry, we will move at the $2000.00 we agreed to" So, we got ourselves in the car and drove to Georgia.
We arrived on Feb. 8th and the movers were to be at our new places on Feb. 9th. I called the office and spoke to the owner, Yannie, again. He began with they would be here the next day. I pressed him as I was worried about them hijacking. He said,"I am not your husband or your boyfriend and do not have to take this attitude!" and hung up on me.

I called back and he would not talk to me. I was very upset needless to say. I called the next day and got the office mgr. Isaac. He said they will deliver but we had to agree to the balance. I said we have the $2000.00 and he said, "No, it is now $4286.00" I about died.

To make a long story short, it took me weeks of long distance phone calls($200.00 worth) I had to buy my kids clothes, school supplies, beds, dishes, some furniture, and the worst was the emotional stress. I have 3 children and we sat here for weeks eating on the floor like dogs due to the fact that I kep being told by various organizations we would never see our things again. So, the financial burden has been devestating!

I finally was pointed in the right direction by the Broward County Sherrifs office and was sent to the FBI. They were able to go to this business and talk them into releasing our things to another mover. Who delivered out belongings in 2 days! This whole experience had been emotional and financialy devestating. I am a single Mom and I cannot afford to get a lawyer. I wish I could because I would take them to court.

This company is run by Isrelies. They come to this country and do not care about the law or stealing from women and children. They need to be deported and never allowed to come to this country!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/25/2000 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/South-America-Van-Lines-Magesty/Lauderdale-Lakes-Florida-33311/South-America-Van-Lines-Magesty-Moving-and-Storage-Fradulent-Forigners-2146. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on South America Van Lines (Magesty)