Complaint Review: Southwest Airlines

• Submitted: Fri, November 21, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, June 21, 2009

• Reported By:Fayetteville North Carolina
Southwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines Refunds Department / P.O. Box 36649 / Dallas, TX 75235-1649 Dallas, Texas U.S.A.

Southwest Airlines Would not refund money on tickets, said they were "non-refundable" even though it does not disclose this about their tickets anywhere on their site prior to purchase. Dallas Texas

*Consumer Comment: Learn to read

*Consumer Suggestion: You are Right

I recently purchased tickets online through Southwest Airlines for family to fly in for the holidays. A few days after my purchase some unforeseen circumstances came up with my family so I had to cancel their flight / tickets. When I went to cancel the flight I noticed it said my tickets were non-refundable even though when I originally purchased the tickets this was not disclosed anywhere on their site. I have gone to numerous pages to see if there might have been something I missed but the only disclaimer I saw on refunding tickets was on their "Travel Tools" / "Refund Request" page.

Even after I read their disclaimer it was extremely vague stating that "1Not all reservations are refundable. Depending on the type of fare you purchased, you may not be eligible for a refund." That's it, that's all it says!!!! Nothing stating which ones are refundable and which ones aren't. That's pretty shady if you ask me... This obviously doesn't give customers a chance to protect themselves against choosing the "Wrong Tickets" especially since when looking at purchasing tickets online there are no warnings of any sort.

I went back and went through all of the steps of buying another ticket just shy of actually purchasing it to see if there might have been any pre-warning information I might have missed prior to hitting the purchase button and what a shock, there wasn't.

So apparently Southwest Airlines makes a business off of unsuspecting customers and luring them to their low prices and locking their money away so they can't get a refund and the company keeps their profit. No wonder they keep doing better and better each quarter in overall profits!!! I am sure I am not the only victim of this corporate vampire and I am hoping more people speak out against Southwest Airlines and maybe there might be some justice brought against them by someway , somehow...

Glenn
Fayetteville, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/21/2008 06:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Southwest-Airlines/Dallas-Texas-75235-1649/Southwest-Airlines-Would-not-refund-money-on-tickets-said-they-were-non-refundable-even-393556. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Southwest Airlines

Learn to read

AUTHOR: Vaporize - (U.S.A.)

It does disclose weather or not the fare is refundable. Internet fares are NEVER refundable go back to school and learn to read!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

You are Right

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

The only way that you could tell whether or not a fare is refundable would be to click on the fare type that you have chosen to see its "rules". Southwest however charges nothing to change flights and you have a year from the time you bought the ticket to use the amount of the ticket to go someplace even if it is to a different destination. Try doing that for nothing on American or any of the major airlines! Southwest is -believe me - the best airline in the USA and definately -by $100 or more - the best place to change or cancel a ticket.