Complaint Review: South Bay Expressway

• Updated: Tue, December 21, 2010

• Reported By: heresjone — highland California United States of America
South Bay Expressway
1129 La Media Road San Diego, California United States of America

South Bay Expressway Submitted false claim for Toll Evasion San Diego, California

*Consumer Comment: South Bay Expressway's resolution process is insufficient

*UPDATE Employee: We're happy to clear up any mistakes...

I received a Notice of Toll Evasion - Payment Request from Sout Bay Expressway Dated 12/1/10 requesting that I pay $63 by 12/22/2010 or $103 if not paid after 12/22/2010. Further, the letter states that "we may put a hold on your DMV registration" if payment is not received by 1/15/2011.

The letter states that on 11-16-2010 at 9:11 am I didn't pay the toll at (location) 9004-OLR-NB-2. I have no idea where that is, but it seems to be somewhere near San Diego.

This is completely impossible as I haven't been to or near San Diego in almost 10 years.

I called and spoke to a customer service agent who asked for my Citation number and license plate number. Within a few seconds he told me that it obviously wasn't me and that the case would be closed, and I could verify that by going to their website and entering in the Citation number.

Upon doing this, I clicked a link "VIEW" to see further details. According to the information on their own website, the violation was by someone with my exact license plate number minus the first digit (there's was 6 digits mine was 7).

It just seems to me that they send these letters out and hope people will just pay them without question. As soon as anyone does question the matter, the quickly close the case and drop it to avoid stirring up unwanted attention to their scam.

Judging by the complaints on this website, they do this quite often. Don't get taken in by this scam. It's akin to the clerk at the grocery store charging you for 2 heads of lettuce instead of just 1, and quckily appologizing and voiding it off if you catch them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/20/2010 01:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/South-Bay-Expressway/San-Diego-California-92154/South-Bay-Expressway-Submitted-false-claim-for-Toll-Evasion-San-Diego-California-673604. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on South Bay Expressway

South Bay Expressway's resolution process is insufficient

AUTHOR: B. Parr - ()

I've also received one of these notices for a car that has never been in San Diego.

South Bay Expressway allows you to dispute a claim, but only in writing.  SBE requirse a separate letter from the falsely accused citizen.  At minimum, a declaration on their form letter should be sufficient. But consumers should be able to declare online that SBE's claim is false.

This is system is designed to maximize the inconvenience to citizens falsely accused of evading tolls.

We're happy to clear up any mistakes...

AUTHOR: South Bay Expressway - (USA)

Hello,

We're sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, technology isn't perfect and sometimes when a photo is taken of a license plate, the numbers or letters are read or entered incorrectly in our system. This type of error is straightforward and easily proven - the toll violations team will go back and review the day/time of the infraction and look at the license plate in question to verify which is what the Customer Service Representative who helped you did. There are folks who choose to evade tolls, which is why we have the video surveillance system in place.

The set of numbers and letters that are referenced on the notice you received are abbreviations for the different entrance and exit ramps on South Bay Expressway. It sounds like you've taken the proper action by calling us right away. In cases like yours where it's determined to be an error with the license-plate reader, the toll violations will be removed and you wouldnt be held responsible for the fine. We have now sent the violation to the appropriate owner of the vehicle with our newly corrected information.

We apologize that youve had to take the extra steps to get this cleared and we assure you that there is no scam here. In cases like yours where a commuter in San Diego with a similar plate to yours is using South Bay Expressway without paying, we can avoid sending you their citations by filtering your particular plate number from our system if this happens again. After the second incorrect citation typically to folks out of town who have a similar plate, we make sure that you would no longer receive citations for trips on South Bay Expressway since at that point we know the system is reading the plate in a particular incorrect way. Please dont hesitate to call and wed be happy to do that for you. Sometimes mistakes happen, but we're always glad to correct them for you.