Complaint Review: Southern New Hampshire University

• Submitted: Thu, January 17, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, February 06, 2013

• Reported By: Justice — San Diego California U.S.A.
Southern New Hampshire University
2500 North River Road Manchester, New Hampshire United States of America

Southern New Hampshire University SNHU Hold on transcript, unfair financial aid practices, FAFSA, Federal Student Aid, Department of Education, Sallie Mae, student loans Manchester , New Hampshire

*Author of original report: UPDATE: Hold back on SNHU transcript.

*Consumer Comment: When aid was filed

*Author of original report: Clarification of "day the new term opened"

*Consumer Comment: comment

When I applied to college I had dreams of earning a degree and someday working in my field of choice. The fact that I was unemployed without the funds to attend college did not stop me from wanting to go. I applied financial aid and start working on accomplishing my dream.

When it was time to apply for aid again I applied  the day the new term opened. However, the aid had to be verified and the college dropped the ball on verifying it. I was issued a bill. I withdrew from the university due to their inability to complete my financial aid in a timely manner and their ambiguous course.  I tried to transfer to another university I found out they placed a hold on my transcript. The university informed me that I could not return there or transfer to another university until I pay them. They held my transcript hostage.

It has been six months since this happened, and my student loans are coming due, because I am not in school.  I do not see how any college can hold transcripts on an unearned degree and the government still expects you to pay the university that is not allowing you to complete your education.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/17/2013 04:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Southern-New-Hampshire-University/Manchester-New-Hampshire-03106/Southern-New-Hampshire-University-SNHU-Hold-on-transcript-unfair-financial-aid-practices-998747. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Southern New Hampshire University

UPDATE: Hold back on SNHU transcript.

AUTHOR: Justice - ()

I just received a letter from a university I applied to stating, “They are unable to request a transcript from Southern New Hampshire University, because there is a hold on the account.” I purchased a transcript on 10/01/2013 for another university; now there is a hold on it again. I would like to know what happen between then and now preventing them from sending my transcript. This university has been one big headache. I hope no one else ever have to endure what I have with them. Please choose your university wisely.

When aid was filed

AUTHOR: irascible - (United States of America)

Actually it does not matter to SNHU how long he/she waited to file for aid. I am a current online student with SNHU and every 8 week course this outsourced company they use, onestop, has held on to my aid for 4 weeks, of an 8 week course.

They just did it again and this time my aid will not get to me until the end of the 8 week course. that means no text books or nothing for an entire course and they expect me to complete the course? Hah

Clarification of "day the new term opened"

AUTHOR: Justice - (U.S.A.)

Jeansk, I was enrolled in my fourth term when this happened, on financial aid for the first three terms . I am referring to the opening date to reapply for new financial aid, which opened in the beginning of my second term.  Southern New Hampshire had ample enough time to verify my aid.

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

It is standard practice at every university to "hold the transcript hostage" until the bill is paid.  This isn't happening just t your school.

You said that you applied for aid the day of the next term. Why did you wait so long?  Had you applied earlier, your financial aid would have been in place when you started.  But if they dropped the ball at some other point you might appeal their decision to not let you re-enroll.