My husband and I discovered a leak in our master bathroom back in early Fall of 2009. Around mid-to late Fall, a sales rep from Southeastern Roofing & Restoration came to our door offering to do a "free" inspection of our roof.
We obliged and upon inspection, they determined there was significant damage and advised us to contact our insurance company to file a claim. We did that and the insurance company verified the damage and paid on the claim. The total amount for the job was somewhere around 6 or 7k.
We took some time to get the 1 thousand dollar deductible together but in the meantime, these people were very hard to get a hold of which, looking back, was one of many red flags we should've noticed.
In addition to constantly having to run these people down, they told us we needed to pay 5k up front...a policy they recently started because they'd been burned by customers who didn't pay after the job was through. (second red flag!) So, we wrote them a check for 5k...they in turn cashed it and set up what turned out to be a bogus date for them to do the work...
That date was in mid February. We heard nothing from them after we gave them the money. I finally was able to get one of the so-called sales guys on the phone only for him to inform me that because of rainy weather our "installation" date would have to be pushed back 5 almost six months to the end of July.
I, in turn, told him that was absolutely ridiculous and we needed a much closer date. So they gave a date of May 20th 2010. Monday May 17th, my husband began calling the business because once again we hadn't heard from them to confirm the scheduled date.
My husband works in Alpharetta, GA which is not far from the business in Cumming so he decided to go by there only to find a vacant building. The property manager just happened to be there and told him they moved out 3 weeks ago!
Needless to say I am beside myself with anger, guilt (for not recognizing what i now see were obvious bad signs) and frustration. Our roof is still in need of repair and we no longer have the means to fix it. We already have a claim on record and we certainly don't have the money to pay out of pocket .
We have two small children (3 & 6 mos) and we are wanting to put our house on the market by next year to move closer to family up north. But I don't see how anyone would want to buy a house with a horrible looking roof...let alone buy it knowing that they would have to incur the expense of replacing the roof.
If there is anyone who can offer me some sort of guidance on how to pursue this I would appreciate it. I plan to file a complaint with BBB, I am also filing a police report...I'd like to go to small claims court but was told I can't file unless I have a physical address for the president of the company or the parties involved.