Complaint Review: South Dallas Hyundai aka Dallas Hyundai aka Southwest Hyundai

• Updated: Wed, July 14, 2010

• Reported By: MadAsHell — Carrollton Texas USA
South Dallas Hyundai aka Dallas Hyundai aka Southwest Hyundai
39550 LBJ S Dallas, Texas United States of America

South Dallas Hyundai aka Dallas Hyundai aka Southwest Hyundai Christian Folmer, Katherine Suitt, Lied and concealed many mechanical issues with used Saturn Vue. Dallas, Texas

*Author of original report: What do you do at Dallas Hyundai?

*Consumer Comment: Lets break it down...

*Author of original report: BBB Gives Dallas Hyundai an "F"

*Author of original report: Update from the BBB - Dallas Hyundai Didn't Even Bother To Reply to BBB

*Consumer Comment: BOYCOTT ALL GENERAL MOTORS & CHRYSLER PRODUCTS BECAUSE IT APPEARS THAT BOTH COMPANIES ARE LINKED WITH THE FEDERAL RESERVE. Anyone can 'Google' this- WHO OWNS THE FED?, and go to the site.....

*Author of original report: Same Old Used Car Salesman Crap - or Why You Should Not Buy A Car from Dallas Hyundai

*UPDATE Employee: You knew when you bought it, the vehicle has NO WARRANTY

*Author of original report: Further Updates

*Author of original report: Followup

Dallas Hyundai aka Southwest Hyundai

39550 LBJ S

Dallas, TX 75232

Attn: Christian Folmer, Katherlin Suitt

Christian,

When I came down to the dealership to look at the car on April 16th, you told me the car was in great condition, that the AC needed a little Freon as it was not ice cold, but never the less stayed cold. I noticed a shiver in the front end when you braked and told me that all it needed were brake pads but that your mechanics were not certified in Saturn autos. When we worked on the price, you knocked a couple of hundred dollars off so that I could use that for fixing the pads. I also noticed that an Engine Light was on.

I explained to you that the money toward the purchase price was all the money that I had available since I am unemployed. I specifically told you that I had no money to fix any issues and that I needed a roadworthy automobile that had no issues. You guaranteed me that you knew of no issues with the truck. I asked you rather jokingly, Youre not lying to me now, are you? You said, No, buddy.

I checked out the funds, figured that it would cost 4k with TTL and said that I would like to know that the truck were roadworthy and asked him to have his mechanics inspect it and put a new Texas Inspection sticker on it after it passed. We also agreed to make sure that whatever was causing the engine light to come on be fixed.

We agreed, and I came back the next morning, April 17th, a Saturday to sign the agreement and take the car home. I asked you and the salesperson Katherine if the truck was in good mechanical condition. Katherine said she didnt know of any issues and you told me that Its in really good shape buddy. You shouldnt have any issues. The Engine light was off at that time.

On Monday morning, April 19th I took the vehicle up to Goodyear in Carrollton, Carrollton Tire and Battery. Thats where I was absolutely blown away by the laundry list of mechanical issues with the truck.

The brake pad issue turned out to be the only thing that was remotely close to being answered correctly However it wasnt the brake pads, both front wheel rotors were warped and I had to fix that issue which I did paying $164 out of pocket.

Goodyear put the truck up on the rack to show me some of the issues which were extremely obvious. The AC unit had been repeatedly filled with Freon and was leaking all over the place. The compressor was completely shot, over $900 to fix.

Next, the mechanic reached his hand up to grab the rack part of the rack and pinion and commenced to shake it violently. In a normal car this should not happen. Right now the rack and pinion here are about to fall right off the front of the car. When you apply the brakes hard going over 30, you can feel the shift in the front end, not the normal braking feeling. The mechanic said it was so bad that I should be very scared that the whole assembly could come loose rendering steering impossible.

The shifting of the rack and pinion has caused the intermediate shaft to also need replacing. There will almost certainly be other issues caused by the lack of mechanical inspection.

