Complaint Review: Sovereign Bank

• Submitted: Mon, May 05, 2003
  • Updated: Wed, January 09, 2008

• Reported By:Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Sovereign Bank
sovereignbank.com Philadelphia, Pennsylvania U.S.A.
  • Phone: 215-224-3200
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Sovereign Bank Illegal and careless practices ripped me off for $200 Philadelphia Pennsylvania and Nationwide

*Consumer Suggestion: THIS IS HOW TO FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST THIS BANK. DO IT

In Septemeber of 2002, while I was vacationing in Puerto Rico with my boyfriend, I decided too check my accounts using a my laptop that I took on our vacation. I went on to sovereignbank.com and checked my checking then my savings account. I was in shock to find that my Savings account was $200 short! There are no Sovereign Banks in Puerto Rico and the money was taken out while I was down there.

I immediatly called a family member that works for the company and asked what was the deal? She couldn't quite figure out what was going on so she said she'd call me back as soon as she found out something. I got a call back and what had seemed to have happened was that someone went into a bank and used my account number (or maybe the teller punched in the wrong numbers) and handed over $200 of MY money to this person!!! I was livid! I told them that they had to fix this problem ASAP!

My relative told me that they could no longer credit these types of mistakes at the local branches anymore, especially for that amount of money, and that it had to go to Corporate.

That was 8 months ago! I call my relative almost everyday that she works to ask her about the situation and about my money when will I have it back? She can't give me an answer. I don't blame her, because I know it isn't her fault, but the damn teller that took the money out of my account and gave it to this other person (who got $200 for free!) was not careful enough to compare names on accounts and ID's! I haven't closed that account yet because I am still waiting for my money. But since I know don't have a minimum of $100 in that account ( I refuse to put my money back in there) they are charging me monthly fees!!! I want my $200 back! Someone please help!!!!!

Melissa
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/05/2003 10:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sovereign-Bank/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-19120/Sovereign-Bank-Illegal-and-careless-practices-ripped-me-off-for-200-Philadelphia-Pennsylv-55693. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sovereign Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

THIS IS HOW TO FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST THIS BANK. DO IT

AUTHOR: Bostonian - (U.S.A.)

If anyone is having ANY problems with Soveriegn Bank and need to file a complaint against them please do so. They state that there is no place to file a complaint but there is. Massachusetts does not have jurisdiction over this crooked banking institution so they forward your complaints to the right people. I am submitting that information in this post for all who need it.

Office of Thrift Supervision

Harborside Financial Center
Plaza Five, Suite 1600
Jersey City, NJ 07311

Fax# 201-413-7541

The fax number is for written signed complaints.

Good Luck