receives

• Updated: Fri, July 23, 2010

• Reported By: LiaN219 — Wakefield Massachusetts United States of America
South Bay Office Products, Inc
1100 S. Powerline Rd. Ste 101 Deerfield Beach, Florida United States of America

South Bay Office Products, Inc Used Controller's name falsely, Sent me an abundance of supplies, Deerfield Beach, Florida

*Consumer Comment: Common Scam..

I had received a phone call saying they had spoken with my controller and she directed them to call and ask for me. Seeing as how we were trying to cut down our cost for office supplies the deal they were offering was great. I took it and Dawn told me I was going to a special thats for me. After finding out this was a scam I asked my controller if she ever heard of this company or person and she said no.

So I agreed to a few items since they mentioned they were liquidating, because they were moving. Items were like 3 packages of pens, 4 packages of notebooks, 10 packages of sticky notes, etc. It was nothing like what I received. I saw the UPS guy walking up our hall with like 6 medium/huge boxes and thought those arent mine. He told me they were so I said ok and took them, seeing as how we get deliveries here all the time.

I opened a couple of boxes and there was a lifetime supply of paperclips, post it notes, markers. I was in shock, we would never use all this stuff, ever. Now I didnt write any information down like a phone number when I got the first call, only a name, so I decided to google the company to get their phone number and thats when I found the rip-off reports. FYI they are all true. I got an invoice in the mail for $5,000 after being quoted like $300. They call you constantly looking for their money. Dont panic like I did. There is a way around this. I wanted them out of my life forever. Since when you call them it rings and no one answers, I waited for them to call me. I tried playing the whole I didnt order anything, but that didnt work. So after a few phone calls I decided to tell them I didnt want anything they sent, they tried offering me a discounted price of $2500. I said I was quoted $300 I dont want these items. So I asked them to send me some return UPS labels, they had no problem obliging. They sent the labels I sent the boxes back.

People on here are saying you dont need to send anything back per this law and that law, I think its just easier to get them out of your hair and get the boxes out.

Hope this helped. I know I felt alot better sending the items back

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/23/2010 06:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/South-Bay-Office-Products-Inc/Deerfield-Beach-Florida-33442/South-Bay-Office-Products-Inc-Used-Controllers-name-falsely-Sent-me-an-abundance-of-su-626068. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on South Bay Office Products, Inc

Common Scam..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

This is a very common scam.  These people generally "cold call" offices and get the name of the first person that answers.   That person then amazingly becomes the purchaser for overpriced office supplies.  In your case they probably called previously or looked at your web site to get your controllers name.  They then call and say that they talked to person xyz and that xyz gave them your name.  If that happens again tell them that you are going to put them on hold and check with xyz.  Odds are before you can hit the hold button they will have hung up.

The "scam" comes in when they send the bill.  They hope that they got a big company and the invoice just "slips" through the cracks and gets paid unquestioned.  If it does not slip through they get you another way.  They allow you to return it for a "restocking fee" that again amazingly enough is about the same amount it would cost for those supplies at a regular store.  If they didn't try and get you to pay a restocking fee then be glad you got out of this with only a little hassle.

However, you actually did have the right to keep the unordered merchandise and not pay for it.  That is probably one of the better ways to try and shut these places down.  If everyone kept all of this merchandise they would eventually be loosing money and have to shut down.