The car also needs the drums replaced on the rear wheels and four wheel alignment along with the key cylinder assembly so the ignition key doesnt break off in the ignition.

I called you immediately on April 17th and confronted you with all these items and you expressed surprise and said you didnt know about any of them. Needless to say I told you I didnt believe you. I said I would fax the list of items Goodyear had printed out over to you and I did on the 17th. You told me Dont worry about it buddy, well make it right. Well work out something, maybe some super heavy discounts. I didnt agree to anything, but waited for your response.

Over the next few days I left several messages. On Friday I finally told them I would wait on the phone until you came on. Once you were on the phone you told me that you indeed got my fax on Monday and your service manager was working on a list and would have it to me by Monday, April 26th. As of todays date, May 4th, I have yet to hear anything from Southwest Hyundai.

Since we have talked last, more issues have come up. The engine light has come back which Goodyear tells me indicates that a possibility exists that the battery was disconnected which will cut the Engine light off for a couple of hundred miles are so, but doing so does not address whatever issue was going on.

Also, there is a severe oil leak. Ive now had the truck for two weeks and have had to add 3 quarts of oil.

Also, the truck has been coughing when you press on the accelerator at all sorts of time, feels like a vacuum hose is being connected and disconnected on and off but may be an indicator of major engine issues.

Christian, if there were one issue, that would be something, but this list of items leads a person to think of the possibility that the car was sold in full knowledge of both the safety issues and other problems.

I do not think you can possibly make this truck work correctly. There are too many issues at to high a cost. I either want my money refunded in full or want a replacement car with a wholesale value of what I paid for this car. You have cost me a lot of money and time. I feel like a bought a car with, as they said in the old days, sawdust in the transmission so I would drive it off the lot.

If you were a tote the note lot, I might expect this, but not from a major car dealership.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/04/2010 07:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/South-Dallas-Hyundai-aka-Dallas-Hyundai-aka-Southwest-Hyundai/Dallas-Texas-75232/South-Dallas-Hyundai-aka-Dallas-Hyundai-aka-Southwest-Hyundai-Christian-Folmer-Katherine-610512. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on South Dallas Hyundai aka Dallas Hyundai aka Southwest Hyundai

What do you do at Dallas Hyundai?

AUTHOR: MadAsHell - (USA)

So you must work for Dallas Hyundai. Is that you Christian?

"When I came down to the dealership to look at the car on April 16th , you told me the car was in great condition" He is a salesman!  That's what he does!  What do you expect?  For him to tell you it's a piece of crap?
------------
Absolutely. It's a major car dealership. Any normal major car dealership would have pawned a vehicle with all these issues off on a tote-the-note lot

"I noticed a shiver in the front end when you braked and told me that all
--------------------
How would you know he's not a mechanic (unless you worked there)?

"When we worked on the price, you knocked a couple of hundred dollars off
--------------
Possibly so. But this is certainly not what you expect from a major car dealership.

"You guaranteed me that you knew of no issues with the truck." He wasn't lying.  He's not a mechanic.  He knew of no issues with the truck.  Completely true statement.
-----------
Again, how do you know that he is not a mechanic unless you work for them. And if his mechanics (at a major car dealership) weren't able to determine in the weeks/months that the car dealership what a Goodyear did in one hour, would you have anything to do with that car dealership buying a car or taking it to their mechanics?

"I would like to know that the truck were roadworthy and asked him to have his mechanics inspect it and put a new Texas Inspection sticker on it after it passed."
What!  How smart is that?  I am sure they would have let you take it and have a 3rd party inspect it.  It can pass inspection and still have major issues.
--------------------
Smart enough to assure that they passed a car with a broken front windshield.

"The engine light has come back which Goodyear tells me indicates that a possibility
---------------
That doesn't make any sense. Autozone will be a tester on it. That doesn't make the light go off. Then they will tell what the issue is.

"Also, there is a severe oil leak." If this is true, could you not see it?
------------
Sure, if I had put it up on the rack I might have seen more. They powerwashed the top of the engine and it was spotless.

