Complaint Review: Southern Belle Great Danes

• Updated: Sun, December 11, 2011

• Reported By: Kaitlyn — Nitro West Virginia United States of America
Southern Belle Great Danes
1701 Polkville Rd shelby, North Carolina United States of America

Southern Belle Great Danes Lori Vincent, Loreda Vincent Sold genetic defected/worm infected pup and refuses to go by contract/health guarantee - LAWSUIT PENDING shelby, North Carolina

*General Comment: wow

*Author of original report: Apache''s Mom aka Lori

*Consumer Comment: A few points not mentioned previously

*Consumer Comment: I currently own a puppy from Southern Belle Danes

*General Comment: Totally Agree with the Buyer!

*Author of original report: a little off topic :)

*Consumer Comment: question....

*Author of original report: thank you for the comment

*General Comment: I'm not sure why the vet exam is the main issue to the Breeder.

*Author of original report: Breeder yet again doesnt see the facts

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Buyer Unwilling to allow seller to have a vet exam

*General Comment: I think the seller isn't understanding her own contract.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Again, BUYER is not accurately reflecting the situation

*Author of original report: HAVE Proof of everything - she lies - posting proof below!!

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Buyer MISREPRESENTING situation

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I am looking for people who have had trouble with any puppies they have bought from Lori Vincent, Southern Belle Danes in Shelby, NC. I can email anyone copies of the emails, more vet statements and any needed information. I am filing a small claims case against her this week but I want to find enough people with problems that they would like to resolve in court so that we can file a class action lawsuit against her. I have a statement from 1 other unhappy person and have spoke on the phone with another. Please contact me with any information! I really would like to find littermates to thunder and know if any have hip problems also!! We have 3 young children that have become attached to him and will know when he is put to sleep because we cannot afford the $6000 to $8000 surgery to fix him. I will put this on here for Lori also - SLANDER is a false and defamatory statement or report. [continued below]....

..... DEFAMATION is false or unjustified injury of the good reputation of another. LIBEL is anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.

**None of this is false, I have proof of everything.**
These are pictures of some of her dogs. The harlequin pup in the pics is the male we bought from her. The adult harlequin standing in one pic and a head shot in another is our pups sire.

I contacted Lori in May 2010 about getting a show quality harlequin male. I told her I wanted to show. She states on her website that she shows so I thought she could help us with a nice show male. Thunder was born 6/4/10 to a harlequin male (pics above) Ima blue huckleberry and a blue female Dees got the blues lillian. There was one other harlequin male in the litter, larry, she called him. Several blacks and blues. She also had another litter born within days of this one from a harlequin female, Pepper and a blue male, Storm. That litter was also harlequin, blues, blacks and merles. She had a merle from that litter she tried to sell me as a "blue harlequin" My friend warned me blue harlequins are not an AKC accepted color and are not rare as her $1200 price would make one think. I know someone with a pup from the Pepper/Storm litter thats puppy also had a severe worm infestation and a staph infection.

I sent a deposit on Thunder when he was a little over 1 week old. He was sold to us with a 2 year health guarantee on his hips. She stated in emails that our male, Thunder, is show marked and show quality. About a week later I looked at the AKC website and read the harlequin standard and realized he is nowhere near show marked. When I asked her she said "You see all different markings in the show ring and his conformation will make up for his markings being too heavy." You can tell by his older pics that is not true. He is severely cow hocked, has a horrible topline and steep croup.

When we got him at 7 weeks he was very bloated and infested with worms. We picked him up July 23rd. We stayed in TN in a hotel that weekend for a vacation and when we got to the hotel that evening the first thing I noticed was how horribly infested with worms he was and I could tell he was having trouble walking. We came home Sunday and I took him to the vet Monday. The vet confirmed the worm infestation and checked his hips. He said there was a strong possibility of hip dysplasia and was surprised of our pup showing symptoms at 7 weeks. He said it might also be that he was having trouble walking from being so badly bloated.

He suggested a high quality feed, good deworming and getting Xrays to confirm the Hip dysplasia at closer to 6 months. We called Lori as soon as we left the vet and told her everything he said. She said we could bring him back now and get our money back but would prefer we wait until we can get Xrays to confirm incase it was something else. She said if the vet can confirm with Xrays that it was genetic then the guarantee would cover it and she was great with us keeping him until then. She said if it was because of an injury then we would not get a refund.

We fed thunder Diamonds Naturals dog food and started supplementing him with Glucosamine DS with SMS and Chondroitin hip and joint supplement as recommended by our vet and he still continued to get much worse. He was having trouble walking, never wanted to play (specialist said its because he is in pain) yelps when his knees/legs are touched and has trouble getting up after resting. On 10/07/10 we took him to an orthopedic specialist where they did an exam and several Xrays and confirmed the diagnosis of Hip Dysplasia and also Cruciates Disease (which is also genetic) The specialist also noted many conformation defects. I immediately contacted Lori with the results and she acted like she would meet us and replace him with a fawn male that had a hernia at birth.

We were to leave at 10am on 1/3/10 and she called at 8:30 and said she wouldnt meet us. I have decided to take her to court in hopes or recouping some of our costs. We offered to return Thunder since I do not want to have to put him to sleep but she always made excuses. I also told her that the specialist said it is HIGHLY likely that one of the parents also suffers with Hip dysplasia and possibly also cruciates disease since our pup had both so severly at such a young age. I advised her to get them OFA certified and she said she would do so later 2010 and would not breed them until she did so. She has had at least 3 litters from the same male since then. She is also STUDDING OUT THE MALE. Thank you again for taking the time to read this. I hope no one has to go through what we have.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2011 04:58 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Southern-Belle-Great-Danes/shelby-North-Carolina-/Southern-Belle-Great-Danes-Lori-Vincent-Loreda-Vincent-Sold-genetic-defectedworm-infecte-678830. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Southern Belle Great Danes

#1 General Comment

wow

AUTHOR: TMarv - ()

If I were the breeder this would not be an issue any longer.   Simply because the slander, defamation,  and malicious comments are a small piece of the law suit I would have against this bitter clueless buyer.  HD in large breed dogs common...  some detected early others not.  This matter should have been handled more professionally verses publicly.  Personally, being a lawyer, had I been the breeder I would sue the buyer and have numerous civil and criminal charges.

Its like this you take 2 perfect humans and reproduce...  you plan for a genetically perfect child, 46 perfect chromosomes. ...  if the infant has HD do you belittle and degrade the physician of you significant other because they produced a child w HD ...  no congenital HD can show up in teen years, do you ask for a refund or an exchange?  No, you seek treatment.

