Complaint Review: Soutwest Airlines, SWA, IFLYSWA, Southwest Airlines

• Updated: Mon, August 17, 2009

• Reported By: Michael — Modesto California USA
Soutwest Airlines, SWA, IFLYSWA, Southwest Airlines
southwest.com Internet United States of America

Soutwest Airlines, SWA, IFLYSWA, Southwest Airlines Extorted money for a second ticket after my travel had begun about 900 miles from home on my first layover Modesto, California

* : Policies

I booked my travel to Buffalo New York from San Jose California on 05/22/09 at a decent rate with one layover in each direction, layover in Las Vegas. After my son & wife were already on board I was pulled aside , my laptop checked not by TSA agents but by Southwest employees & than I was told I would need to buy an extra seat. I asked them what their guidelines were & they said there were no guidelines & she  would play the role of " the decider ", its all in the disclosure on their web site . I am 5'9" tall & weigh 325 lbs.  My wife my son & I all were very comfortable sitting in 3 seats. When we arrived in Buffalo, "  I was told that if I could sit in a seat with the arm down, she would change the ruling " after I agreed and performed  what was asked she than changed the offer & quoted " saftey " as the reason.  I paid for an extra seat as I had to get back home. I had to choose between my son or my wife to sit next to me & a full empty seat was avalable but they refused to use it for no other purpose than to extort money from me. The real reason is $$$. Beware people Southwest Airlines is going to extort money from people if on a whim they think you`re too fat to fly.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/17/2009 11:16 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Soutwest-Airlines-SWA-IFLYSWA-Southwest-Airlines/internet/Soutwest-Airlines-SWA-IFLYSWA-Southwest-Airlines-Extorted-money-for-a-second-ticket-af-481081. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Soutwest Airlines, SWA, IFLYSWA, Southwest Airlines

#1

Policies

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

What is the definitive gauge for a Customer of size?
The armrest is the definitive gauge, as it serves as the boundary between seats. Customers who are unable to lower the armrests (the definitive boundary between seats) and/or who compromise any portion of adjacent seating should proactively book the number of seats needed during initial reservations.

Were you over the boundary at all?

Im large but can be seated with the armrests down. Arent your Employees wrong to question me?
If a concern exists, we shouldnt ignore it even if its difficult for both parties to discuss. Condoning an unsafe, cramped seating arrangement onboard our aircraft is far more inappropriate than simply questioning a Customers fit in our seats.

This policy shows they reserve the right to charge in an unsafe condition.

Why can't a large Customer sit with a family member who doesn't mind being encroached upon or a small child/person who doesn't take a full seat?
Open seating cannot guarantee that two people will be able to sit together. In addition, we must treat the smaller person (despite willingness or personal relationship) as a valued Customer who deserves the use of a full seat. Most importantly, we have to consider the safety aspect of the family member whose movement (especially in the event of an emergency) could be compromised if encroached on by a large seatmate.