Bottom line, used cars are a roll of the dice.  Especially with that many miles.  I feel bad for your situation, but it's not the dealerships fault.
------------
We certainly disagree on that one.

More to come.

Lets break it down...

AUTHOR: Jjthejetplane - (U.S.A.)

"I noticed a shiver in the front end when you braked and told me that all it needed were brake pads" Again, he is a salesman, not a mechanic!  How would he know?  BTW, every car I have ever had has had warped rotors at one time or another.  It's common.

"When we worked on the price, you knocked a couple of hundred dollars off so that I could use that for fixing the pads." On trade, they probably paid 1000-1500 max for this car.  You should have done your homework.  They would have taken a lot less.

"You guaranteed me that you knew of no issues with the truck."

"The engine light has come back which Goodyear tells me indicates that a possibility exists that the battery was disconnected which will cut the Engine light off for a couple of hundred miles are so, but doing so does not address whatever issue was going on." It's an owner trick too.  Have done it a few times to reset the light.  Sure, doesn't address the issue, but if it's a glitch, it doesn't come on again and saves a trip to dealer.

"Also, there is a severe oil leak." If this is true, could you not see it?

BBB Gives Dallas Hyundai an "F"

AUTHOR: MadAsHell - (USA)

Interesting, Dallas BBB gives Dallas Hyundai the same grade I give them, an "F". Guess we use the same grading system...

Update from the BBB - Dallas Hyundai Didn't Even Bother To Reply to BBB

Complaint ID#: 91148346
Business Name: South Dallas Hyundai aka Dallas Hyundai

The Better Business Bureau has made several attempts to contact the business regarding the above referenced complaint. We regret to inform you that the company has not responded within the normal 22 day timeframe and accordingly we are closing the complaint as Unanswered.

The Better Business Bureau develops and maintains Reliability Report ratings on companies in our service area. This information is available to the public and is frequently used by potential customers. In the case of your complaint, the company's failure to promptly give attention to the matter will be reflected in the report we give to consumers about them.

If the company has contacted you in the interim, please notify the BBB immediately.

Sincerely,

Lee Stallings
Director of Complaint Resolution Department
with the 5 charts and see that General Motors & Chrysler are listed in 'Chart 3', correct?

*Don't forget to 'Google' this- ORIGINAL DISSENT WHO CONTROLS THE U.S. ECONOMY?, and go to that site and look at all of the people who are pictured there.

*Then 'Google' this- AMERICA: FREEDOM TO FASCISM, and watch it on the web to find out more about the Federal Reserve.

*************************** BANK/MORTGAGE ALERT *************************

*Make sure to visit the BANK OF AMERICA page of this site and the MERRILL LYNCH page of this site and read the Ripoff Reports for valuable information if you have a bank account and a mortgage.

AUTHOR: MadAsHell - (USA)

The reply from the UNKNOWN source at Dallas Hyundai is pretty much what I would expect from them. You can see from the timeline that it takes them weeks to get anything done.

Yes, I test drove the vehicle. The salesperson told me that the wobble in the front end was simply brake pads. They also told me that the vehicle was in excellent mechanical condition. I let Kathleen (sp?) Suitt, the salesperson, know that I had no extra money to fix the car, the purchase price was all I had. She went to Christian Folmer and he said he would drop the price down a couple of hundred dollars to put the brake pads on the front.

I went home and called back later to let them know that I would not accept the car in the shape it was in and they would have to fix certain issues such as, but not limited to, the air conditioning, the problem with the service light that came on, to check the front end to make sure that the shimmy in the front end was only break pads and that they would need to inspect it as I didn't think it would pass inspection with the massive crack in the windshield or the shimmy in the front end (allegedly from the brake pads). Christian agreed to get the AC working, to fully check the car out for mechanical issues, service light and inspect it (obviously this negates their "AS IS with NO WARRANTY" claim stated above as they agreed to do these things.)

And yes, the salesperson came and picked me up as I had sold my car the night before. This is a salesperson that was making a commission off me and a salary I'm sure off Dallas Hyundai. Of course they came to close a deal. Any salesperson would do that.