Or say your child is born w trisomy 13...  you wouldn't post malicious items like this about your self...showing the genetic defects (the breeder cant control genetics... and if she can she is in the wrong career) degrading yourself for producing a child w a genetic defect that you had no control over...  NO you would not, no one would.   My thoughts are you.had opportunity to work w the breeder and choose to instead keep your puppy and continues with the above non sense.  Apparently you have way to much free time, I hope she, the breeder, takes you to the cleaners...  I would!

Apache''s Mom aka Lori

AUTHOR: Kaitlyn Campbell - ()

I have not gotten an update for this in a Long time.  Thanks to a kind soul on Facebook sharing a link to this and several videos and pictures they took of Loris "home" I saw the last comment by Apache''s Mom.  Funny you dont use your actual name or contact info...

How exactly would you go about getting a vet statement notarized?  I do not know of a vet, or any professional office that needs statements on letterhead with receipts notarized.  I believe the reason Lori gets away with what she does is because she knows someone.  I did not mention this previously.  A few months before going to that court date I had a stroke and heart surgery.  I was still struggling with my speech.  Every time I would stumble, stutter or freeze up because I was confused the Judge would laugh at me.

The more upset and frustrated I became the worse the stuttering and freezing would get.  It quickly became apparent the Judge wasn't even paying attention to what I said.  I have never seen a Judge ask for Doctors statement to be notarized.  I asked the vets before going to court and they said as long as it was on the letterhead it was considered offical.  The vets at Cross Lanes had written statements for similar reasons before and never notarized them.

How does having young children and a husband that works nights affect the health of my animals?  Sounds more like you're just trying to grasp at straws to try and make me look like the bad guy.

Funny that one minute you're complaining I didnt do what I was supposed to per the contract and return the dog and next your complaining that you have big issues with me because I wanted to return the dog?  I have big issues with you being an idiot.

There is a HUGE difference in spending $6000+ on surgeries that would be repeated several times as he matured and his joints grew and spending $1000 a year on showing.  A few hundred dollars at a show every few months is nothing in comparison.  Why cant Lori afford the $300 to get the parents OFA certs done when shes making $1000's on her puppies every few months???

I do not have any complaints listed on other sites.  I did rant on my FB page though.

I would like to see you force a Great Dane puppy, or any breed of puppy for that matter, not to jump and play.  What am I supposed to lock them in a cage?  Im sorry I guess him playing must have caused GENETIC HD!  Genetic means just that, genetic.  Hip issues caused by injury are evaluated completely differently.  My kids have NEVER ridden on any of my dogs.  Im not an idiot so quit making up false facts.

I did choose a vet knowledgeable with large breeds, Ohio State University.  You can say what you want about me, my local vets or the way I raised him but you cannot disagree with a reputable Universities Veterinarians!  When I called to get him an appt with them the only one available was that next morning.  I had to wake up at 3am and drag 3 young children out of bed just to make it there in time.  Let alone sitting in the waiting room for hours while they evaluated him.  There were Xrays done by both a local vet and OSU.  My local vet, Cross Lanes, sent the Xrays to OSU but they wanted to do an evaluation themselves.  OSU is the one who diagnosed him with Wobblers, the previous vet visits had thought his off gait was due to the HD.

I find it really funny that "Apache''s Mom" is so quick to argue with 3 vets offices diagnoses.  Did I miss you stating you are a DVM???  A vet tech even?  What the heck does it matter if its MILD HD?  Mild HD still means it is HD!  What difference does mild make?

Funny you complain about people like me posting on this "sleazy" site yet you are posting on here also.  Guess that makes you a sleazy person too!

My balance at the vet is because I took in all my dogs that day.  I dont know of any vet that lets people leave without paying.  Get your facts straight.  My balance is my business and has nothing to do with the dog have CHD!!  The puppy my friend got from her at the same time had staph and she has the vet bills to prove it.

No its not Loris fault that CHD is a disease, it is her fault that she knows she is producing a puppy with HD does nothing to fulfill her "guarantee" and keeps breeding the sire and dam with getting them OFA certified.  I would bet $100 that the sire fails his OFA.  Prove me wrong Lori!  Get him OFA'd and if he passes Ill mail you that $100.  What is the point of a guarantee?  Reputable breeders should be able to give a guarantee and hold to it.

It has been 3 years and I am still so upset and mad that my heart is racing.  Ignorant puppy mills.  I learned a lot about "breeders" after this.  I will never buy another Dane without checking OFA certs first.  I will go to a breeders home and see the condition the puppies live in.  No more trusting peoples word over email and meeting people away from their home.

With HD being so common in the breed why not OFA?  Especially when you have 40+ dogs and breed 8, 10 or more litters a year and sell the pups for an average of $800 each.  You dont have the money, are you lazy or do you know your dogs have HD?

Remember anyone can contact me AT ANY TIME and I will forward you pictures of everything. I still have the Xrays and all the paperwork/receipts.  You can also contact any of the vets I listed previously to confirm.  If any of this was a lie why didnt Lori file contersuit for slander or libel??

There are pictures, videos and statements from other people.  Check Google, Facebook and youtube.

A few points not mentioned previously

AUTHOR: Apache''s Mom - (United States of America)

I am adding to my comment because I feel that it is important to point out a few more things to anyone considering purchasing one of these wonderful dogs.

Kaitlyn stated to Lori in an email that she wanted to return the dog but was concerned that he may need to be put down prior to meeting because of the severity of his weakened condition. In that same email she states that the pup was allowed to jump around and play with a new kitten. This is a bad move even in a healthy Dane puppy. Repeated impact on the hips and knees is a well known behavior that should be avoided. It is a contributing factor to HD and Crutiates disease.

Some tips that Kaitlyn should have followed as should ALL Dane puppy owners are:

1. No slippery surfaces where the dog regularly plays or runs. Place rubber backed area rugs or mats where the pup travels in your home if the floors are not carpeted.
2. No rough play with children. Especially allowing the child to sit on or manipulate the rear end.
3. Do not allow the pup to jump from elevated positions like furniture or stairs.
4. Do not bring another young animal into your home while the pup is developing unless you have endless time to babysit play behavior.
5. No rough play with other adult animals, especially adult Danes. This is because the pup will tend to rise up on his hind end to play with a much taller dog. Allow your Adult Dane to lay down for gentle play and socialization. But do not allow the pup to become dominant over the adult. They need to know their pack rank within your family.
6. Feeding your pup more than 23-24% protein diet or a diet imbalanced in calcium and phosphorous can lead to joint and bone isses. Consult a vet about the specific % of each in the food chosen.
7. Feed ALWAYS from an elevated food dish. That dish should be metal, not plastic or ceramic as the pup can agitate any acne (common in Dane pups) and raise risks of staph. You can purchase a food dish system that grows with your pup for around $60. The reason for this is prevention of gastric bloat. The pup should also not be played or exercized just after eating. This increases the risk.
8. Always provide a well padded sleeping area for your pup. You should press down on the padding with one hand on each side. You should not be able to feel your fingers on the other side. These are heavy dogs who place a lot of weight on their knees and elbows when lying down. Their sleeping area should take that into consideration. Martha Stewart makes a wonderful XL dog bed for around $150. You can also bolster their bed with a few squares of carpet underneath.
9. Crating is many times necessary for these pups. Housebreaking is not as much an issue (they are easy to train) as chewing when the pup is teething. These are large animals who can destroy your home in minutes and also cause themselves great harm by ingesting dangerously high quantities of household materials. Take precaution for both of you and crate train your pup. The crate must also grow with the pup. He should have enough room to stand and turn around comfortably but not have full run of the area. Purchase a large crate with a divider that can be moved as the pup grows or you will waste money on multiple crates. One of my dogs used his crate his whole life as a bed and comfort area. The other abandoned it once he was done teething. Each dog is different.
10. These are expensive animals to own. Purchase health insurance or open a small savings for future vet and care bills. Even a healthy Dane has higher cost than a regular or small dog. They are human sized and human cost. KNOW THAT before you take one into your home.

I hope this helps any people considering one of these animals. You should also choose a vet(if possible) who specializes or owns XL breed dogs. Use a veterinary office NOT a vet emergency hospital for regular care of your dog. Do your research on your vet and realize that the more varieties of animals they treat, the less specific knowledge will be applied to your unique pet. Vet medicine is very different from human. The are dealing with a patient who can't verbally communicate with them. This is a challenge. You must be honest with your vet about your dog's care and follow their advice or they can't accurately treat and diagnose the dog. Build a relationship with your vet. If they don't have time, find a new one. This may require driving quite a distance from home. It's just another cost to these animals. My regular vet is 45 minutes from my home. A vet hospital is only 10. My vet and my dog are worth the drive.

Kaitlyn has created several other websites about this issue with Southern Belle Danes. I have visited and read them. They are contradictory to her claims here. She has posted the x-rays at another site and they clearly state that his HD condition is mild and there is no sign of Crutiary ligament damage. That set of x-rays was done at Ohio University, not by her "vet who is a specialist".

Another site claims that another buyer called Lori about HD and Lori would not replace the pup. It also states that the dog DID NOT have HD, but an injury that was able to be repaired. Good thing Lori stood her ground there too.

Yet another site claims Kaitlyn's pup has Wobbler's Syndrome at 7 months of age. Here she states the dog is 4 months old and on death's door, yet the dog lives three more months and develops yet another disease with no proof and no updated vet records here.

NONE of these sites or postings have replies or comments negative or positive from anyone who has purchased from Lori.

It cost Kaitlyn $24 for worming her pup. She should have booster wormed that pup and any other dogs in her home for 4 months to prevent re-infestation. ALL puppies have worms and ALL puppies need to be monitored for months after birth. I also see that she had an outstanding balance at her vet's office. That visit with Thunder did not cost over $200, that balance was existing. There is also no mention in that bill of treating for staph.

She also states to Lori here that she knows this situation isn't Lori's fault but when Lori adheres to her contract, it suddenly becomes her fault and more accusations are leveled.

I hope that anyone reading this sees the impact of owning one of these animals. They are to be specially cared for and not purchased because they are big and your kid can ride them or make you feel impressive. They are family members. They are loving, brilliant animals who need loving care and protection. Best of luck to you and if you buy one of these guys, you will most likely never own another breed. They are special and wonderful.

I currently own a puppy from Southern Belle Danes

AUTHOR: Apache''s Mom - (United States of America)

I have read this complaint several times. I have applied my knowledge as a Great Dane owner and done some simple research. Here is my opinion and experience with Lori.

I purchased Apache from Lori at seven weeks of age. He is now approx. ten weeks old. I purchased Apache after finding Lori online. I spoke with her via phone and e-mail prior to purchase. She was professional and courteous. She informed me of the care and medical needs of a Great Dane despite me telling her that I already own an adult male and owned one male previously who sadly was put down just shy of his fifth birthday. She wanted to be sure that she conveyed the importance of health care and a nurturing home.

I met Lori halfway between our locations to pick up Apache. I instantly saw a bond between the puppy and Lori. He responded to her commands and was energetic and playful. He cried when I took him from her and continued to look for Lori. In my experience, this shows the socialization and bonding that is key to temperment establishment in young pups.

He appeared overall healthy with the exception of a little bump under his chin. I took him to my vet the following Monday and she tested him for worms and did a physical exam. He tested positive for worm eggs present in his stool. He also had a low grade staph infection on his chin. The causes for both were no need for concern. It was stated to me that many puppies who can have puppy acne will get an infection from play with his siblings or contact with fecal matter. Puppy acne is common in pups who are developing their immune system. The worms were not an "infestation" but simply eggs were detected. My vet advises systematic worming and boosters up to four months of age due to the difficulty in breaking the worm life cycle.

This is where I take the first issue with Kaitlyn's behavior. When my puppy was diagnosed with worm eggs, I also requested de-wormer for my adult Dane. It is expensive to treat a full grown Dane for the whole series of worms. I did it without hesitation. I, as a dog owner, know the reality of the ease of spread of worms and various viruses and bacteria. I am concerned that Kaitlyn did not mention a cost incurred for treating her existing dogs after her puppy was "infested" with worms. The cost would have been significant enough to mention.

I have done a fair amount of research on the existence of HD in Great Danes because it is a risk with these dogs. From my understanding, having an adult breeding dog rated and registered with OFA does not guarantee a puppy free from HD, it simply rates the hips and other areas of the body. This then decreases your chances of purchasing a dog with bad hips. Good hips in parents gives a better chance of good hips in the pups.

In regards to Crutiates disease, my knowledge is not that of a vet but I have asked my vet and done some research about the disease. I have not found it to be a proven genetic disease in itself. The rupture of the crutiate ligament is typically caused in young dogs by injury. There may be a link to a genetic predisposition. However, if you have a Great Dane, injury to ligaments is always a risk and something you must be VERY cautious of. Young children should not be allowed rough play with the puppy, nor should the pup have slippery surfaces or rough play with adult danes or other dogs. You MUST guard your puppy from these conditions. If you are unable to do so, don't buy a Great Dane. They are large dogs, but they are delicate. They need cautious care when growing and an owner who knows the reality of risk to their pup.

Now, in regard to the pup being diagnosed with HD at four months of age. According to my vet, that is rare. It must be severe or caused by another extenuating condition or injury. An injury to the knees can cause a displacement of the hips as well. She, of course, cannot give a firm answer not having seen the pup herself. She is simply going on cumulative experience. It is something that dog owners and vets use to care for and treat their animals.

