Complaint Review: Sovereign Bank

• Submitted: Tue, January 27, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, January 27, 2009

• Reported By:Glen Allen Virginia
Sovereign Bank
450 Penn St Reading, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Sovereign Bank Unbelievably rude...even when paying them...impossible to deal with... Reading Pennsylvania

I took out a car loan with Sovereign Bank about 2 years ago. Got in WAY over my head. I can admit it, it was my own fault.

I've been late making payments on the loan a couple of times in the past 2 years. Not something I am proud of, but it happened. Each and every time I have called to make a payment, the people there are rude, condescending, and difficult to deal with.

Case in point. I tried calling today to make payment on my loan. I called several times and each time I was transferred to someone's voicemail. I kept calling back hoping someone there would want to put in 2 minutes of work and take my payment. Guess not.

Finally, I asked the representative why I kept getting transferred to voicemail. She snapped at me, saying that I was supposed to leave a message and wait for a call back. This person was supposedly my "Account Manager" and I can only deal directly with him. And that they are very busy and can not have me keep calling. So, I let her transfer me, again.

I left a message for a call back. After over an hour, I finally called them back again.

This time, as if through some miracle, when I was transferred I actually got a live human voice. I spoke with Mr. Jerk ( I don't recall the fake name he gave me). This guy was a real piece of work. I started out by saying that I was calling to make payments on my account. His response was, "Well who are you?" I gave him my name and started to give my account number when he rudely interrupted me saying, "I didn't ask for that!" Clearly good customer service is not part of this guys training.

He finally found my account and started reading aloud to himself, but just quiet enough to where I really couldn't understand him. When he was done reading, he said, "Ok...what do you want to do?" I responded by saying that I wanted to make payment to get the account current. He said, "Well that sounds like a good idea seeing as how this is out for repo."

I made the payment with him, giving him my bank information. Once that was done, he starts reading aloud to himself again. He then said that when other people had called me about this, I hung up on them. He continued saying that it is very rude and that they do not appreciate being hung up on. Before I could say anything, he said, "Well I guess we're done here. Make sure you make your next payment by the due date."

I have never experienced such poor customer service. Now, I understand that I owe their company money, and that I am late with my payments. But, with the state of the economy most banks should be very happy that their customers make payments instead of letting their accounts charge off or their vehicles get repo'd. I just doesn't make much sense to completely alienate your customers just becuase they are behind on their payments.

Glen Allen, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/27/2009 11:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sovereign-Bank/Reading-Pennsylvania-19602/Sovereign-Bank-Unbelievably-rudeeven-when-paying-themimpossible-to-deal-with-Read-416790. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sovereign Bank