And yes, I signed the documents for a used car.

The issue that I have were what I feel were the coverups by Dallas Hyundai;

The car had a fresh inspection sticker on it, the AC was cold, the wobble was still there but Kathleen reaffirmed that putting on new brake pads would fix the issue.

The front end issue was not only warped rotors which I had to fix immediately, it was also the fact the rack and pinion system needs to be replaced. It should be impossible for a major car dealership not to know of this.

The service light came back on after about 200 miles. When I asked Goodyear, he told me that a common mechanics trick is to disconnect the battery, this will reset the light to off  but it will come back on after a couple of hundred miles. I don't know for sure if this is what happened, but they are a major car dealership, they should know how to interpret the data off a service light and fix it.

Since I bought the car I've now had to put in 12 quarts of oil, or about a quart every 200 miles. How in the world can a car dealership that has had this truck on their lot for any length of time not notice the puddle of oil where the truck was sitting?

And within two days of me leaving the car lot, the AC no longer put out cold air. The Goodyear mechanic showed me the pump where freon had been put into it and it had leaked all over the place. It was cold enough for me to drive off the lot though. Sounds kinda bad for Dallas Hyundai, eh?

And the key - that caused tons of problems. I ended up getting stuck out on the road with the key totally unable to turn in the ignition. Therefore the windows were stuck in a down position and I had to leave the car unattended with the windows down. I had to call a locksmith to come to pull the cylinder and to key the electronic ignition. Again, how does a major car dealership not recognize this issue?

I can go on and on.

Is this deception? How can these issues be explained by Dallas Hyundai? Would you buy a car from these guys? Would you trust a car you brought from them to be serviced by Dallas Hyundai?

Christian Folmer's "Don't worry about it buddy, we'll make it right" rings in my ear. It's a very hollow sound...

You knew when you bought it, the vehicle has NO WARRANTY

AUTHOR: cbf5525 - (United States of America)

Mr. Paul Heckman contacted our dealership in reference to a 2003 Saturn Vue with 166,231 miles, upon arrival Mr. Heckman looked over the vehicle, took the vehicle on a test demonstration (test drive), was notified the vehicle was being sold & represented AS-IS with NO WARRANTY, as every other used vehicle with this mileage is represented by every other car dealership across the country. Mr. Heckman did not purchase the vehicle nor take delivery of the vehicle on this day, he called the next day to close the deal verbally, and ask if the sales consultant could pick him up at his residence because he had no way to get to the dealership he also spoke with our finance manager to let her know who to contact for payment, also at this time he was notified that the vehicle was being SOLD AS-IS with NO WARRANTY and confirmed the selling price with the finance manager. 3 times verbally he was notified of the vehicles AS-IS with NO WARRANTY status. The sales consultant picked Mr.Heckman up over an hour away at his residence on her own time & dime, upon arrival Mr.Heckman visually inspected the vehicle again, was brought to the finance mangers office, at this time all the proper documents were signed by Mr.Heckman, buyers order, title application, and most importantly the BUYERS GUIDE which CLEARLY states once more for Mr. Heckman that the vehicle is being purchsed AS-IS with NO WARRANTY. In response to all of this for consumers we personally welcome pre-purchase inspections on all Pre-Owned inventory by outside sources, I have never met anyone that does not understand that a vehicle with 166,231 miles has NO WARRANTY.

Further Updates

AUTHOR: MadAsHell - (USA)

Still - no one has tried to call me other than a prerecorded message from a Service Mgr. That's it. No one from Hyundai of America has called me either. This would indicate they condone the actions of South Dallas Hyundai.

Besides Christian Fulmer and Katherine Suitt, Tammy Harlan is the "Finance Manager" and Schell Riis-Due is the "Sales Manager" according to their cards

AUTHOR: MadAsHell - (USA)

A followup - I emailed this same letter to Hyundai of America. They said someone from the dealership would contact me regarding it. I received a prerecorded email message from the Service Mgr.