I am going to give Kaitlyn the benefit of the doubt and say that her pup genetically inherited HD. That is worst case scenario. Here is the problem for me. I have the same contract. I knew the rules when I purchased Apache. Lori reserves the right to have the pup examined. It clearly states that no cash refunds will be given after 72 hours. HD cannot be diagnosed in that time period. Kaitlyn knew this. The pup was not taken to Lori for her vet to examine. A replacement pup was discussed and chosen. If the cost between the original pup is less than the cost of the "pick of the litter" replacement pup, then you owe the difference. You don't buy a Chevy and when the engine blows up you get a Mercedes. Umbilical hernias are common and easily repaired. It is a concern in a breeding female but should be of no concern in a male who had the surgery done.

Lori repeatedly requested the x-rays. This is NOT an unreasonable request when the pup also has Crutial ligament issues. A simple certified mailing requiring a signature would have closed that issue. Once Lori had proof that the hips were bad and NOT due to injury, Kaitlyn had the opportunity to return the pup and get a replacement. The fact that she chose a more expensive pup is not Lori's issue.

Kaitlyn clearly took issue with returning the pup who had lived with his family for several months. I understand that. I would hate to return a pup. That's why I never would. I will get to that later.

As I stated previously, I read this complaint many times. I am shocked that it never occurred to Kaitlyn before posting this on such a sleazy website that she should make clear copies of the x-rays and post them as a photo with her original complaint. I am not going to download a pdf file from Rip Off Reports. I see a photo of a puppy that appears to be injured. I also see a photo of a puppy laying on his back with a big belly. Mine looks the same after he falls asleep after a meal. Why do I NOT see a photo of his hip x-rays clearly visible and definitive? Maybe it was just too much effort. Just like taking the dog back or getting the vet statements and x-rays notorized. When you produce documents for court, you better know what they want as proof. The burden is on you, not Lori to prove your claim.

But again, I am giving Kaitlyn the benefit of the doubt. The problem with that is she has not provided proof of her claim in this complaint. If I were to go to this extent AND go to court, I would be sure to have all my facts clear and presentable. In my opinion, she has not done so. I also question someone who has run this woman's name through the mud yet admits to STILL wanting another pup from her even after taking her to court. If she was half as bad as Kaitlyn has painted her to be, I would NEVER want a second high risk puppy.

Lori's adult dogs were not OFA registered. Kaitlyn knew that. She is now at higher risk (maybe) of having a dog with HD. The reason Lori is willing to give a replacement pup in cases of HD is because it is not a high risk for her in her experience. Is that perfect breeding practice? No, it isn't. However, Kaitlyn's lack of understanding of her chosen breed makes her a much higher risk as a breeder. That combined with having three young children and a husband who works nights makes breeding a challenge. I have to be honest here and say that after what I have read, I would NEVER buy a pup from Kaitlyn. The health of my current pup will determine whether or not I buy from Lori again.

My puppy came to me well socialized, respectful of my adult Dane and in good health. He was not pristine but he was and is in good health. I have spoken with Lori and provided photos to her. She is always responsive and helpful.

Now for a personal explanation of my position here. I have big issues with Kaitlyn's behavior here. She purchased a dog. He isn't a sofa or a car. He isn't made by human hands. He is a living creature who she has agreed to take responsibility for. She is now to provide his care and well being. Sometimes, despite all of our best efforts, things go wrong in nature. Sometimes our animals are hurt or get sick simply because we looked away for just a minute. It happens to our pets and our children. I would no sooner return a dog for defects than i would want to return a child.

People feel like because they spend money on an animal that it is a consumer product. It is not. It is a living being. Unless you want a perfectly genetically engineered animal, you take the risk of health issues arising. They are now YOUR responsibility, not that of the breeder. The breeder's responsibility is to provide, to the best of their knowledge and ability, a dog that is in good shape at 6-8 weeks of age. 8 weeks is preferred. I believe that Lori has done that for me. OFA registry would be additionally helpful but still not a guarantee. For her protection, I hope she does that in the future. There are just as many scam puppy buyers as there are sellers.

Kaitlyn, if you can't afford the surgery how in the world will you afford breeding and showing of such an expensive breed?

My puppy is MY responsibility now. The costs that i will inevitably incur are mine, not Loris. If my puppy develops any genetic defects, I will notify Lori, send her the documentation and I will post them here. I will not return my pup nor will I request money or a replacement. I took what I knew of her and her dogs and I bought a new member of my family. He can't be replaced. I state that here, for the record.  I hate that people like Kaitlyn view their animals as purchased items. If you can't afford the worst case scenario, DON'T BUY ONE! If you want only the rich and elite to have pets, keep beating up breeders like Lori and not taking responsibility for your own actions or lack of. Then the extremely rich will be the only ones who can breed and buy dogs. Lori is NOT a puppy mill. There are some things she could do better, like OFA register her adults but remember THAT is not a guarantee. There never is a guarantee that the animal that you love will be perfect any more than there is a guarantee on your children.

I do not know how this situation played out in the end. I find it curious that Kaitlyn has not shown the final proof of her claim and her victory in court. But honestly, it would be irrelevant at this point. She has already shown enough of poor judgement while casting shame on another party for poor judgement.

My heart goes out to the pup who was the ONLY victim in this situation. Pay for his surgery, do everything you can to help him live a good life and when you no longer can, put him down. You did none of those things and yet blame Lori for her breeding practices and want to breed yourself. That is what this whole thing boils down to.

This site is a notoriously sleazy venue for the unbalanced and emotionally reactive people of this world to have a chance to spit and froth at the mouth. Do your homework. Meet with Lori, talk to her. Follow your instincts and don't assume that just because you see something in print that it is fact or hat this site IN ANY WAY fact checks their complaints. They do not. Lori may not be the breeder for you, but you might also miss out on a great new addition to your family given by a woman who truly cares about her babies. The decision is yours. Do your homework and weight the risks. The puppy you buy is YOUR responsibility now.

#5 General Comment

Totally Agree with the Buyer!

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United States of America)

First of all I would like to start out by saying that that is horrible to hear about the court hearing! Second of all if the other consumer would notice that there are two BIG differenced with these two breeders. One is willing to take responsibility and one is not. If you are a breeder (especially of a large dog breed like a great dane where HD is a more common health issue) you should be willing to take the responsibilty for all of your offspring. If you are a breeder things happen and they always will. It doesn't matter how much you love the breed things will always come up and things will always happen, but what you are willing to do in those situations is what makes "back yard breeders" and "reputable breeders." When you are a breeder you always have to be willing to deal with past buyers of your pups. As a breeder I would much rather someone return a pup to me and refund their money to them than do something to the dog or sell it to someone else without the best interest of the dog in mind. If you know that you bred a dog and you had a litter and then found out that a dog out of that litter had HD would you honestly not have them OFA certified that is just RETARDED on so many levels! Not to mention ignorant. If Southern Belle Danes doesn't have the money or the time to have the Stud OFA'd then they shouldn't have the time to breed him.

