Complaint Review: South University Online

*Consumer Comment: Resolution

*Consumer Comment: To me, it could be

*Consumer Comment: advice

*Consumer Comment: South got me too

*Consumer Comment: Really sad!

40 credits from graduation and I am told that I have maxed out my student loans. I am asked if I can pay $5882 out of pocket...ummm...if I could pay for my tuition out of pocket, I would not have needed to take out student loans (subsidized and unsubsidized), pell grants and the georgia tuition equalization grant! I am a single mom who works full-time (only making $26,000 a year) and I have a house payment and a car payment! Thanks SUO for not making my dreams of graduating come true!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/20/2012 08:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/South-University-Online/internet/South-University-Online-I-have-run-out-of-financial-aid-Internet-856567. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on South University Online

Resolution

AUTHOR: seahareeyes - (United States of America)

Who can you go to for help?

To me, it could be

AUTHOR: MochaG - (United States of America)

I think this problem comes from both the school and the student. Yes, the student should be able to calculate the budget before he/she starts the school, but most people who go to this kind of college (for-profit) do not know how to. Besides, they all fell into the school trap (commercial ads and sale pitch) and believe that they will graduate without any problem.

So the problem from students is that they made a bad choice. Their mind is somewhat hypnotized by the school sales and that they stop digging further for more information. The problem from the school is that they have their sale pitch which fits to these people and lure them into the school. Therefore, students are lose and lose; whereas the school is win and win.

State colleges are much cheaper but not flexible enough for many people because the schools want students to focus on education only. This is when for-profit schools come in because they trade the price with more available time (and often times trade the price with the education quality as well).

There is nothing much you can do because you are already lured into their trap. You may try to transfer their credits (if they are actually worth anything for state colleges) and finish the degree somewhere else; otherwise, you may have to pay for the price of your decision in the first place (either pay real money or lose all you did with them).

advice

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this isn't a rip off, nor is it the problem of South University.  The federal government caps student loans. Once you reach the maximum, that's it. No more.  Did any of you stop and compute what the degree might actually cost? I suspect not since you're all out of money and not finished with the degree yet.

I hope your unfortunate experiences will serve as a warning to other students considering these horribly expensive schools.  I'm willing to bet that your local community college and/or state university has the same program for a lot less money.  Almost every school now has an online program for the working adult. They're far cheaper.  Even the school I work for (which is a private university) would cost less than South.

Unfortunately, you have no one to blame but yourself.

South got me too

AUTHOR: bandlmom - (United States of America)

It seems South is doing this to a lot of us lately.  I am at my witts end.  I feel so upset.  I have 20 credits left and now they locked me out of my classes because my financial is maxed out.  Now, what can I do?  I can't qualify for a private loan.  If anyone has any advice please advise.

Really sad!

AUTHOR: west31705 - (United States of America)

The same thing happen to me except, I have 31 cedits left. At the end of the term I was told I had no money left.  Now, they tell me I have to pay 14,000 to finish.  I tried everything to contact them when I was afriad this would happen, but no return calls; they finally call me back once the money was gone only to tell me I had none.  School is all I have left also.  I do wish you the best. It sounds like just another sad story like mine.  I'm not giving up though I'll contact whoever I need to so I can get back in; they must be stopped.  I must have had 5 different financial aid and academic counselors the entire time; each one not knowing a clue about the job.  Good luck to you my friend.