Complaint Review: Spark Energy

• Submitted: Sun, October 10, 2004
  • Updated: Sun, October 10, 2004

• Reported By:san antonio Texas
Spark Energy
2603 Augusta Drive #1400 Houston, Texas U.S.A.

Spark Energy ripoff,unexplained charges, refused to disconnect service, no customer service Houston Texas

I would like to file a formal complaint against Spark Energy of Houston, TX. I was a commercial customer of Spark Energy a couple of years ago. After the transfer of my store to another party, I contacted Spark to close my account. I was told the account could not be closed until the balance was paid.

I tried for weeks to close the account contacting Spark by phone, fax, and mail. I made payment arrangements with the customer service department and faxed a check for $600, the balance to be paid in full, just so I could turn the power off. I paid the balance off within a few months and thought my account was terminated, but months later I received another bill with miscellaneous fees and late fees. I contacted customer service to verify and was told fees were added later and to just pay them. I spoke with customer service representative supervisor Ralph and was told I would be called back. Instead of returning my call, an erroneous balance was given to a law firm for collections and I received a letter from them.

I contacted the supervisor Ralph again, and was told to just pay what we tell you or it will ruin your credit. I tried to get an explanation and was met with a few smart remarks and then he hung up. I called back to get Ralph's supervisor and was transferred back to him. He informed me there was no person above him at this time so he was the final word on all customer service matters and when I persisted, he hung up again. Poor customer service is bad enough, but what about the following?

Can a company refuse to disconnect service until payment is made?

Can a company assign charges after an account has been paid in full?

As a consumer, I have been bullied into paying these fees as well as paying for service weeks after trying to disconnect. I urge the commission to investigate independently to see how this company is treating consumers. As power is almost a necessity they should not have the power to hold electricity, bills, or charges over our heads this way.

Former Customer
City, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/10/2004 06:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spark-Energy/Houston-Texas-77057/Spark-Energy-ripoffunexplained-charges-refused-to-disconnect-service-no-customer-servic-112314. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Spark Energy