Complaint Review: South University Online

South University Online

South University Online South University Rips Students OFF Internet

*General Comment: Success as a SUO graduate

*Consumer Comment: The Problem with Advisors at South University Online

I was a student at South University online, and I have read the articles on here. I agree with what Tom said. They do pressure you into signing up for their school, you do get charged for an entire class if you even just sign into the class once. I decided to drop a class after the first assignment and I was charged for the entire class. The instructors are okay, but they want to keep sending you to the online tutoring center for help. That is because, after so much time using the online tutoring services, they start charging you for them. I think that if you need help, then the instructor should be willing to help you, not try to push you off on someone else. Also, they messed up my financial aid, so that if I wanted to attend a different college, I would have to wait so many months or pay out of my pocket. (Sucks for me) when I was on the phone with them, I told them that I was unemployed and wasn't interested in attending college yet. Well, they persisted. The only reason they even had my information, was because I applied for a job on a website, and I believe that they may have something to do with that site as well, because each time I applied for a job there, I would get a call from SU. You are better off just buying the text books and teaching yourself, that is what you will end up doing anyways. also, a percentage of your grade is based on classroom participation. That breaks down to, telling your classmates what they did wrong or right and giving them information on how they can improve or asking if they can help you. You end up feeling like the teacher and hurting people's feelings in the process. I do not recommend this school or any affiliated schools. They will suck your pocket books dry.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/26/2010 08:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/South-University-Online/internet/South-University-Online-South-University-Rips-Students-OFF-Internet-607715. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on South University Online

#1 General Comment

Success as a SUO graduate

AUTHOR: Beth RN - (United States of America)

First, in the interest of full disclosure....I did not need any financial aid to return to graduate school. This may be part of the reason that my experience as a student of South Univ Online was so different than yours. However, I do disaggree with a number of the points you make.

Yes, they definitely pressure you to sign up. I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, while I was initally exploring online options, I had to call the school and tell the admissions people to "Leave me alone! If I decide to attend, I'll let you know!".

I found the faculty, at least at the graduate level, to be excellent, caring individuals. Then again, I was in the grad school for nursing, and nurses are supposed to be caring. They were all helpful, responded to questions and concerns almost immediately. Many of the PhD's. shared their private cell numbers if needed.

I disagree also with your comments "You are better off..... teaching yourself, that is what you will end up doing anyway. A percentage of your grade is based on classroom participation. That (means) telling your classmates what they did wrong or right and giving them information on how they can improve or asking if they can help you".

Well, how do you feel that you SHOULD be evaluated, if not by class participation? And, this IS college, and you are known as an "Adult Learner". Adults learn best by directing their own education. Who else but you, knows what you want/need out of each class? My classmates and I learned from each other, not telling each other what they did right or wrong! It was more like "You made a good observation. Can you back it up with references, research?".

As far as "sucking your pockets dry"? Well, SUO was less expensive than the majority of graduate programs I considered, online and traditional.

Yes, I had my share of frustrating experiences with advisors, just how offen I would send them a check (when my work hours were decreased), etc. But I worked at it.

I am now a graduate of their Masters in Nursing program. I have my MSN, and a new job as a Nurse Educator myself. I teach nursing students in our local Community College program.

I recieved an excellent education, my classmates would agree.......we still keep in touch.

I'm sorry that your experience was so different. But South University is NOT a rip-off. I have the credentials,the education, and pictures of hundreds fellow graduates (at the AD, BS, and MS level) to show for it.

The Problem with Advisors at South University Online

AUTHOR: Consumer Rights Advocate - (United States of America)

Financial Aid, Academic and Enrollment advisors at South University need to do a better job advising students thoroughly, that is their job.  Financial Aid is a serious debt incurred that should be explained thoroughly to the student using plain English, not Financial Aid terms that the student does not understand. Each students situation is different and each student needs to be treated like an individual.  One automated email does not apply to all students in every situation.  Many students get stuck owing money that they never intended because they were not advised thoroughly and in plain English of withdrawl or Financial Aid procedures.  This happens to many students and it is not the student's fault if they were mislead or misinformed.