Why would you attack the buyer anyway, have your heard of one of her dogs having HD? Do you see her name on a Rip- off Report? That's funny I don't, it's probably because if someone has a problem she takes care of it. Oh and by the way I see on Southern Belle's website that they are a quality breeder that only has a few litters per year.  I would probably take that statement off asap because If so your few litters this year are already up unless you don't plan on breeding anymore this year? Come to think of it you had a few litters a few months ago too. How many is a few?

So basically what it all boils down to is you try to do that right thing you get screwed by the person trying to get out of doing the right thing. At least some knowledge was gained fromt this situation.

a little off topic :)

AUTHOR: Kaitlyn Campbell - (United States of America)

I appreciate your comments but I think you took what I have said differently than I meant.  I did not say she was a bad breeder because she didn't do health testing, I am considering her a bad breeder because the breeding of her 2 dogs produced a pup that was diagnosed with CHD at 4 months yet she continues to constantly breed both parents WITHOUT doing any OFA certification on either parents hips.  When you are knowingly producing CHD and not ensuring that either of the parents are free of CHD then I consider that person a Horrible breeder.  When you are studding out the sire of a CHD puppy without health testing you are a bad breeder.  I really dont think this is the place to bring up a whole conversation about back yard breeders since I know it will most likely become completely off topic.

When I contacted Lori about buying Thunder I had 2 other danes that I had as pets and had not yet had any puppies.  I had just considered breeding and was very interested in showing.  He was the first male I had purchased and the first with the intentions of breeding/show.  I have done a lot of research about the breed since then.  I had one litter after buying him and have a litter on the ground now so have only had 2 litters.  I absolutely loved my females temperament and had several friends who were interested in puppies so bred her and had my first litter.  I thought about raising danes since I always wanted to show/breed dogs and I fell in love with my girl.  She was an all around great dog, of course I didn't know much about conformation but I have learned a lot more now.  We had our first litter and I fell in love.  I love my puppies and dogs and spend a lot of money on their care.  I have taken many of my dogs to specialists for the best care and spend much more on my animals then myself.  I have bloodwork done to check CDC, Thyroid, and anything else the vet thinks is helpful to make sure they are healthy.  I started out with more pet quality danes and have since brought in better quality dogs since I am trying to show/breed, I have 3 danes that are NOT breed quality so are just here as our pets and will never be bred.  I have learned a lot about conformation and pedigrees.  I don't know of ANY breeders that start out with great bloodlines and perfectly built dogs.  I started out buying a Dane because we wanted a big dog as a pet for the family and heard they were wonderful and had the best temperaments.  Not because I was thinking I want to buy a Dane to breed!

I honestly trusted Lori about his conformation and such.  She told me she has been breeding for years and competes in AKC shows and I assumed she knew what she was talking about.  She told me she would only hold him for 1 week so I would have time to mail the deposit and they would sell fast.  When he was a few weeks old and I was told by a friend that he was not show marked I questioned her about it and she told me he was a little heavy marked but his conformation would make up for his heavy markings.  She stated she sees many different marked harls in the show ring and with his conformation judges would overlook his markings.  I admit I was ignorant and listened to her without doing research.  She was always very nice and helpful, answering any questions.  I just felt comfortable that she was truthful and trustworthy.  I really thought she was someone that would help me learn about the breed and sort of take me under her wing...  Needless to say I was horribly wrong.

I have done and will do more health testing on my dogs because it is my choice after what we have gone through.  I don't want another family to have to watch their dog suffer and eventually have to put him to sleep.  Not everyone does ANY health testing which is their choice and their right, not smart at all in my opinion but my opinion doesn't matter when its not my dogs.  I really understand what I've heard some breeders say, that health testing is no guarantee that even breeding 2 dogs with good hips wont produce CHD since it can come from somewhere back in the bloodline.  BUT the more heath testing is done to weed out any issues the less any will be produced :)

The sire to my current litter is OFA certified and the dame has had her hips and elbows X-rayed and I had recently had my vet send them into OFA and am still waiting for their rating.  I have only thought about thyroid and cardiac but honestly haven't considered eyes...  I consider my vet capable of detecting eye problems.  I never thought of putting any OFA information onto my website since I have been working on a new one and honestly don't keep the current one updated much.  I am lucky to put puppy pictures on it and if anyone wanted to inquire about puppies I can tell them.  All of my puppies, including the first litter, are sold on a strict contract with a guarantee.  I have kept in contact with the buyers and would quickly give a replacement or refund a buyers money if this situation happened to one of my dogs.  The only breeding dane that I even have is the one who currently has a litter on the ground.  My other dogs are either rescues, pets, or too young to have any OFA certifications.  I also plan to do preliminary testing on my other dogs after dealing with this whole situation with Lori.  I dont think this is the place to ask questions about a my dogs and breedings since this report is about a completely different situation, if someone wants to ask me anything then please email me.

But I really want to stress that I am the most upset with Lori because she is continuing to breed the parents and also stud out the male KNOWING their breeding produced a puppy that was diagnosed with CHD at 4 MONTHS!  She also knew, since we called her and told her after the vet appointment with 72 hours, that he had trouble walking and the vet was already concerned it was CHD.  Yet she has done nothing to ensure neither parent has symptoms of CHD or any of his other genetic issues.  Without testing the parents she has no clue if one of them could have CHD and be producing it.  She could be producing more puppies with CHD from her breedings and doesn't seem to care that those puppies would most likely have to live a short painful life and the families that suffer watching them fall apart.

I want to mention we did go to court on 3/17/2011.  I didn't realize that the vet statements (that are on the letterhead) had to be notarized so they were not accepted by the judge.  Because Loris lawyer objected.  It is completely my fault and I WILL GET notarized statements and appeal the ruling and hire a lawyer that is licensed for the state NC.  Even though the judge would not see the statements I did hand them to Lori while in court for her to read which she did.  All 3 were very clear, that he was diagnosed with CHD from both physical exams and X-rays.  If Lori is so willing to take him back and work with us why didn't she after seeing the vet statements?  The vets at Ohio State University also listed their phone numbers and said she can call with any questions.  Why doesn't she call and talk to them if she doesn't believe me??  We had the dog and she could have taken him back but never mentioned anything, just rushed from the courtroom.  I also said in court that I would take a puppy back instead of the money, she just laughed when I said so.  Even now I would take a different puppy just to be done with her and so Thunder could be out of his misery.  Either way he will probably be put to sleep soon but I really think she should be the one that has to do so.  She also made a statement in court that it is her "experience" that a Dane under 1 year cannot have CHD.  I wonder how much experience she has with it....

question....

