Complaint Review: South Bay Expressway

• Updated: Wed, February 06, 2013

• Reported By: NG — San Ysidro California United States of America
South Bay Expressway
San Diego, California United States of America

South Bay Expressway Enhanced Penalties with No Notice of Violation San Diego, California

A few days ago, I got a notice, from a "law firm" collection agency, of a citation for non-payment of tolls on Hwy. 125 ("managed" by South Bay Expressway - ("SBE") that occurred 6 months ago, when I made a quick round trip from Otay Mesa to Eastlake.  (I have never lived in or near San Diego, am not very familiar with its streets, much less this strange, private toll road, and either could not determine whether/where to pay, or else I slid my credit card through the machine, thinking I had paid the $3 tolls - I do not recall which, at this late date).  This was my FIRST notice of any violation; yet the penalty for failing to pay 2 $3.00 tolls had been enhanced to $207.00,  due to my failure to respond sooner to a citation I never received.

I contacted both SBE (and the collection agency) and explained that I had moved to Baja California some time ago and that my mail service in San Diego had never delivered to me any notice of the violations.  SBE replied that they had sent notices to my old address, in the San Francisco area, which was what the DMV had on file at the time of the violations.  (I had been late in informing DMV of my move to Mexico, for reasons relating to distance, lack of use of my driver's license, and many things to do in connection with such a big move.  Apparently, DMV did not record the new address until a few weeks after my violations.  However, as SBE admits, DMV records shortly after the violation (and likely well before any second notice of violation might have been sent) did show my current address, and further, that I had moved there well before the violation ever occurred.

In response to my request that SBE waive the penalties, in light of my never having received notice of the violations, SBE, in essence, has said, "Tough luck. It was your duty to notify DMV of your address change earlier than you did, and we won't waive any part of the penalty."  So much for Due Process.  For a (totally unintentional) failure to pay $6 in tolls, SBE now wants to make a killing and collect $207.00.  I am outraged and intend to ask the Court to be more reasonable and understanding than SBE is being.

I will avoid it like the plague, from now on!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/06/2013 07:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/South-Bay-Expressway/San-Diego-California-92154/South-Bay-Expressway-Enhanced-Penalties-with-No-Notice-of-Violation-San-Diego-California-1010080. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on South Bay Expressway