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United States of America)

Not that my opinion means squat, but I beleive the breeder has a responsiblity, not just to the buyer, but to the puppy that SHE brought into this world by purposely breeding those dogs (please, dont get me started on the harl male to a blue bitch....Great Dane Club of America Breeder color code of ethics evidently wasnt taken into consideration when that breeding was planned). He nor any of his litter mates asked to be born and if he had, Im sure he would have requested to be born from OFA'd parents so he would have a better chance at a normal life.

BUT, that being said, you yourself are a breeder, so you should have known better than to:

A) put a deposit on any claimed show prospect puppy at 1 week of age (who can tell at a week that a puppy is show quality, other than the color being acceptable and correct; certainly you cannot tell conformation at that age)? and

B) purchase a puppy from non health tested parents?

I could understand someone being misled had they been a novice, buying thier first dane, but after a little internet research, Im suprised that you made those mistakes. You own many Danes currently, and you have a litter on the ground yourself. I beleive, this is your 3rd litter of danes and of course, your dam and sire are OFA'd too, correct? Or, are they too young to be OFA'd? If that is the case, why breed them ? GDCofA breeder code of ethics states no dog/bitch under the age of 2 should be bred, so if one or both are, I can assume you, as a breeder who claims to be in this for the love and betterment of the beed, dont subscribe the GDCofA's way of thinking???? If you are really in this to better the breed and NOT put other owners through what you are currently going through with your boy, one would think that you would be all about the testing (OFA Hips, cadio, throid, eyes, etc) but I dont see any mention of the testing or the results of such testing on your website.

I really do feel badly for you personally, no one should have to deal with a sick puppy and I hope that the breeder eventually does the right thing by the puppy BUT at the same token, I hope that you arent a "pets for profit" breeder who was one upped by a more experienced backyard breeder than yourself so you decided to fight your battle in the public forum known as rip off report.

AUTHOR: Kaitlyn Campbell - (United States of America)

I just wanted to say thank you for commenting on this, maybe you will help the "breeder" realize what she is doing wrong.  She is more worried about getting a second vet visit on this pup then getting the parents hips OFA.  It doesnt seem to matter to her that her "breeding dogs" are producing a pup with HD.  She doesnt seem to care that he is going to have to be put to sleep at a young age because of issues that her bloodlines caused.

Who cares that he is in pain, if this lawsuit werent happening I probably would have already put him to sleep rather than watch him suffer and get worse as time goes on.  Why should he have to be on painkillers the rest of his short life.  Why should my kids have to know he is not giong to get better...  Lori who "loves the breed" doesnt show much love for this pup.  If she truly "loves the breed" why did she say it wasnt fair to her when I asked if we could have Thunder back in the future and get the surgery if we have the extra money?  Who cares what is fair to her when a dogs life is in the middle...  How is it not fair to us to go through watching thunder fall apart, knowing its most likely we will not have the money to get him surgery?  I could care less what is fair to some "breeder"  I care what is fair to thunder.  I did say I wanted to keep him when I though she had his best interest in mind.  I dont think it is "fair" that thunder have to live with a stranger his last few months.  He should spend his time with the family he knows and loves.  Lori has no attachment to him, she could odviously care less!  I want the person who takes him to be put to sleep to make the whole thing easier on him, not stress him out because he doesnt know them....  Shouldnt it matter that he wants to be with his family?  Lori would you like me taking one of your dogs to be put to sleep?  I doubt it.  I dont want to put him to sleep but if it has to be done then I think my husband should be allowed to take him and be there with him as he passes...  Is that so much to ask!  And what if we did have the money and could get him surgery, well thats not "fair" to Lori so she wouldnt give him back so he would just have to be put to sleep.

I also want to mention that before Lori backed out of taking thunder back and getting a replacement pup she wrote me an email telling me to remember to bring his registration papers.  I am really wondering why she wanted his registration papers, would she try to resell him knowing he has HD?  Would she breed him??  Why would his papers matter??  The pup still has HD and you are just using every excuse possible to avoid making it right!  Shame on you!  What you are doing is horrible!  Get your dogs hips certified then maybe you can save your reputation!  That is the first thing you should have done when I told you the vet thought he had HD at 7 weeks old!  You should have done it before.  What is wrong with you!  Your breeding produced a pup with HD and you dont seem to worry about that, you just worry about how I am fair to you.

Thanks again for comments, maybe the "breeder" will realize what she is doing wrong when there are people commenting that have nothing to do with either of us...

#9 General Comment

I'm not sure why the vet exam is the main issue to the Breeder.

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United States of America)

Here again I am wondering why the vet exam is the main issue to the Breeder. The buyer has proven that he has HD so what are you going to do about it now! I'm thinking the breeder is
using the vet exam as her way to get out of paying back the money when she should be
looking for a way to solve this problem which would be give  the buyer back her money and put
the poor thing to sleep! He is in pain and misery and probably hurts all the time my god this
shouldn't be about how much money you are going to loose it should be about being a
reputable breeder which is not the case anymore. If you are breeding for a living and for the
money you shouldn't be a breeder in the first place.  It is for the love of the breed and for the
animal; is that really what you are showing at this point "a love for thunder" a dog that is in
pain all for what? You said the buyer is trying to "ruin your reputation" I think you already did
that when you didn't take the dog back and give her her money back. As for the issue I said
earlier HAVE THE DOGS BEEN OFA CERTIFIED?

Have you proven that this sire doesn't have HD by OFA certification because if not that shows
a lot about your "love for the breed." It just kills me that this law suit is based on "how can I
get out of this mess" and not "how can I solve this and make the buyer happy." I bet she
would be happy if she didn't have a dog with HD!

I'm really not trying to take sides and I have read both sides of the story and after reading and
reading I just feel so bad for this pup.  I think the breeder does have a way to improve her
rep, just fix the problem.  Go to WV get the dog and give the buyer her money back. Would
that really be that hard? Then take the poor animal to the vet and let him be free of pain, and
for goodness sake get the sire OFA certified and if he does have HD get him neutered and
don't continue to breed him!!!!

I had bought a pup before and then later when receiving his papers back found out his sire
was inbred!! I immedaitely called the breeder and you know what she did.  She didn't fight
with me she said she was sorry and she didn't own the male and had no clue and she told
me to bring him back and she refunded my money (all of it.) I would never breed a dog that
has something like that in his background there for I did the responsible thing as a breeder.
The breeder also did the "reputable thing" by refunding  my money because I was disastified.

Please Southern Belle Danes if you love this breed please do the reponsible thing and get your
dogs OFA certified.

Breeder yet again doesnt see the facts

AUTHOR: Kaitlyn Campbell - (United States of America)

I wanted to save the OSU information for the lawsuit but since she has put the lawsuit off for over a month I would like to put the info on here for people to see.

I have taken the puppy to 3 veterinarian offices and 5 vets and all have diagnosed him as having Canine Hip Dysplasia.  I have statements from all 3 offices.

Dr McNeel at Cross Lanes Vet Hospital here in WV
Dr Crank and Dr Kirkpatrick at Crank Animal Hospital here in WV
Dr Dyce and Dr Mercurio at Ohio State University in OH

Dr Dyce , who has a diploma in Orthopaedics http://vet.osu.edu/dyce-jonathan

Dr Mercurio DVM  http://vet.osu.edu/clinical-sciences/mercurio-dr-andrew

Both diagnosed him as having CHD and they also noted in the statement for the court several other genetic issues, wobblers, hind limb ataxia and more.  Considering OSU is one of the best veterinary hospitals in the US I dont see how a breeder can say the pup doesnt have HD when a total of 4 vets say he does.  Our contract does NOT state she must be given the dog back or that her vet must give a second opinion.  I have gotten a second, third and fourth opinion.

I did not fail to appear on the court date, which is another lie.  I called the court before the date and they granted me an extension because there was a huge snow storm that hit the whole area and I couldnt make the almost 6 hour drive in my van.  The court case was rescheduled for 2 weeks from then and Lori fails to mention that she asked for a continuance and rescheduled the date until March.

I dont want to keep thunder and have told her that many times.  I dont want to have to put him to sleep since I cannot put that amount of money into his surgeries.

I would like to know how her "lawyer" says I am in breach of contract when I have done everything to a T!  At the time she was supposibly going to replace our pup he had been to both the vets in WV so there are 2 vets statements that he has HD and yet she still did nothing to fix the situation.  She doesnt want to hold up to her end of the contract and has made that very clear.  If she was so sure she did nothing wrong then why did she hire a lawyer?

And it is quite funny that she also fails to mention she is STILL breeding thunders sire!  She also must have forgotten her lies, I didnt get the pick of litter when she was going to replace him (before SHE backed out)  I wanted a fawn female, she said she didnt have any fawn females yet I have pictures of the fawn female from that litter that she is keeping.  How is that my pick of the litter.  And she didnt tell me the pup I "picked" had a hernia!  Talk about some quality pups.  First has several genetic issues, second is the pick of the litter and has a hernia!  Nice!

#11 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Buyer Unwilling to allow seller to have a vet exam

AUTHOR: Lori - (United States of America)

I have tried to work with buyer over a period of months.  She refuses to allow me to have a second opinon on this pup.  she has chosen to take me to court but failed to appear on the scheduled date.  Buyer, under my health guarantee, has obligations she has not fulfilled.  I make sure that all buyers have had an opportunity to review my guarantee prior to purchase.  My attorney has told me that she is in breach of contract.  Despite this I tried to work things out.  She is apparently wanting to keep the pup and ruin my reputation without my having an opportunity to rectify the situation if it is genetic.  He vet, who is not a specialist, is one opinion. I have not had the opportunity for a second opinion.

#12 General Comment

I think the seller isn't understanding her own contract.

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United States of America)

I do not know either parties personally but have been reading up on this story.  I'm not sure why the seller thinks the buyer has to provide her with xrays. It clearly says in the contract that the buyer has to provide "Proof" not xrays. I also am not quite understanding why the seller is giving her a replacement puppy. After reading the contract it says of any of the health issues arise after 72 hours no cash refund would apply.

Techinically speaking the health issue arrised at birth so shouldn't the Buyer get a full refund?  I mean if she would like a replacement pup I think that is her decision but she should also have the option of a full refund. Also the buyer DID agree to meet you at a set
date and time which you cancelled so shouldn't it now be the sellers responsibilty to find a way to retrieve the pup?  If you are not going to stand by your contract why sell the dog with one in the first place?

I also believe that breeding a dog with any questionable doubt that the "could" have hip displaysia is pretty much animal abuse.  You are subjected more and more dogs to having a genetic diesese that will put them through extensive pain and suffering. I am wondering
if the seller's dogs are all OFA certified and if not why would you health guarentee them for hip displaysia? If you have on your contract too that the buyer has to let you have a second opinion by a vet of your choosing shouldn't it be your responsibilty to take that
animal to the vet? I don't understand why if the buyer was willing to meet you and then you backed out why the buyer should have to use his/her gas money to meet you at this point.

As a breeder myself I would like to say that the animal should always be put first. If the buyer is willing to help this animal out I don't understand why someone that lovesdogs so much would not want to work something out for the best interest of the dog.

#13 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Again, BUYER is not accurately reflecting the situation

AUTHOR: Lori - (United States of America)

I won't ask you to read alot here. I just want an opportunity to explain my situation with this buyer. Yes, she is taking me to court. My lawyer states that she has not fulfilled her side of the contract. If she would return the pup, provide me with medical records so that I can get a second opinion I would be glad to replace the pup. My vets review the letter from her vet and felt that the pup was too young for this diagnosis. They need to examine the pup and his xrays. She will not provide them for me. I will be taking a letter with me to court from my vet stating that I have never had a case of hip dysplasia or other congenital issues. I understand the buyer frustration but just wish she would provide me with the pup and his records so that I can have the second opinion and replace her pup. I would also like to add that the buyer has made many FALSE statements. Her vet is NOT A SPECIALIST. He is just a DVM. My facilities for the puppies is clean, heated, airconditioned and the dogs have a minimun of 3 layers of carpet. I have had other breeders comment that they wish they had such a nice facility. These are just 2 of her false statements. There are others.

Thanks for reading this. Once I have been to court I will repost the results.

HAVE Proof of everything - she lies - posting proof below!!

AUTHOR: Kaitlyn Campbell - (United States of America)

PLEASE read the emails pasted below. Sorry they arent in order but It is odvious we were working with her!

I scanned the vet statements and emailed them to her as she asked. She then complained she couldnt "read" the statements and we agreed I bring them when we meet with the replacement pup. I will try to post those on here also but Im not sure if I can add more pics now. The Xrays were done by an orthopedic specialist. His name is Dr. Ncneel in Cross Lanes, WV at cross lanes veterinary hospital. Their number is 304-776-4501, feel free to call them or see their website http://crosslanesvet.com/site/view/110981_OurDoctors.pml He is one of the best in this area and that is why we went to him. Our contract says nothing about providing her with Xrays and I was trying to be nice and agreed to mail them to her. Our contract also states nothing about returning him, it says we must provide proof of spay/neuter. What "dog lover" would take a crippled dog from the family he has known since he was 7 weeks old! She doesnt worry about how that would be for him! We were meeting the 2nd of January and the vet was closed the friday and saturday before so I couldnt get them before we met. If she was SO worried about the Xrays she could have paid her vet to do them and still met us or just waited until I could mail them the next day! She was just trying to find an excuse not to meet us. Thunder has been to 2 vets who both have nowconfirmed the HD. My regular vet and a specialist. Her contract doesnt say it has to be her vet or a vet of her choosing. I will also try to post that.

How were the parents repeatedly examined? She has not had eithers hips OFA certified so either they were "examined" by her vet and didnt have good enough hips to pass so she didnt send them in or she just hasnt spent the money to get the Xrays. I think it very funny that she told me we couldnt get a diagnosis of Hip Dysplasia (on a crippled dog!) without Xrays so how can she say her danes hips are good without Xrays. Yet again another lie. She told me the dogs passed "hand manipulation" of their hips by her vet?? What kind of vet is this? Hand manipulation means nothing!

The pup we were getting as a replacement was my pick of the litter. That is because she NEVER told me he had a hernia until AFTER the other pups were told. I will post that email below and you can see by the date that is a lie also. She also states in an email that "His hynia was not bad. Nothing that needed to be fixed but I was trying to provide you with the best pup I could." What kind of loving breeder says that?? I can email that also and will post it below. She also says her vet questioned her getting it fixed?? What kind of vet would say that??? She also cant keep her puppies straight after choosing one she emailed and said she had sent the wrong pics of the wrong pup so got the amount of white on them wrong. That email is below also.

I also have a copy of the email from the night before we were supposed to meet. We were giving her Thunder and getting a replacement pup and $200. I told her I was really considering the knee surgery and if I did want to do it could we have Thunder back to get it done. SHE SAID IT WASNT FAIR TO HER IF SHE GAVE HIM BACK!! What dog "lover" would say surgery to prolong a dogs life wasnt fair to them and wants someone to PAY for the replacement pup??? Ill copy that below also. I will also copy and paste the email where I sent Lori those exact pictures, she is lying again. When I told her I was having heart surgery and was worried about who would take care of him she wasnt "worried" enough to have to make two trips, she was worried about spending the gas two trips would take.

After reading all this do you trust this woman is a "dog lover" If you do then there is something wrong. Please if anyone is believing her I will email copies of all my vet statement, emails and the copy of the contract. Please dont hesitate to contact me if I cannot get them to upload on here and you would like to see them.You can copy my email from the emails below.

Kaitlyn Campbell

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:20:37 -0700
From: southernbelledanes@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: thunder
To: campbellswv@live.com

Katie,

I am sorry to hear that diagnosis. I did not mean that he had an injury only that you can't confirm hip dysplasia without xrays. Since you are going to keep him I will offer a partial refund. When I receive the letter for the Vet on Thunder and proof of his neuter I will send that out. The pup I had offered you as an exchange is from a totally different bloodlines but I understand if you are not interested. I will have both LIttly and Huck OFA'ed later this year before I use him again as a stud or before I breed her again. Thunder is the first pup in 150 that has had this diagnosis. I didn't raise his parents but they were cleared on an manipulating exam of any hip problems.

Lori

From:
Lori Vincent (southernbelledanes@yahoo.com)
Sent: Sat 12/18/10 4:34 AM
To: Kaitlyn Campbell (campbellswv@live.com)

I'll see the other people this weekend as they are coming to visit their pups. I'll let you know as soon as I know. So far I have 4 trips scheduled between Christmas and New Years. Lion has an embilical (spelling ??) hernia that I will have repaired this week. No biggie but looks like an outtie. On males it usually isn't an issue but I figured you would want it fixed.

Lori

From: Kaitlyn Campbell (campbellswv@live.com)
Sent: Fri 11/19/10 5:11 PM
To: lori vincent (southernbelledanes@yahoo.com)

Hotmail Active View

1 attachment (29.8 KB)

Download Untitled.pdf (29.8 KB)

Untitled.pdf

Download(29.8 KB)

#15 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Buyer MISREPRESENTING situation

AUTHOR: Lori - (United States of America)

My name is Lori. I would like to take this opportunity to explain the situation. I am not allowed to try to work this out with Katie as she has said if I contact her she will file harassment charges against me. Please take the time to read this and visit my website before making any decisions concerning me or my dogs. www.southernbelledanes.com

Over the years I have sold over 150 pups. This is the first problem that anyone has told me about. I have a health guarantee. You will find it on my website. I have offered, in fact had a pup set aside for Katie to replace this pup. It was her pic of the litter. My health guarantee requires that the buyer provide me with vet statements. In addition I requested the pups xrays. Katie, repeatedly, stated she would get them for me. My health guarantee also gives me the right to have the pup examined by a second vet before the exchange. I choose to wave that for her, trying to satisfy her. I even agreed to meet her halfway to exchange pups. She has not fulfilled her obligations under the contract to receive a pup in exchange.

I love Great Danes and all of my dogs. I have had all of my dogs examined by my vet. If they are of breeding age they are checked and approved as being healthy to breed. All of my dogs go to the vet for all shots, etc. Katie provided me with a statement from her vet, he is NOT a specialist. My vet reviewed this statement. He stated that the pup was very young for this diagnosis to be made. He stated that for this pup tohave this at this agewould berare . It is genetic but as both parents have been repeatedly examined he didn't feel this would happen again. He would need to examine the xrays, the medical records and the pup to give a confirmation of the diagnosis. That is why I asked for the xrays. Katie promised them but refused to give them to me. The pictures she posted are the first I have seen of him since 2 days after she got him.

Every pup that I have gets wormed at 2 weeks, at 4 weeks and at 6 weeks. The 6 week worming is done by the vet when they go in for their shots and full vet exam. I do not sell any pup that the vets question their health. Should this happen I would return all money received. The other pup she talks about had a skin infection. I took her for a second vet visit to have it checked. I called the new owner and told her that my vet felt that with antibiotics this would clear up. I offered to keep the pup for the extra time to be sure everything was cleared up. The owner stated that she could give her the antibiotics. I love my dogs but I am not a vet. I must rely on their knowledge. My vets will and have recommended me as an honest, carefull breeder who takes great care of her dogs.

Please consider my statement and visit my website before making a decision about me and my dogs. You are welcome to come visit, to send me an email or to call me. southernbelledanes@yahoo.com or 704-418-1441